• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Tales Told

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
You have to take into account that most of it is already voiced with the exception of the new arts, Patty and Flynn stuff.

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more. Vesperia did not have DLC that was not already in-game. However the PS3 version has over 80 new costumes for all the characters, that's more costumes than Graces F has. So if they charged the same amount for the costumes as they did Graces F, it would easily surpass Graces F's sales in terms of both DLC and initial sales.

Jesus Christ...and people say only American companies have absurd amounts of DLC.

But Japanese DLC tends to be cosmetic stuff like costumes. American DLC is like cut content from the game and stuff. >_> Cosmetic stuff takes no development time away from a game.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some fans felt that Tales of Vesperia had darker themes than other games in the series

If they say so. Confused I feel Abyss was quite darker, and Vesperia was only slightly darker than Symphonia. Graces F, on the other hand, was idealistic, almost stupidly so at times.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Graces F, on the other hand, was idealistic, almost stupidly so at times.

That was the idea. The game was just one big idealistic emphasis on doing whatever it takes to protect your friends, typical stuff you'd see in any shonen manga.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
You have to take into account that most of it is already voiced with the exception of the new arts, Patty and Flynn stuff.

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more. Vesperia did not have DLC that was not already in-game. However the PS3 version has over 80 new costumes for all the characters, that's more costumes than Graces F has. So if they charged the same amount for the costumes as they did Graces F, it would easily surpass Graces F's sales in terms of both DLC and initial sales.

Jesus Christ...and people say only American companies have absurd amounts of DLC.

But Japanese DLC tends to be cosmetic stuff like costumes. American DLC is like cut content from the game and stuff. >_> Cosmetic stuff takes no development time away from a game.

American DLC is not all cut content. You have to realize that games run on very strict developmet timelines. Before they even start on makig the first level they've already planned out everything that's gonna be in the game. Sometimes content simply CANNOT be finished within the deadline without sacrificing something else. So it's dropped. But, sometimes, they continue working on it and finish it after the game has already gone gold. So they offer it as DLC.

Seriously, the common gamer picture of a game developer as some mustache-twirling set of villians going "Hahahah! We shall cut out half the game and charge the players for it!" is just ridiculous. Nearly all DLC is planned before they even begin working on the game. It's highly useful when they have a strict deadline but don't want to just abandon content altogether.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
You know how companies release Sega Genesis and Atari replicas with emulated games for a decent price? (I thought it was decent, I got one for my uncle and he likes it).

Neo Geo X, much like the original Neo Geo, seems like a much more expensive version of that same concept. And yet I still want one.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, just noticed that all the images in the X Button articles have mouseover text. lol Kinda feel like going back to many of the articles...
Wetall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What would you say are the most popular Tales games in each region?

In the European and North American markets, I think Tales of Symphonia is the most popular.

No sh*t, sherlock.
You guys actually spent time and money marketing ToS over here. You didn't do a goddamned thing to market any of the other titles overseas!

God, it's stupidity like this on their side that prevents perfectly good titles from being released over here.
rojse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
I once bought a brand new copy of a Neo-Geo collection for the PS2 that had 16 games for $15. So, to show how much times have changed, let's round that number up to $16 with tax or whatever so all the games are $1 apiece. Now, let's take the rough estimate that Neo-Geo games were $200. That means the value of those games deteriorated to an estimated .5% of their original value. HALF A SINGLE PERCENT. Not even EA Sports games from 20 years ago (I'm sorry, EASN before ESPN pulled a lawsuit) lose that much value.

That's not a fair comparison - many people who play retro video games (myself included) see a huge difference between playing a game on the original cart, and playing the game. For example, I can buy Chrono trigger on half-a-dozen different consoles, not to mention the electronic version on the PSN that's under $10. However, if I want to buy a good-condition version of the original game with the box and manual on the SNES, it's going to cost me many times more than any ported version.
MopZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DISGAEArt!!! has art and not much else. And that art's penchant for suggestiveness sometimes veers into creepy terrain. It's particularly bad with Etna, who looks all of eleven years old and wears bondage gear.

It's pretty common in the fan-art too. Looking at the Etna's fan-art doesn't bother me as much as seeing the 18+ stuff done to Desco, though.

I really want a Desco plushie right now for some reason...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah...

Sega fighters... That takes me back!

$5 each???? ALL the ports of classic games over 10 years old should cost as much!

But seriously... Fighting Vipers is the one to get. I'm not a VF fan and you can bet the Sonic Fighters game is not all that serious. Sonic completists only for that one.

FV was among the first fighters to feature interactive background smashes... Yeah, you could do damage to BOTH your opponent and the immediate background! 80's designs or not, it was interesting to be able to play with street punks or with what were essentially Japanese street gang members.

As for Pepsiman -- he was exclusive to the Japanese Sega Saturn port... Pepsiman was never in the version of Fighting Vipers released for the US Saturn or the European market. Unless Sega renegotiates its deal with Pepsi, I doubt he'll be in the Japanese PSN port of Fighting Vipers, either... He's owned by Pepsi Corporation and was a mascot for the Japanese market only.

And yes, he's a cool character... I have both the Japanese and American ports of Fighting Vipers on my Saturn(s) for reasons like this! Capcom and Sega pulled exclusive character ports for the Japanese Saturn releases ALL the freakin' time. The Saturn happened to be the system with the highest-selling import fighters and generally (IMHO) the better system to import games for in the mid-1990s. Especially if you were a 2-D fighting game fan. I believe some of those import sales records still haven't been beaten.

I recall both NCS and Tronix saying that they set their top import sales records with the Capcom Japanese Sega Saturn CPS-2 fighter ports.

I seriously thought about getting the cart-based Neo Geo home system at one point in time when you could get NEW, unused cart NG consoles for $169 (a long time ago... Talking about least 13-15 years ago).

Didn't happen, not gonna. The hardware costs too much even this time around for me. Big pass since I'm getting a real expensive piece of joystick that will fly by fast this holiday season. (Not a hint: Hori VLX - Diamond edition!)

The only SNK series I care about are Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown. I just don't care about KOF and the rest... only FF and SS have characters which I find appealing.

Sad thing is that SNK collections online-and-off still continue to feature sh%t I'll never pay money for like Fatal Fury 1 (which is the worst game in that series). Why SNK can't count past Samurai Shodown 1 on the PlayStation Network is beyond me... You XBL members have it better on your system, retro-game wise.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more.

That might be true in Japan (they get some costumes that we don't), if you're talking about EVERYTHING and not just the costumes. I'm pretty sure the U.S. DLC for Graces is less than $100 for *everything*, not just the costumes but the little accessories as well. Some of the DLC is levels, items and in-game money and some of the costumes are ones you can get in-game anyway.

Since a good chunk of it is stuff you can get just playing the game, I think almost nobody buys all of it. Even with the costume stuff, most people are just going to pick and choose a few they like for their favorite characters. Not many people are going to buy all of them and most probably aren't even going to buy half of them.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more.

That might be true in Japan (they get some costumes that we don't), if you're talking about EVERYTHING and not just the costumes. I'm pretty sure the U.S. DLC for Graces is less than $100 for *everything*, not just the costumes but the little accessories as well. Some of the DLC is levels, items and in-game money and some of the costumes are ones you can get in-game anyway.

Since a good chunk of it is stuff you can get just playing the game, I think almost nobody buys all of it. Even with the costume stuff, most people are just going to pick and choose a few they like for their favorite characters. Not many people are going to buy all of them and most probably aren't even going to buy half of them.

Exactly. Japanese DLC is generally cosmetic stuff. You can dress up your characters or whatever, but its not entire new stories or levels like you'll generally see in Western DLC.

I was totally satisfied with my cat ears purchase for a buck in Tales of Graces. I never took them off of the girls.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Oh wow, just noticed that all the images in the X Button articles have mouseover text. lol Kinda feel like going back to many of the articles...

Most of Todd's annotations aren't really that funny.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
On the Sega fighters, at least it's the original VF2. For some reason, every port ever seems to be the awful Genesis version, even stuff like the iPad which could handle Model 2 while running other applications effortlessly.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Exactly. Japanese DLC is generally cosmetic stuff. You can dress up your characters or whatever, but its not entire new stories or levels like you'll generally see in Western DLC.

I was totally satisfied with my cat ears purchase for a buck in Tales of Graces. I never took them off of the girls.

Serah bikini costume for FFXIII-2 as well. Japan knows what's up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3