• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Stairway to Heaven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
what was up with Chane? I didn't get her at all! Was she a...biological child by nature, or by creation? (if you know what I mean), and why was she unable to talk? I had the impression it was a physical condition...would you mind explaining her a bit?

This is explained in the three extra episodes that follow the original thirteen.

spoiler[I *believe* that she is Huey's (one of the original immortals) biological child because she ages, though we don't see anything of her mother so I guess it's not impossible that she's a homonculous like Ennis. We do see Chane as a child, and she can speak.

However, when her father explains to her the situation; his immortality and the power that it comes with, he tells Chane that she must keep it a secret--that he wanted her to know, but not to tell. He tells her that as a reward for accepting this burden from him, he would do for her anything she asks, and her request, as it turns out, is that he take away her ability to speak (to protect the secret), so he does (further evidence that either a) the immortals may have more powers than they really make evident or b) that Chane is a homonculous, but I prefer to think she isn't, and will until shown otherwise Razz]
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
spoiler[a) the immortals may have more powers than they really make evident or b) that Chane is a homonculous, but I prefer to think she isn't, and will until shown otherwise Razz]

I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression spoiler[that he simply cut out her tongue. And even if he didn't, there are plenty of other perfectly ordinary (and horrible) ways to make a person mute without resorting to special powers.]
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression spoiler[that he simply cut out her tongue. And even if he didn't, there are plenty of other perfectly ordinary (and horrible) ways to make a person mute without resorting to special powers.]
Really? O_o I didn't get that vibe at all, but I can't really deny the possibility, given the level of violence in the show--but the thing is, he had his right hand on her head like during that entire exchange which is why I was thinking it wasn't anything so, well, messy. Huey seemed sad when he was thinking back to the conversation, but I just took that as a father's sadness at how being mute (by whatever means) would change her life; immortal or not, I was just thinking he was still human enough for that kind of compassion.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Guess it all depends on how you see his character. To me Huey always seemed like a total bastard, who was only manipulating Chane towards his own ends, so doing something like that would have been totally in line with his characterisation. Plus, there might have been some hints in the series, but it's been a while so I'm not sure anymore.
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
How come more masculine shows always make it to shelf worthy, and moe and shoujo shows barely ever do? I'm not saying that Baccano and Conan are bad shows and shoujo reigns supreme, but I just noticed that.

I could be wrong, but shows like Clannad, etc don't get as much credit as I think they should. Girl anime in general is not.

Sorry if I'm wrong. I'm really not mad, just an observation.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
@Vash: I don't want to use spoiler tags on my Bberry, but what was up with Chane? I didn't get her at all! Was she a...biological child by nature, or by creation? (if you know what I mean), and why was she unable to talk? I had the impression it was a physical condition...would you mind explaining her a bit? I pretty much consider you ANN's resident Baccano! expert Wink

I'm not sure whether I'm an "expert." I've only read a little of the books, for instance, and I'm sure they go more into some of the background in those (there are about 10 books, I believe, and the series covers about 3 of them).

But yes, spoiler[Chane is Huey's biological daughter, this I know as a fact. As to why she can't talk, it could be something unpleasantly physical like removing her tongue or (more likely) larynx, but this is world of alchemy and the like, and Huey seems to be able to communicate with her from a distance (maybe?) so I wouldn't rule out magic. And yeah, Huey's a total jackass. She'll be better off with her ax-crazy-awesome boyfriend.]

Quote:
(you also get the prize for being the resident Naoki Urasawa expert...are the 20thCB movies up to snuff?)

Haven't seen 'em yet. Plan to, though, even if they wind up stinking.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Re: Case closed. I liked this movie and agree, it felt like a summer blockbuster at the end.

Re: Baccano! That show rocked. I love the OP. Personally I thought the first episode was really interesting because I had no idea what was going on by the end. Laughing

Quote:
I assumed Code Geass was for both genders when I watched it, but Gerald and Daryl from Anime World Order laughed at me, claiming no boys like that show.

Well, those two would call Hanzo the Razor a pansy.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Kudos. For if this is indeed an issue, I'll be sure to send FUNimation a nice little email regarding this issue should progressive scan not fix it.
Wink

Are you serious? I rarely buy any DVDs and was considering the Baccano! complete series (as I've always enjoyed those old Warner Bros. gangster movies and this looks like a nice modern take on one), but if it requires progressive scan to look right, then count me out of it. There's not a single progressive TV used in this house.

Call me technologically behind, but I have no intentions of swapping out any television set in this house until one is rendered unusable. And considering I often play Wii and Xbox 360 on a TV made in 1979 (coaxial input, wood finish, dials, weighs a thousand pounds and takes up more space than a refrigerator--not to mention running perfectly smoothly), I'll probably be living in the last remaining house on Earth to still run on 480i.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Are you serious?

I would have been had the issue not been due to technical problems of the PC Veers were playing it on.

In other words, had I seen interlaced crap like that when I had it on progressive scan, you can bet I'd be writing FUNimation about it.

One should always be serious when writing to a corporation regarding their products regardless if the message is negative or not.

Complaining on a forum does nothing unless those from FUNimation peruse it, which doesn't look to be often.

Which is a shame in itself, really.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's good then. I know that less than half of American households have HDTVs, and it would've been a dumb move for any company to release something only for progressive scan.

Felt kind of odd seeing people mention only 720p or 1080p.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, leafy sea dragon, I really don't think it's a problem with my TV or solely a problem with the DVD (though there is obviously something "different" or "wrong" since only Funimation discs do this when played on my PC that I can't figure out how to fix), as detailed in previous posts. It should look fine on your SD sets provided your player doesn't take offense to the discs like mine apparently does.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to episode 5 of Baccano and I'm bored out of mind. What do I do nao?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:

cool story bro.

anyway, i enjoyed Baccano! and glad to see it Shelf Worthy.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:

Baccano! won't explain itself until later on. Up to episode 5 it's quite confusing and hard to understand, and that could result in boredom. If I were you, I'd keep watching it. But you need to pay attention otherwise you won't understand anything later on. Many scenes from earlier episodes will be explained during the last episodes, and that's when you'll see what part of it is fun. Just like Erin said, this is a show that will make you want to re-watch once you're done with it.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
I would point out that, technically speaking, Funimation did not name Ai Anita in the dub. Viz named her Anita in their release of the manga, but Funimation named her Vi (probably because it would match the lip flaps better). The encyclopedia currently, incorrectly lists her as Anita Hailey, so maybe that's why this article is incorrect. The dub clearly indicates that her name is Vi Graythorn. So, while many Case Closed characters get two names, she gets three.

And as for her not being seen in the TV show, the first episode that she shows up in is in a season which Funimation hasn't licensed yet, so anyone who hasn't watched fansubs or read the manga (official or scanilated), will be introduced to her for the first time with the recent movies.

As for Baccano, I don't understand how anyone could think that it's PG-13. It's one of the most violent anime series that I've ever seen. There's not only lots of blood, but quite a bit of gore as well. I mean, you get multiple people whose limbs spoiler[are ground into the railroad tracks while the train is moving]. It is highly violent, and Funimation definitely gave it a TV-MA. It's a great series, but it's far more violent than PG-13. If it were only of PG-13 level, it would have been labeled TV-14, not TV-MA like it is. If you can't stomach a fair bit of violence, then it's definitely not for you regardless of how great the plot and characters may be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7