• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Debut Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Why are they showing only 26 episodes? Doesn't it have 63 episodes?

I remember back when the first series began on [AS] they stopped right before the "Izumi Curtis arc" (I'm assuming to have time to dub the rest of the series?) and had something like a "season break". That was around episode 26. It could be that what they are referring to.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

Just because an anime is being broadcast on national television does not mean the fanbase will grow. This is only going to interest us anime fans. Besides, are you really worried about other people liking anime? Instead of worrying about anime not having an extremely huge fanbase, just enjoy it while you can. Who cares if it's not big.

I've seen you make this argument a couple times, as though you're confused and offended by people who want their chosen hobby to be successful and popular.

Anime successful and popular in the US = more anime. Pretty simple logic. You may not care at all about anything that doesn't impact you directly, but other people do, and it isn't that hard to understand why. Enjoy your cave, please stop telling other people to stop caring about the health of the industry.

Thanks for the defensive rebound, Zac.

Dark Elf Warrior, unless a Magical Girl arrives to save the day by singing a song to magically bring about another golden age of Anime with a robust and diverse catalog of imaginative IP's... I'm gonna stick to my guns and go with my original statement: a growing fan base means more money, which attracts more creative talent who then have the means to make really good Anime for us ALL to enjoy.

What's more this also has positive implications for the Dub industry as well if local/regional demand grows for dubbed anime (the preferred means of delivery for John Q Everyman who doesn't like having to read subtitles), i.e. more and higher quality Dubs, quite possibly.

Nationally broadcasted Anime that has a shot at making inroads with new potential customers that can be translated into and revitalize the fan base can ONLY be a good thing.

I myself only got back into Anime in 2004 when R.O.D. was being shown on cable, and I was blown away. I'd not watched Anime since High School (Akira and Ghost in the Shell) and was completely out of the Anime scene. I'd no clue, none, about the state of Anime or what was available with no desire for it or to learn more about it's current state. Watching R.O.D. on TV hooked me deep, rekindling my love for the medium.

Look at the current Video Game Industry; they rake in billions and billions of dollars! They make more than the movie industry, but there was a time not too long ago that video games were still very much a niche market, not unlike Anime here in the US. But with a larger fan base came more money, better games and more fans -it's a positive feedback loop. Now, I'm not saying Anime need be that big, though it would be nice, but look at the Multi-billion dollar Juggernaut the Video Game Industry has become and the relatively humble (by comparison) origins from whence it came.

Entertainment that doens't make money goes away. Anime isn't immune to this economic fact of life. Anime is not too big to fail. Nothing is.

Last edited by CareyGrant on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
For all you cable payers,
Good for you. happy for ya. (I dont have cable, I stick to the funimation youtube releases.) But its good to know it's going to be aired over here as well. I was wondering when they would.

The original series never grabbed me. eventually though I picked up and started the Manga, and liked it a hell of a lot more. So this Anime was big hitter for me. the quality is also WAAY better.

But *Sigh* No DVD?
*Sigh* Not everyone has Blue Ray, Funi...
The Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Zac wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

Just because an anime is being broadcast on national television does not mean the fanbase will grow. This is only going to interest us anime fans. Besides, are you really worried about other people liking anime? Instead of worrying about anime not having an extremely huge fanbase, just enjoy it while you can. Who cares if it's not big.

I've seen you make this argument a couple times, as though you're confused and offended by people who want their chosen hobby to be successful and popular.

Anime successful and popular in the US = more anime. Pretty simple logic. You may not care at all about anything that doesn't impact you directly, but other people do, and it isn't that hard to understand why. Enjoy your cave, please stop telling other people to stop caring about the health of the industry.

Thanks for the defensive rebound, Zac.

Dark Elf Warrior, unless a Magical Girl arrives to save the day by singing a song to magically bring about another golden age of Anime with a robust and diverse catalog of imaginative IP's... I'm gonna stick to my guns and go with my original statement: a growing fan base means more money, which attracts more creative talent who then have the means to make really good Anime for us ALL to enjoy.

What's more this also has positive implications for the Dub industry as well if local/regional demand grows for dubbed anime (the preferred means of delivery for John Q Everyman who doesn't like having to read subtitles), i.e. more and higher quality Dubs, quite possibly.

Nationally broadcasted Anime that has a shot at making inroads with new potential customers that can be translated into and revitalize the fan base can ONLY be a good thing.

I myself only got back into Anime in 2004 when R.O.D. was being shown on cable, and I was blown away. I'd not watched Anime since High School (Akira and Ghost in the Shell) and was completely out of the Anime scene. I'd no clue, none, about the state of Anime or what was available with no desire for it or to learn more about it's current state. Watching R.O.D. on TV hooked me deep, rekindling my love for the medium.

Look at the current Video Game Industry; they rake in billions and billions of dollars! They make more than the movie industry, but there was a time not too long ago that video games were still very much a niche market, not unlike Anime here in the US. But with a larger fan base came more money, better games and more fans -it's a positive feedback loop. Now, I'm not saying Anime need be that big, though it would be nice, but look at the Multi-billion dollar Juggernaut the Video Game Industry has become and the relatively humble (by comparison) origins from whence it came.

Entertainment that doens't make money goes away. Anime isn't immune to this economic fact of life. Anime is not too big to fail. Nothing is.

But we are talking about a show that's on Sat Night at 12, that's a really bad time slot. You will not grow a fan base with that time slot.

Most people in the 18 to 35 Demo are busy on Sat nights, they aren't going to stay home to watch this.

Plus Adult Swim is hardly a cultural juggernaut, its not like FMA on a network channel, like Fox. Heck any 18-35 year old who is at home and sober enough to watch TV, will likely watch SNL instead.

Plus you really can't compare the video game industry to anime, considering some of the most popular video games are made in the West and have western consumers in mind, you can't say that about anime.

Anime is a niche in the West because its aimed at Japanese people instead of Westerners, video games went from niche to main stream mainly due to Western made video games, like Grand Theft Auto. American Otakus may like anime that is mainly made with a Japanese audience in mind, but it won't have much traction with the general public because of that. It will always be a niche market.

The fact is if there was a major market for violent action cartoons aimed at adults in the west, then American networks would just make their own, but there really isn't a huge market for that, at the moment.

Last edited by The Overlord on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
If this is true, I will extremely disappointed. I saw the first anime, loved it, but I see no appeal in Brotherhood. I don't care about Ling or any of the other characters. I'd rather watch Soul Eater. At least there's going to be new Bleach in a few months.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:

But we are talking about a show that's on Sat Night at 12, that's a really bad time slot.

Most people in the 18 to 35 Demo are busy on Sat nights, they aren't going to stay home to watch this.

Plus Adult Swim is hardly a cultural juggernaut, its not like FMA on a network channel, like Fox. Heck any 18-35 year old who is at home and sober enough to watch TV, will likely watch SNL instead.

Wow, it's like listening to someone who thinks they're a pundit but hasn't been paying any attention at all to the basic history of the industry he's trying to be an expert on!

Adult Swim late night scheduling was directly responsible for the mainstream popularity of shows like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Inuyasha.

The original Fullmetal Alchemist series was a considerable hit in that timeslot, in terms of late night cable numbers - which, this is a small pond and a small audience, so let's just keep that in mind before complaining that it isn't primetime CBS. A new anime series getting that timeslot is good news, and it's a good thing that Adult Swim is bringing some anime back and are being smart about what will appeal to their audience.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a show with proven mainstream appeal - its predecessor and Death Note are the only two series you could really call "hits" from the last 5 years, both of which aired on Adult Swim in this time slot.

Again, it makes sense and is a good thing and could - could, not will, not definitely will, not absolutely will - mean good things for, at the very least, DVD sales of FMA Brotherhood. Which is good for everyone in the long run.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
I knew I wouldn't miss out by not keeping up with their sub stream of it.

It seems my laziness paid off. Razz
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm very familiar with the original series, but I never really watched it. I guess I can start watching the series by getting into this. Kudos for Funi for reuniting most of the original cast. Maxey should do a good job as a replacement for Aaron.

I wonder who Aaron's character will be....
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
For all you cable payers,
Good for you. happy for ya. (I don't have cable, I stick to the funimation youtube releases.) But its good to know it's going to be aired over here as well. I was wondering when they would.

The original series never grabbed me. eventually though I picked up and started the Manga, and liked it a hell of a lot more. So this Anime was big hitter for me. the quality is also WAAY better.

But *Sigh* No DVD?
*Sigh* Not everyone has Blue Ray, Funi...

DVD comes out the same time as the Blu-ray does so you can buy it in DVD.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
tinlunlau wrote:
Sure took Funi long enough to start releasing the English dub. The Cantonese dub is only 3 episodes behind the Japanese version and is dubbed pretty well. Why'd it take over 10 months for the English dub to come out?

Probably has something to do with all the shows they work on, and them wanting to time the broadcast along with the following home video release, and wanting to do a simul-release on DVD/BD, meaning they couldn't release it too close to the Japanese BD release, or it'd get slaughtered like Bandai's Kurokami BD release. And also, they were hard at work on the streaming subs, so no point potentially taking away part of one market for another, instead of letting one run most of the course before starting the other.

In short, a whole bunch of reasons.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
I am a little disappointed with [as], they are sticking with safe shows. I do plan on getting the new FMA brotherhood on blu-ray, so no need to watch it on TV. I guess I just had higher expectations of [as] to give us something new and fresh, so now they are airing FMA brotherhood, and FLCL, gee what could the last one be????

must be inyasha final act, since they already have the first one, so really there was no reason to be so secretive about the new shows.

It would have been nice if one of the shows was something completely from left field and a shock to everyone,
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I am a little disappointed with [as], they are sticking with safe shows. I do plan on getting the new FMA brotherhood on blu-ray, so no need to watch it on TV. I guess I just had higher expectations of [as] to give us something new and fresh, so now they are airing FMA brotherhood, and FLCL, gee what could the last one be????

must be inyasha final act, since they already have the first one, so really there was no reason to be so secretive about the new shows.

It would have been nice if one of the shows was something completely from left field and a shock to everyone,

Anime needs highly rated shows to be succesful, shows like Moribito, or Paranoid Agent are not going to be succesful so why should Adult Swim show them.

Unless these anime get great ratings than anime will probably be gone from Adult Swim.

Also Adult Swim has shown a ton of shows that where unique and came out of left field all of them have failed.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:

Plus you really can't compare the video game industry to anime, considering some of the most popular video games are made in the West and have western consumers in mind, you can't say that about anime.

So, A) apparently you work for Neilsen company, such that you can quote with authority -or make gross generalizations- how and where that demographic is (or any other) and what they're watching during that time slot?

B) It was someone other than Nintendo and Sega who rescued the deceased console gaming industry in the West in the 80's (or Sony, later on in the 90's with the Playstation, prior to the Xbox)?

Outside of PC gaming, console gaming WAS from the East then. It's overwhelming popularity in recent time has created the demand for Western game developers as well as a Western console developer (Microsoft). But the force that started it all... Yeah, outta Japan, Bro.

I won't argue that some of the highest grossing video games of all time came from Western developers for a Western market, but face the facts: if it weren't for the increase in popularity and profitability, none of those Western developers, or the video game industry as we enjoy it today, would likely have existed or exist. In the console world post-Atari, the West was way late coming to the party.

If a large enough local demand exists and money can be made, companies will make it and cater to it.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Sweet, I was beginning to think this might not get a DVD release. Hopefully I'll be able to afford the Blu-Ray sets.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

But we are talking about a show that's on Sat Night at 12, that's a really bad time slot.

Wow, it's like listening to someone who thinks they're a pundit but hasn't been paying any attention at all to the basic history of the industry he's trying to be an expert on!

Adult Swim late night scheduling was directly responsible for the mainstream popularity of shows like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Inuyasha.

The original Fullmetal Alchemist series was a considerable hit in that timeslot, in terms of late night cable numbers - which, this is a small pond and a small audience, so let's just keep that in mind before complaining that it isn't primetime CBS. A new anime series getting that timeslot is good news, and it's a good thing that Adult Swim is bringing some anime back and are being smart about what will appeal to their audience.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a show with proven mainstream appeal - its predecessor and Death Note are the only two series you could really call "hits" from the last 5 years, both of which aired on Adult Swim in this time slot.

Again, it makes sense and is a good thing and could - could, not will, not definitely will, not absolutely will - mean good things for, at the very least, DVD sales of FMA Brotherhood. Which is good for everyone in the long run.

But the thing is I was responding to someone who compared anime to video games and saying video games started out as a niche, suggesting that anime can have the same popularity, which I thought was incorrect.

And really how popular and "mainstream" were any of those shows? Did they ever get more ratings for adult Swim then some Family guy rerun? Do we get pop cultural references to them on American TV? I think they were popular for Adult Swim, but that's like being a big fish in a small pond and not even the biggest fish. If FMA is really that popular, why don't they show it at 10 on a weekday? So its more like medium sized fish in a small pond. Frankly AS itself isn't that mainstream, its not like most of their original programing is uber popular stuff that everyone talks about. I mean most people didn't know about Aqua teen Hunger Force till that incident in Boston a few years ago.

In terms of successful late night ratings, did these shows ever beat another really popular late night cable show, like the daily Show? Its competition is whatever is on cable at 12 AM on a Saturday, that's not a tough contest to win.

So you aren't going to get a giant new fan base showing something at 12 on a Saturday, that's not going to attract a lot of new fans. You can some new fans, maybe, but what was suggested in the post I was responding too was anime could rival the video game industry, which I find unlikely.

Plus you said death Note is hit, but I don't see AS playing it anymore.

Yes you can say AS playing FMA at all is a good thing, but really i don't see how it will create any significant number of new fans.

CareyGrant wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

So, A) apparently you work for Neilsen company, such that you can quote with authority -or make gross generalizations- how and where that demographic is (or any other) and what they're watching during that time slot?

Ever heard of the Friday Death slot? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot

Its a common fact, most adults are busy going out on Friday and Saturday and don't watch much TV on those nights, those nights are generally a ratings grave yard.

CareyGrant wrote:

B) It was someone other than Nintendo and Sega who rescued the deceased console gaming industry in the West in the 80's (or Sony, later on in the 90's with the Playstation, prior to the Xbox)?

Outside of PC gaming, console gaming WAS from the East then. It's overwhelming popularity in recent time has created the demand for Western game developers as well as a Western console developer (Microsoft). But the force that started it all... Yeah, outta Japan, Bro.

I won't argue that some of the highest grossing video games of all time came from Western developers for a Western market, but face the facts: if it weren't for the increase in popularity and profitability, none of those Western developers, or the video game industry as we enjoy it today, would likely have existed or exist. In the console world post-Atari, the West was way late coming to the party.

If a large enough local demand exists and money can be made, companies will make it and cater to it.

Yeah but all of that was before video games became mainstream, back when it was dominated by Japanese games in the 80s and early 90s, video games were seen as a children's toy, so it only became mainstream when western developers made really successful violent video games, like Doom and Grand Theft Auto.

Yes Japanese games saved the industry after the video game crash in 1982, but that's not what made the industry more profitable then the movie industry, so the popularity of Japanese games in the late 80s doesn't speak to your point about video games being main stream now, does it?

Plus video games are different format from everything else, they are popular mainly because they are interactive. Anime is not a different format from every other TV show. Video games can out sell movies because of their interactivity, what would allow anime to outsell any popular American TV show, live action or animated?

I mean really if an anime show can only get a slot on a ratings grave yard night on a cable channel, how is it supposed to become as popular as video games?

Last edited by The Overlord on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7