• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Stairway to Heaven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Veers wrote:
Will double check when I get home from work and post an update.

Kudos. For if this is indeed an issue, I'll be sure to send FUNimation a nice little email regarding this issue should progressive scan not fix it.
Wink
After further testing, I feel I should soften my accusations. I am convinced this issue has something to do with something "wrong" with Funi's discs combined with my computer serving as a DVD player, and not my TV. I swung by my parents' house tonight after work and popped the DVD into their Sony stand-alone DVD player and it looked fine on their 720p TV with and without progressive scan turned on. I played it on one of their desktop computers and it looked fine. I got home and popped it in my PS2 to double-check, and there is some artifacting and blur but it's not as bad as the screenshot I posted. I popped it in my secondary DVD drive on my desktop PC and it looks bad again.

So. Maybe this is a special case for me. Maybe it's PowerDVD or maybe it's something with my video card (I've already checked the NVIDIA control panel and the PowerDVD configuration menus and didn't find much, and what I did find didn't make any difference). I guess I should just get a stand-alone DVD player or a PS3 or something.

But! This does not explain why Funi's DVDs look so bad when played from my PC while none of my other DVDs (anime or otherwise) do this.

And! This does not mean you should skip out on this anime just because the frame transition looks crappy for me, because I think I've narrowed it down to bad mojo in my player hardware/software, not a TV setting and not a major issue with the disc's encoding.

Last edited by Veers on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
mckg1 wrote:
I'm going to hold back on Baccano! until i know if or when there is a Blu Ray release. the other ones don't interest me. lol being honest Very Happy
Anime is the only thing I buy on DVD anymore, but I just can't bring myself to buy Baccano! because I KNOW the second I do, the blu-ray will be announced. I would really like to have an anime series in HD that's not just an upscale.
Well I started to collect D.Gray man ( just bought season 1 part one, part 2 comes out in april). I have Full metal panic! The Second Raid on Blu Ray and there are a bunch more that are released on Blu Ray right now. Check Funi, bandai and manga ent, they have anime released on Blu Ray.
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Veers wrote:
Will double check when I get home from work and post an update.

Kudos. For if this is indeed an issue, I'll be sure to send FUNimation a nice little email regarding this issue should progressive scan not fix it.
Wink
After further testing, I feel I should soften my accusations. I am convinced this issue has something to do with something "wrong" with Funi's discs combined with my computer serving as a DVD player, and not my TV. I swung by my parents' house tonight after work and popped the DVD into their Sony stand-alone DVD player and it looked fine on their 720p TV with and without progressive scan turned on. I played it on one of their desktop computers and it looked fine. I got home and popped it in my PS2 to double-check, and there is some artifacting and blur but it's not as bad as the screenshot I posted. I popped it in my secondary DVD drive on my desktop PC and it looks bad again.

So. Maybe this is a special case for me. Maybe it's PowerDVD or maybe it's something with my video card (I've already checked the NVIDIA control panel and the PowerDVD configuration menus and didn't find much, and what I did find didn't make any difference). I guess I should just get a stand-alone DVD player or a PS3 or something.

But! This does not explain why Funi's DVDs look so bad when played from my PC while none of my other DVDs (anime or otherwise) do this.

And! This does not mean you should skip out on this anime just because the frame transition looks crappy for me, because I think I've narrowed it down to bad mojo in my player hardware/software, not a TV setting and not a major issue with the disc's encoding.
You should, its a three in one deal. My PS3 is my main dvd, Blu Ray, and video game player.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
Code Geass, but really, that's clearly a show intended more for girls (as in me) than for mech fans.

Really? Sure the cast may have been made up of good-looking guys, but that's fully compromised with girls having all their half-naked scenes or wearing revealing outfits... I thought Gundam Seed was a real girl-friendly series, although some may beg to differ on that.

I assumed Code Geass was for both genders when I watched it, but Gerald and Daryl from Anime World Order laughed at me, claiming no boys like that show. Same with Gundam Seed.

I imagine they were joking when they said that, or just bashing the shows in a "unique way". Considering the huge amount of Code Geass doujin available (and a decent amount for Seed), I guarantee you there are plenty of male viewers. Code Geass has both bishonen and bishoujo, so the character designers (CLAMP themselves, IIRC) were definitely aiming it at both genders.

And to add to the Baccano maturity discussion, it's definitely a TV-MA show, though definitely not as bad as most in that rating-level. Because I'm pretty sure spoiler[a kid getting his head blown off] is not something you see in TV-14 material. Speaking of ratings, it's always bothered me that FUNi rated the first FMA as TV-PG. It's rarely violent, but the moments where it does get that way are definitely TV-14 at least spoiler[the first episode alone shows us a 10 year-old's bloody stump where his leg used to be.]
leeleekins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
it makes me so happy to see baccano is being reconized as a good show by so many people^^ (and i am so glad it was licenced so i could buy it!) i already bought all the dvds (the minute the first one came out) and now they're tempting me with a boxset with a new picture on the cover, extras...(*sigh* thats what i get for being a hardcore fan of the series, damn it all!). all i need now is for the novels to be released here and ill be the happiest fan in the world (since there literally is NO OTHER MERCH FOR ME TO BUY for the series)
i am NOT a dub person and i adore baccanos dub. cheesy accents? so what? the type of accents in the show are the kind that are nearly impossible not to sound cheesy doing. violence? like the review said it was graphic but not to the point of feeling sick. to me the violence was so over the top i wasnt bothered by it ^^
overall baccano is a great show with interesting characters, a crazy cool plot and i totally agree that it is DEFINITELY shelf worthy
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of being redundant I will add my voice to the growing chorus and say that Baccano!! was my favorite release of 2009 and I am happy Erin made it "shelf worthy". I think the series has re-watch value too. I ended up marathon-ing it over the holidays with guests. I originally had planned on just showing the first disc, but the group got so involved in the story they insisted on a marathon. I will probably double-dip if it shows up on blue-ray.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I really wish I could show Baccano at my anime club but the video clubs at my college have a rule that we can't show R rated (which seems to be the same as Mature) movies. I'm sure we could get away with it, but since a character loses fingers (and then regains them, which is almost squickyer) in the first five minutes I don't know how well that would go over.
BUT, I'm someone who was put off by all the reports of gore in Baccano at first, but after I heard so many good reviews I jumped on the chance to watch it dubbed on Hulu when it came out. And I am now happily staring at my boxset and thinking that when I get really depressed about the economy I'll watch about when it was even worse. Anime hyper

On the Code Geass topic, I'm a girl but I was watching it more for the mechas and overblown politics, the good looking cast members were just a bonus. Then again, I did try it since I heard that CLAMP did the character designs so I'm sure that accounts for a good bit of the female viewership....
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I really wish I could show Baccano at my anime club but the video clubs at my college have a rule that we can't show R rated (which seems to be the same as Mature) movies.

What? Why not? That's the sort of thing I'd expect at a high school anime club, not one at the collegiate level.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
Gotta add to all the Baccano! love! I do not generally enjoy mindless violence, but this show had me transfixed. My one regret was that I watched the first 3 DVDs via my Animelane rental account, then bought vol. 4. Now I have a dillema: should I buy the first 3 singles? Double-dip on 4 and just buy the boxset? Or listen to my wallet screaming at me not to buy when I can get the milk (legally) for free on Hulu...one day...when I have a real computer and internet access in my possesion (Hulu will never play on my Blackberry! Never! Boo-hoo!)

Am I the only fan who liked Ladd more than Claire? Ladd seemed over-the-top funny crazy, while Claire just seemed...crazy-crazy, if that makes any sense. He did grow on me in the bonus eps, though Smile

I'm a native New Yawka and I *loved* the dub to bits! Cheesy, over-the-top New Yawk ganstas from the 30s sounded just like they were supposed to and added to the fun so much that I'm debating whether to watch it in Japanese at all. 'Cept for the bonus eps, 'because I heard Sugi-tan (the seiyuu of Gintoki in Gintama) struts his stuff in those eps!

Erin, as always I love your fun, geeky, old-timey references, even when I don't get them (I never got a chance to watch Dr. Who). Reading Rainbow! Newsies! I just watched that movie recently, and boy, has Christian Bale changed! {OT-underappreciated, brilliant musical based on actual events with a great soundtrack by Alan Menkin. It deserves to be on Broadway way, way more than Greenday's American Idiot musical does! Sad}

------
Just a note---I'm a girl who watched Code Geass for the lulz, over-the-top everything and almost Abridged-like anime cliches...A disposed and deported prince with Daddy issues and a sister complex (or two)? Green haired, super-power granting immortal witches? Gratuitous shower scenes, maid ninjas, your-best-friend-is-your-rival trope, and talking about lesbians, anyone remember a certain bespectacled, unhinged "nuclear" teenaged scientist? Needless to say, my fav character was Lloyd, because somehow he always seemed in on (or at least unfazed by) the craziness of it all.

The last ep did get to me, though. Unironically thought provoking. (at least upon the first viewing--and the fact that I thought it merited multiple viewing says a lot...) For all the smack I lay on Code Geass, it had a very interesting and satisfying conclusion that made me see the hype and fandom in a new way (no spoilers--just a wild roller coaster that ended with a proper "thud", no matter how I "interpret it!)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Am I the only fan who liked Ladd more than Claire?

Not at all, Ladd is definitely my favorite of the crazies, and my 2nd favorite overall (Firo being my fav). I just wish they had attempted a younger sounding voice for the dub. The voice actor does fine with the acting and with the constant changes in Ladd's temperment, but the overall voice just does not fit him, in my opinion. He should sound 25, not 45 =\
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow... people trying to defend Baccano! as PG-13 material blows my mind... episode 9 alone, with thespoiler[ torture sequence] should give this an R/TV-MA rating, though it is by far the worst episode in the series.
I said 13+ not PG-13! Very Happy But seriously, I don't think it's a stretch to call it R-rated on violence alone, and I'm certainly not going to lie and say it's tame. But I stand by my statement that if you can handle exploding heads and people being melted and ground up in machines a la James Bond movies (some of which, IIRC, are rated R), you can handle Baccano (which includes heads exploding and people being ground up on railroad tracks).

Well, that's what PG-13 is technically supposed to mean. In terms of violence... I guess I'd compare it to the yakuza scenes in Kill Bill Vol. 1: bloody, gory, twisted, but also strangely funny.

Agent355 wrote:
Am I the only fan who liked Ladd more than Claire? Ladd seemed over-the-top funny crazy, while Claire just seemed...crazy-crazy, if that makes any sense. He did grow on me in the bonus eps, though

It was the bonus episodes that turned Claire into my favorite character. I have to believe that spoiler[his total doting on Chane is a large part of what makes him popular; most of the fanart I've seen that features him has him with Chane as well.] Ladd kind of creeps me out with Lua and everything, but he is "funny crazy," and makes for a wonderful, amusing villain. I really want to read the books if for no other reason than to see if he really does spoiler[make it to Alcatraz to try to kill Huey], because that would be awesome!
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Veers wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow... people trying to defend Baccano! as PG-13 material blows my mind... episode 9 alone, with thespoiler[ torture sequence] should give this an R/TV-MA rating, though it is by far the worst episode in the series.
I said 13+ not PG-13! Very Happy But seriously, I don't think it's a stretch to call it R-rated on violence alone, and I'm certainly not going to lie and say it's tame. But I stand by my statement that if you can handle exploding heads and people being melted and ground up in machines a la James Bond movies (some of which, IIRC, are rated R), you can handle Baccano (which includes heads exploding and people being ground up on railroad tracks).

Well, that's what PG-13 is technically supposed to mean. In terms of violence... I guess I'd compare it to the yakuza scenes in Kill Bill Vol. 1: bloody, gory, twisted, but also strangely funny.
Yeah, and double-checking on the DVD case last night, it is a TV-MA rating; I was thinking I had seen the little "13UP" on the case, but I must have been thinking of a different DVD.
Astribulus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm joining the chorus of support for Baccano! That one's definitely shelfworthy. I'm also a little surprised no one in this thread has mentioned Durarara! The source light novels are from the same author, and it's currently being simulcast over on Crunchy Roll. I know I'd call it streamworthy so far. It's got a cast as large and quirky as you'd expect. How can you go wrong with a headless motorcycle rider, a black Russian sushi seller, and a man with the bad habit of throwing vending machines at people? The only thing that's driving me crazy is the week long wait. There are only 4 episodes made so far.

erinfinnegan wrote:

I assumed Code Geass was for both genders when I watched it, but Gerald and Daryl from Anime World Order laughed at me, claiming no boys like that show. Same with Gundam Seed.

I really can't say I see any reason to laugh. I'm a male and... ok, in the end I didn't like Code Geass. That wasn't for any demographic reason. For the first two-thirds or so of season one, I thought it was great. It was only after they wrote themselves into a corner spoiler[with the self governed region] that I had a major problem with it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
What was up with the season finale of Doctor Who, anyway? It was god-awful. It made me nostalgic for the bad old days of Doctor Who (as in "The Green Death" bad). It was like the writers threw cause and effect out the window. I wanted to see a little more of the Master, although not quite like that.
I have to disagree. I think that episode had more background about The Master than anything written previously. You obviously didn't pay attention to what the Uud said at the end. Wink The best thing about the "End Of Time" was seeing Timothy Dalton "spitting" out his lines, not once, but several times. Great moments in television. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
@Megiddo: I love Firo, too! Definately my favorite character! He was so loyal and lovable! (not to mention accepting of an...odd situation or 3).
------------
@Astribulus: I am super-psyched about Durara! Maybe by the time I can access Crunchyroll, Funi might get their hands on it! Either way, I can't wait to check it out!
------------------------

@Vash: I don't want to use spoiler tags on my Bberry, but what was up with Chane? I didn't get her at all! Was she a...biological child by nature, or by creation? (if you know what I mean), and why was she unable to talk? I had the impression it was a physical condition...would you mind explaining her a bit? I pretty much consider you ANN's resident Baccano! expert Wink (you also get the prize for being the resident Naoki Urasawa expert...are the 20thCB movies up to snuff?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7