• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Debut Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Called it. But I'll be to busy with college to actually watch it.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I didn't expect this so early. I was thinking it might be a new series in October. Well, now I don't have to go watch it on the interwebs until I want to see it uncut.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
Yes you can say AS playing FMA at all is a good thing, but really i don't see how it will create any significant number of new fans.

Before the age of internet and Madison Avenue, there was this wonderful form of advertisement known as "word-of mouth." Even in this age of internet and Madison Avenue, it's considered to be the most effective form of advertising.

Quote:
I mean really if an anime show can only get a slot on a ratings grave yard night on a cable channel, how is it supposed to become as popular as video games?

1) You're comparing apples and oranges. Television and video games run on two different production and revenue models.

2) Cartoon Network is still a network aimed at kids. FMA is slightly above the intended demographic, so the slots where it can air is few and far between. Saturday/Sunday late night is already an established and successful anime block, so there's no real incentive to change that (who's going to argue with a built-in audience).

I'm not sure on the official numbers, but I'd estimate FMA averaged around 1 million viewers per ep during it's run, which is not an insignificant number for late night.

What you want (and in a way, what we all want) is blood from a stone.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I saw someone post it looked like FMA on the online listings a week or so ago, but thought AS might be screwing with us anime fans (as they have been known to do). It's not an unexpected title, just I figured we'd have to wait longer for it. This & Inuyasha were popular in their original runs, so the sequels have to be much more attractive than unproven titles to AS. This also makes it more likely Kai will be one of the titles airing at some time, though it may be more CN fodder than AS.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yayyyyyyyyy!!!111
The Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
Yes you can say AS playing FMA at all is a good thing, but really i don't see how it will create any significant number of new fans.

Before the age of internet and Madison Avenue, there was this wonderful form of advertisement known as "word-of mouth." Even in this age of internet and Madison Avenue, it's considered to be the most effective form of advertising.

And yet shows that were popular in Japan and liked by otakus like code Geass did poorly on Adult Swim. So word of mouth in of itself doesn't always work.

Joe Mello wrote:

Quote:
I mean really if an anime show can only get a slot on a ratings grave yard night on a cable channel, how is it supposed to become as popular as video games?

1) You're comparing apples and oranges. Television and video games run on two different production and revenue models.

I'm not the one who made the comparison, some else did and I pointed out how flawed it was.

Joe Mello wrote:

2) Cartoon Network is still a network aimed at kids. FMA is slightly above the intended demographic, so the slots where it can air is few and far between. Saturday/Sunday late night is already an established and successful anime block, so there's no real incentive to change that (who's going to argue with a built-in audience).

Adult Swim is aimed at the 18 to 34 demo not the 6-14 demo the rest of CN is aimed at.

Joe Mello wrote:

I'm not sure on the official numbers, but I'd estimate FMA averaged around 1 million viewers per ep during it's run, which is not an insignificant number for late night.

Do you have official numbers to that effect? Because I kinda find it hard to believe that it got that many people in that time slot.

Even if it did, that's no guarantee its sequel will do as well.

Joe Mello wrote:

What you want (and in a way, what we all want) is blood from a stone.

What I want is irrelevant, I'm being a realist here. Growing a fan base is hard when your product is on Sat at midnight on a cable channel.

That's not really mainstream success.

Look at NBC, they are dying for a hit, so if they thought they could make gigantic ratings showing anime on their network, they would want but that won't happen because its not going to do that well if they did.

I think some people are over estimating how popular anime really is, especially now, when anime has even taken a bit of hit in Japan itself.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
care2care wrote:
Ah, man! I've been waiting for Brotherhood to be dubbed since I first heard it being remade! I'm so excited! I didn't know they would release it so fast! (maybe FUNi put this one on top priority?)

No doubt. FMA is one of Funi's most popular serise.

I went as far as too avoid the subtitled version and manga at all cost. I've been wait for the dub forever. So excited!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I promised myself that if the opportunity came to watch this in English I would give it another shot. I couldn't really get into it with the streams due to a combination of preferring dubs and the fact that the first one is my all-time favorite series. Problem 1 has been taken care of, so now I just need to work on thinking of this as something else and not comparing it. Although that's going to be tough!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
That's my problem. I'm gonna get the blu-rays, but I have this worry in the back of my head that I'll be constantly comparing it to the first one and not be able to enjoy this one for what it is. I mean, it has huge shoes to fill, how can I not subconsciously compare it to it's predacessro that's one of my favorite shows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
That's my problem. I'm gonna get the blu-rays, but I have this worry in the back of my head that I'll be constantly comparing it to the first one and not be able to enjoy this one for what it is. I mean, it has huge shoes to fill, how can I not subconsciously compare it to it's predacessro that's one of my favorite shows?

I had difficulty with this as well, and still sort of do, the first series being one of my favorite anime of all time, but if it means anything, I think the new series is just as good, and many people will probably find it better, than the first. Hiromu Arakawa's immersive world is even more expansive this time out. I think the two shows, while different, sort of compliment each other.

I'm definitely going to get the Blu-Rays when they come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Do you have official numbers to that effect? Because I kinda find it hard to believe that it got that many people in that time slot.

Even if it did, that's no guarantee its sequel will do as well.

There is a ratings thread on the [as] boards that you can dive into to get the actual numbers. I am pretty sure from a recent trip through there that the average is probably closer to 400k-500k. I don't believe any anime has ever broken 900k.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
Animax Asia already did a quicky English dub that they're currently airing on weekdays. Same cast as their dub of Hayate the Combat Butler (specifically, Ed sounds like Hayate and Al sounds like Nagi). Guess they couldn't wait for the Funimation dub. Then again they keep doing their own dubs for shows that were already completely dubbed in the U.S. (usually by Funi), for some reason, like Welcome to the NHK.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Kinda saw that one coming. Though this did surprise me a bit. It was obvious that Adult Swim would pick this up, but I didn't expect for Funimation to already have the dub going. They said they had picked up 3 new series and I expected FMA:BH to be one of the, but not the first of the line up.

I'm not susprised.They've been running the original for a long while without removing it so it's obivious they would license it. And i have a feeling that the next list on AS list is the new season of inuyasha.

Also it's good that they brought back the old cast though i was disapointed that they remove Arron as Alphonse. Sure on the OVA his voice has gotten older,but puberty really didn't changed it THAT much. He could have still made a decent Al cause if JYB,Yuri & Greg can make decent teen and 10 yr old voices, so why not Arron??

fuuma_monou wrote:
Animax Asia already did a quicky English dub that they're currently airing on weekdays. Same cast as their dub of Hayate the Combat Butler (specifically, Ed sounds like Hayate and Al sounds like Nagi). Guess they couldn't wait for the Funimation dub. Then again they keep doing their own dubs for shows that were already completely dubbed in the U.S. (usually by Funi), for some reason, like Welcome to the NHK.

But why??? Why does Animax Asia make dubs when they know it's gonna be dubbed in the US??? Doesn't make any sense to me. They should do dubs to series that may NEVER get dubbed in the US like Kodomo no Jikan, 2nd Season of Shana and Zero no Tsukaima,3rd season of Nanoha and most of the series that got the sub only treatment from Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 like Gintama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

fuuma_monou wrote:

But why??? Why does Animax Asia make dubs when they know it's gonna be dubbed in the US??? Doesn't make any sense to me. They should do dubs to series that may NEVER get dubbed in the US like Kodomo no Jikan, 2nd Season of Shana and Zero no Tsukaima,3rd season of Nanoha and most of the series that got the sub only treatment from Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 like Gintama.

They already dubbed Shakugan no Shana II, skipping over the first season in any form. I doubt they'd ever show Kodomo no Jikan, though it's remotely possible they'll use the late night/before dawn-only tack as with Welcome to the NHK. Oh yeah, they also dubbed Tears to Tiara with some of the same Filipino voice actors they used for Toward the Terra TV, so that's one Sentai show, and Asatte no Houkou makes two. There's still a few Animax dubbed shows that haven't been licensed in the U.S., like Absolute Boy and Twin Spica, and of course the ones that were released in the U.S. sub-only, like Gakuen Alice and Marimite.

Recently they began airing the U.S. dubs of Bleach and Samurai Champloo, so I'm guessing there's some licensing restrictions that prevented them from using the U.S. dubs for Baccano, Gurren Lagann, Red Garden, etc.
dark_serenity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
well everyone can now say we saw it comin -o- im all for it *im looking foward to the dub ^-^* but i was hopin adult swim would do somethin new...

dare i say i was kinda hopin for soul eater to get on adult swim,,, sigh... guess it was out there though.... -.-

i wonder why they're taking so long to announce the next anime??? Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7