• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Adds New Fullmetal Alchemist, Sengoku Basara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder whether Manga will get the dub from Funi or make a new one. Hope for the latter though, because Manga has already dubbed lots of titles in the way Sengoku Basara should be dubbed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I would like to hear a Manga Entertainment dub for FMA.

With Sharon Holm as Riza Hawkeye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The only Manga Entertainment series I have is Tactics, but they've done a good job, so I'm happy for the series that got licensed by them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
AMG S2 R2, at last!
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy the UK is getting FMA, they still don't have the first series licensed, nice to see other fans from over there will get nice shows.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'll wait and buy the UK release, as it's nice to hear of something I want to buy coming out over here, rather than having to buy it from the states like I have to do with so much stuff I get (and occasionally be stung by customs charges on top!).

Although a UK Blu-ray release would make me much happier, as while I have a multi-region DVD player, I don't have multi-region Blu-ray...
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I wonder whether Manga will get the dub from Funi or make a new one. Hope for the latter though, because Manga has already dubbed lots of titles in the way Sengoku Basara should be dubbed.

This is manga as in funis UK distrubutor me thinks. I doubt they'd dub anything themselves unless it was an undubbed film (they turn far better profit than series from what I hear). Come on most UK distro can't aford to master DVDs (requires NTSC-PAL conversion) they share the same r2/r4 master with madman. Negima?!, for example, only said it was madman in the DVD credits in smallprint.
mglittlerobin wrote:
I'm happy the UK is getting FMA, they still don't have the first series licensed, nice to see other fans from over there will get nice shows.
We had it licenced until about 6 months ago, not too hard to find yet, but soon will be I fear.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...with free streaming of the episodes on the company's website "soon."

Regardless of how tentative this claim is, I expect they'll implement the service long before Funimation finally reverts the "temporary" access restrictions on their video portal. At least we'll have legal access to this title once again.

Reaper gI wrote:
This is manga as in funis UK distrubutor me thinks.

I was lead to assume Revelation Films fulfilled such a role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

Regardless of how tentative this claim is, I expect they'll implement the service long before Funimation finally reverts the "temporary" access restrictions on their video portal. At least we'll have legal access to this title once again.

Reaper gI wrote:

Revelation lost that right back in '07, They won't even complete the few licences they still have before it went to Manga UK, though they said they would. Been waiting for the rest of Hell Girl for years now. Rolling Eyes
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

Reaper gI wrote:

MVM were then Revelation were (last releases were in may), now Manga are. I hope they pick up some of the old rights and keep some titles available on boxed set. 1-2 year old shows being OOP is very bad for newcomers who'll buy something in shop only to realise one random volume of the series is impossible to find or very expensive.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
FMA is good news, but Sengoku Basara? I'm not sure why they got this license, but I still hope that it does sell well, since I definitely won't be spending a penny with this.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
Two obvious licenses. They just need Eden of the East and Soul Eater then that's pretty much a full sweep of FUNi's most popular, and most likley potentially best selling shows of 2010.
One problem is no Blu-ray = no buy.
FMA is popular enough to entitle half season Blu-ray sets and Sengoku Basara is a possible.
Both also have native HD masters, something Manga UK like to stick by (they've stated they won't release upscaled Blu-ray releases as they see no point).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Two obvious licenses. They just need Eden of the East and Soul Eater then that's pretty much a full sweep of FUNi's most popular, and most likley potentially best selling shows of 2010.

Manga probably hasn't licensed these themselves but are distributing for FUNimation, so it comes down to whether FUNimation managed to obtain (or even wanted) the UK rights to those shows and whether they choose to exercise them. If FUNimation doesn't have the UK rights to one of their titles for whatever reason it isn't impossible for Manga to negotiate them separately of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1