• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ninja Science

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I might give Star Ocean a shot. I'll see because with White Knight Chronicles just a few days away and The Last Rebellion a few weeks a way, and Sword of Uruk(anime) on the way and season 1 Part two of D.Gray Man on Blu Ray, Also GOD OF WAR 3. I really don't know if i'll be able to get star ocean. I'll see hows the money flowing... Confused
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Xenoblade... That sword and a nice splash illustration are all that can be seen at the official website, though there's a rather striking piece of music to accompany them. Is this the work of Yasunori Mitsuda, the composer for Chrono Cross and Xenosaga?

It could be. It's definitely not Kajiura's style (Xenosaga II and III). One thing is for sure... it's beautiful.

And as far as I'm concerned, that name change to Xenoblade made it a must-buy for me. I would have never paid enough attention to it to know the staff behind it before, but now that I know who is making it, I want it.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
I'll see because with White Knight Chronicles just a few days away ...

It's not a few days away, it's out now, if you haven't noticed the new skin and the banner ads all over the site.

Letthemeatraep wrote:
Also, while I still don't get why games like Bioshock 2 are appearing on this column...

Geez, does you guys actually read the column, or just jump straight to the reviews? You're the second person I know of to be complaining/asking about this. There were 2-3 columns in a row end of November-early December where Todd mused about reviewing games that came from outside Japan, and he decided on going for it. The expanded coverage is evidence of this, and not a bad thing.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get Excited If: You gave up on the Xbox 360 version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope not because of the pacing or plot, but because of the battle portraits..
I think the sad thing is that some people really did give up on the game for this reason, rather than a legitimate one, like the fact that the game itself is pretty terrible in almost every single way.
AiddonValentine wrote:
I would make a stupid joke about The Last Story's title, but considering that Sakaguchi has more rights to FF's name than Square does I really don't mind.
Also, that joke has been beaten to death since the game was announced.
teh*darkness wrote:
Combining the word Xeno, which is known for both Xenogears (YAY) and Xenosaga (yay?) with "blade" would definitely pique some interest in the title, if not create a mass of blind buys.
I dunno, I really don't think having "Xeno" in the title would help sales as much as people think it would. At the end of the day, it's still a JRPG in North America, which means it'd be lucky if it gets over 150k in sales.
Letthemeatraep wrote:
I think NOT having to listen to Lymle's **** awful dub voice for the PS3 version is far more of a selling point than "anime portraits".
But... then you'll have to listen to Lymle's **** awful Japanese voice...
belvadeer wrote:
LH International: I suppose people will get this because the English acting was so average and the in-battle portraits were replaced with those crummy CG ones in the 360 version.
Well, to be fair, the Japanese voice acting isn't really any better (bad script, characters, etc.) and the CG portraits actually kinda fit the game better than the anime ones, even if they are uglier to look at.
Quote:
They'd have been better keeping the whole game anime-style like SO3 so that all this fuss could have been avoided.
I'll give you that one, although it wouldn't make the game itself any better.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
I was working on a car the other day and I suddenly had past memory. Inindo: Way of the Ninja and how I never finished it. Weird that you would mention it. Shocked

I can't wait to get Bioshock 2, man. Did anyone else find the hidden staircase, where all the creepy plaster mannequins actually come to life, and chase you around? You had to go out of your way to find it.

DATA EAST ARCADE CLASSICS: I'm sad to realize that those in the know, and those with a rom fetish have no use for collections such as these. Not since they found out how to reverse engineer the frame from such collections, for emulators. They are part of history.

Hold, on. Who keeps buying these Star Ocean games? Same group that thinks Persona 3 was "new" and "fresh" I'm guessing. Megaten games are awesome, though.

SUPER MONKEY BALL STEP & ROLL : I'd step over my own grandmother for another serious Monkey Ball title. I'm serious. Monkey Ball 2 is something that will never leave my collection. Everything from the music, to the levels, the anger it brought on, and the Wavebird that made it all possible. Classic. This new one just looks like a pain. Especially that guitar string level.

METAL WARRIORS: I will never forget where I was, when I had first played this game. I was super into sprite art at the time, and this game has so much tiny detail it's astounding. Try making sprites, it's tough. It's such a note worthy title in my opinion. A great title for a collector, in any range of collecting.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos: Well people wanted the Japanese because, as you say, even if the acting is only marginally better emoted, the thing that really irked people was Lymle's "kay" which turns out to be a poor and inelegant way to say "na no yo" despite that it's actually correct to some degree as well as Matthew Mercer completely missing the point behind Edge's character. And yes, some people wanted the anime style HUD in battle rather than the ugly CG things that combined anime with realism. Trust me, the list of complaints is longer than you think. Even the disc swapping to get to old planets you visited is understandably a decent complaint.

On a whole, the entire game needs some serious revamping. But since Star Ocean has reached the end of its long journey through video game space, that's no longer possible.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Todd, just so you know, you don't have to say "1-Various" for the number of players in Data East Arcade Classics, as the focus of that collection is the fact that every game in it can be played with 2 players, so "1-2" under number of players would be just fine.

Now if we get a second collection that has games like Road Blaster (which is single-player only) and Dunk Dream '96 (which goes up to 4 players) then the "Various" can certainly apply. I'm actually kind of surprised that this colelction doesn't have either of the Fighter's History titles, as that is one of Data East's more famous, or maybe infamous, series and it certainly was available to Majesco for this collection.

Oh well, let's hope for a second collection in the future, as there's too many titles from Data East that have to be played, and one collection is too little.
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I definitely buying DATA EAST ARCADE CLASSICS. I want to relive those old days of playing those games either at the arcade or on my 1st computer...commodore 64...yeah I said it. When I play those games, it makes me wish I was 7 years old again when arcade games were so awesome back then like trying to plea to my grandmother "Can I please have 4 quarters Grandma, pleeeassse" and she kindly replied "There you go knucklehead!"

LOL.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SUPER MONKEY BALL STEP & ROLL : I'd step over my own grandmother for another serious Monkey Ball title. I'm serious. Monkey Ball 2 is something that will never leave my collection. Everything from the music, to the levels, the anger it brought on, and the Wavebird that made it all possible. Classic. This new one just looks like a pain. Especially that guitar string level.

I think the Super Monkey Ball series wants to put in a different control scheme for each game; I see this as a defining trait of the series as a whole, as the only two games to have had the same control scheme are the first two. After that, it functioned on the D-pad, then on the DS touch screen, then the Wii Remote, then the iPod/iPhone motion sensor (which works way differently than the Wii Remote), and now the Wii Balance Board.

The WarioWare games work the exact same way. I'd bet the fans of that series would riot if two WarioWare games came out that worked around the same principle as far as control goes.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The Xbox version of SO 4 was an incomplete mess. I'm sorry, but which bright spark at Square Enix thought removing the targeting system was a bright idea should be fired out of a cannon into some sort of wall.

And the whole game has a whole load of issues beyond that. Man did I feel dirty for playing that game. Seriously, no other lesser fellpool up to that date dressed like catwoman after she had an accident with the paper shredder so why did that game start?

And Lemmel can just piss off for all I care. I swear, "It's thanks to you edge-y!" Every...freaking...victory.
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Wii only for Last Story and Xenoblade? Vomit. Way to alienate the key demographic of ps3 owners.
seryass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
Before I get on the topic I just want to ask Shadowrun a quick question. Who is that in your avatar as I'm sure I recognise that art style?

Now back on topic. Smile

I personally gave up on the Star Ocean franchise after the third game which was a huge letdown and contained what I feel to be one of the most overused, contrived and just plain irritating plot twists. From the sound of things the fourth game doesn't sound much better. The second game will always be my favourite but then bizarrely I seem to have a connection with second games in series (Suikoden 2, Star Ocean 2nd Story and Tokimeki Memorial 2 are all of my favourite games from their respective series). Of course this doesn't always apply (Final Fantasy and Front Mission stand out as being the exceptions) but it does happen more often than not for me.

I've always liked the look of Tatsunoko vs Capcom but sadly I don't have a Wii. On that topic I'm also upset that over here in Europe based on what I've read only the Wii version of Sakura Wars V will be coming out over here which also upset me.
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
yellow ledbetter wrote:
Wii only for Last Story and Xenoblade? Vomit. Way to alienate the key demographic of ps3 owners.
These games are being published by Nintendo (i.e They are first party titles). Way to sound like another hater.

seryass wrote:
I've always liked the look of Tatsunoko vs Capcom but sadly I don't have a Wii. On that topic I'm also upset that over here in Europe based on what I've read only the Wii version of Sakura Wars V will be coming out over here which also upset me.
I don't understand why people don't just get a Wii considering it being cheaper than the other two consoles. It's great that the Wii's getting its fair share of awesome titles and people are complaining it's not on PS3/XB360? I'm starting to believe that people are just making up excuses not to get one. Do really have some sort of affliction against Nintendo or something?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
seryass wrote:
Before I get on the topic I just want to ask Shadowrun a quick question. Who is that in your avatar as I'm sure I recognise that art style?
Latok from the Xak series. My particular picture is part of the intro from the Nec PCE-CD game "Fray in Magical Adventure". It's the Xak spinoff. Look around for the credits, I'm sure it will lead you to the illustrator.
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
seryass wrote:
Latok from the Xak series. My particular picture is part of the intro from the Nec PCE-CD game "Fray in Magical Adventure". It's the Xak spinoff. Look around for the credits, I'm sure it will lead you to the illustrator.
Funny, I thought it was Galaxy Fraulein Yuna's Mika Akitaka, considering the work he's done on PC-E games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3