• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steamboy Theatrical Release Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Nobody understand that US version is 20 min shorter than original Japanese theatrical release version. US version is directer's cut.
Otomo had to cut it for the American audience(except anime otaku) who dislikes long length animation.
Bandai Visual has announced it officially.
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not only is this dubbed, but it's been butchered by 20 minutes

Do not support butchered anime, even the dublovers can get behind that. Do not see it, view it, and actively recommend others don't.

The reviews I've read of it said it could probably have been trimmed down a little anyway, 20 minutes is probably more than they were talking about I admit, but still...

It's this sort of viewpoint that causes anime to fail miserably at the box office in the US. If a cut version flops at the box office what will that tell the execs? Will it make them sit up and say "Ah, I get it. We need to release uncut subbed versions nationwide. That'll bring in the big bucks."? Or will it make them say "Drat, I guess there's not a big market for these types of films here. I guess we don't need to do this type of release in the future."?

I'm not saying I like the idea of a cut version, or the reality of one, but I'll go see it if it plays near me-sub or dub, chopped or not. And I'll probably be recommending it to all my friends too.

Quote:
Sony is starting to fall into the MiramAxe trap, first they cut Flying Daggars and now this. It cannot be tolerated.

They cut Flying Daggers by what, less than a minute? I can think of one thing I know they cut and one other thing they might have but can't recall off the top of my head.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Otomo has a choice here, considering that Steamboy didn't exactly do Howl numbers in Japan, where it should theoretically be a greater success than in the U.S. And he hasn't had a major hit there since Memories, which now makes him an even bigger investment risk in the industry than Oshii, who at least has the excuse of being on hiatus. If Otomo-san can't deliver a return internationally, he'll probably be forced to co-produce low-budget projects for a while like Gainax after Honneamise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2