• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Coraline's Uesugi Wins Annie, But Not Miyazaki, Hisaishi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad Futurama got some recognition. Smile
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Coraline, but Neil Gaiman is awesome.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
At least Uesugi accepted his award personally, and another series besides The Simpsons got recognition.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
Huh. I didn't realize that Coraline's art direction was headed by a Japanese artist. I know there was also a comic by artist P Craig Russel which had a more realistic look. Meanwhile the original novel had illustrations by another frequent Gaiman collaborator, Dave McKean. Personally, I love all of their styles. Nice to find out who was behind the movie design.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
I didn't realise any Japanese artists worked on Coraline. My feelings on that movie were kind of mixed- I felt it was very good as it's own entity while not really being what I wanted out of an adaptation of the book- but you can't deny it looked spectacular.
pepper_gray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
I feel that it was newsworthy that Miyazaki and Hisaishi were nominated and I also feel that it's newsworthy that Uesugi won an award. However, I don't feel that the fact that Miyazaki and Hisaishi didn't win anything is worthy of being a headline. As well as Ponyo did relative to its predecessors at the US box office, it's far from Studio Ghibli's best work. While it was wonderfully cute and fun to watch, it did nothing revolutionary and didn't really do a lot to challenge people's thinking. If the Annies are truly looking to reward particular accomplishment in filmmaking then they did well to look at other films.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
pepper_gray wrote:
As well as Ponyo did relative to its predecessors at the US box office, it's far from Studio Ghibli's best work. While it was wonderfully cute and fun to watch, it did nothing revolutionary and didn't really do a lot to challenge people's thinking. If the Annies are truly looking to reward particular accomplishment in filmmaking then they did well to look at other films.
Seeing as it's target is the 5 and up level, having to think about it was avoided at all costs. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1