• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Delays, Cancels Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

He's probably thinking there won't be a dub for season 2 and Sentai still has their stupid "No dub = No Blu-ray" rule in effect.
If Sentai were to end up licensing it, wouldn't the chances of Season 2 getting a dub be more likely since they also use BangZoom? They did continue dubbing K-On! from where Bandai left off.

This is what I was thinking. If anyone were to license rescue Squid Girl I would most like for it to be Sentai as they would be the most likely to dub it with the same cast. I also kinda wonder if the second season is already been dubbed and other reasons are at play for it not being released. The time in which were had heard various things about the second season would lend a little credibility to that. They had said on facebook awhile back that they planned on doing Season 2 and then it was a LONG time before we saw it listed. Perhaps it was already dubbed in that time frame. It's not like it's only the cost of dubbing that is causing them issues as they have been cancelling things that already had dubs finished.

But maybe I'm grasping at straws. I just hope Squid Girl season 2 gets released somehow. Hopefully with a dub and the original cast.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Just sell the company and avoid Bandai's mistakes!
bandai entertainment wasn't completely at fault for that, from what I've read most of the "mistakes" were the parent company telling the US branch what to do how to price it and what to release. I have No idea what was so great about gosick cause I've honestly never seen it the only thing I do remember is being irked that some loli school girl band anime got dubbed part way while star driver and other anime's got a sub only release. seeing Media Blasters die out to me is a little sad although I've long since pardoned them for their lack luster releases (especially gaogaigar with it's half finished dub and unreleased ova) but regardless all I see is more people losing their jobs and more people in line for unemployment
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Be grateful, they have been using STACKpaks lately for their complete collections that are over 6 discs (see Moribito, Genshiken, their final release of Lion Voltron & Rurouni Kenshin seasons 2 & 3 from the complete collection box which I used to own) and GaoGaiGar is 10 discs so odds are that they would have done the same so buy the season sets while they're still available.

I'm glad I got the Genshiken, Kujibiki Unbalance, and Genshiken 2 series premium boxsets while I still could. The artboxes that came with them are lovely. I hate STACKpaks with the passion of 1000 burning suns.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
All you did with that list is show a one-sided argument in favor of the company. Question: where are the rest of the titles? You know, those that fans didn't buy because they thought they were crap?

So what? You're missing the point, or else deliberately choosing not to address it.

So what if the titles listed do not represent everything Bandai has done? SpacemanHardy's point was that the loss of Bandai was a big blow because of the licenses that have now vanished. Sure, fans will not cry over every one, but the better and more popular titles still constitute a great loss. And one is not obligated to list every title a company has done to get across the point that the company going under is a big loss.

Was it Bandai's fault they bowed out, or the fans' fault, or both? Answer; it doesn't matter, and your tangent about who was to blame is pointless. No matter whose fault it was, the end result was that we still lost those titles and that it was a big deal to fans like SpacemanHardy, which was his original argument in the first place.

----------

As for Media Blasters, I wish they'd gone under months or even a year ago. But I'm still going to miss them when they eventually do go and I'm still going to lament the licenses that will be lost (though as someone said, they've let a lot go OOP already). I hope another company picks up the better titles. Media Blasters could sell themselves for next to nothing and allow the buyer to gain their entire remaining catalogue in one fell swoop. I don't know how the debt and back taxes would factor into this; hopefully they wouldn't be an intractable problem.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I've read (and it seems plausible) that it was actually the b&m retailers that forced R1 distribs to drop the 3 to 4 eppie per volume release strategy. They wanted titles to take up less shelf space. Frankly, if it wasn't for that, I have a feeling distribs would still be trying to push that on us.

Since b&m retailers and now mostly irrelevant, could distributors return to the singles system? That would be a way to get more money from us, if they wanted to.

Provided this is actually true they could try that...but the distributor dumb enough to do it would effectively be committing suicide as the others would keep their prices the same as they are now and watch as fans abandon ship for that company. Pretty much how an oligopoly(which the R1 market is at this point) works. It's also why pretty much every distributor had to conform once one of them decided to go for the boxset format.

I don't know about that, since Aniplex is releasing singles for some series (Blue Exorcist and more notably Madoka) and they aren't showings any signs of dying - how many of this seasons shows have they licensed, after all? And they keep expanding the theatrical showings of the Madoka movies...

No doubt trying to go all singles again would fall flat on its face, but for shows that are popular enough it seems to be a viable strategy.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
Divineking wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I've read (and it seems plausible) that it was actually the b&m retailers that forced R1 distribs to drop the 3 to 4 eppie per volume release strategy. They wanted titles to take up less shelf space. Frankly, if it wasn't for that, I have a feeling distribs would still be trying to push that on us.

Since b&m retailers and now mostly irrelevant, could distributors return to the singles system? That would be a way to get more money from us, if they wanted to.

Provided this is actually true they could try that...but the distributor dumb enough to do it would effectively be committing suicide as the others would keep their prices the same as they are now and watch as fans abandon ship for that company. Pretty much how an oligopoly(which the R1 market is at this point) works. It's also why pretty much every distributor had to conform once one of them decided to go for the boxset format.

I don't know about that, since Aniplex is releasing singles for some series (Blue Exorcist and more notably Madoka) and they aren't showings any signs of dying - how many of this seasons shows have they licensed, after all? And they keep expanding the theatrical showings of the Madoka movies...

No doubt trying to go all singles again would fall flat on its face, but for shows that are popular enough it seems to be a viable strategy.

The answer to this is that Aniplex USA's audience(sadly) seems to collectors and not the basic R1 market, and they therefore aren't conforming to industry standards. I will leave it at that before that whole argument starts up again.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
The answer to this is that Aniplex USA's audience(sadly) seems to collectors and not the basic R1 market, and they therefore aren't conforming to industry standards. I will leave it at that before that whole argument starts up again.

You were the one who brought up the argument with this post. But I will not persuade the Aniplex of America argument either; it is probably impossible to change people's minds.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This thread IS NOT about Aniplex of America or how you feel about their business practices.
contagion888

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Here is to hoping, that Mr. Sirabella doesn't have another tissy about the comments on this thread.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This thread IS NOT about Aniplex of America or how you feel about their business practices.

Sorry about that.

Back on topic I really wonder what's going to happen with Zetsubo sensei at this rate...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So what? You're missing the point, or else deliberately choosing not to address it.

So I rambled a bit, but to clarify for you: you recently admonished a user for using the word "masterpiece" with disregard.

I feel the same way regarding "big loss" in this discussion. Bandai's departure had more warnings than Kansas in tornado season. To claim it's a big loss is failing to address the blame, which is far from pointless.

Those titles didn't vanish. They were purposely removed by a market which decided having those title available for years wasn't sufficient reason to buy them.

Only when the company departed did those titles suddenly have value enough to justify a purchase, not when Bandai needed it.

As for the rest of your post... you're a fansubber. What the hell do you care about R1 anyway? You've nothing to lose.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

He's probably thinking there won't be a dub for season 2 and Sentai still has their stupid "No dub = No Blu-ray" rule in effect.
If Sentai were to end up licensing it, wouldn't the chances of Season 2 getting a dub be more likely since they also use BangZoom? They did continue dubbing K-On! from where Bandai left off.

This is what I was thinking. If anyone were to license rescue Squid Girl I would most like for it to be Sentai as they would be the most likely to dub it with the same cast. I also kinda wonder if the second season is already been dubbed and other reasons are at play for it not being released. The time in which were had heard various things about the second season would lend a little credibility to that. They had said on facebook awhile back that they planned on doing Season 2 and then it was a LONG time before we saw it listed. Perhaps it was already dubbed in that time frame. It's not like it's only the cost of dubbing that is causing them issues as they have been cancelling things that already had dubs finished.

But maybe I'm grasping at straws. I just hope Squid Girl season 2 gets released somehow. Hopefully with a dub and the original cast.

I'm almost positive Season 2 has been fully dubbed too. If so, it's suffering the same fate as Bakuman (according to Michael Sinterniklaas, the first two seasons have been fully dubbed, but only 7 of those 52 episodes have been released). Since Squid Girl Season 2 was listed, it's very likely dubbing with Bang Zoom had already wrapped on it.

If Sentai license-rescues the show (they are the most likely too), they would likely just get the already-completed Season 2 dub, and for any further media, work with Bang Zoom themselves, like they have done in the past.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Well this sucks, I guess I won't be able to get the Fushigi Yugi series
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
So I rambled a bit, but to clarify for you: you recently admonished a user for using the word "masterpiece" with disregard.

I feel the same way regarding "big loss" in this discussion. Bandai's departure had more warnings than Kansas in tornado season. To claim it's a big loss is failing to address the blame, which is far from pointless.

The blame game is pointless, and wasn't what SpacemanHardy was even talking about. Things can be a big deals/losses no matter who was to blame. You're trying to force your personal grievances or whatever into the discussion but they aren't relevant here.

And while Bandai had long-issues, it was still a shock and a blow when they gave up. Sure, I have many of the titles that SpacemanHardy and penguintruth listed, but there were so many of us who were waiting for Turn A Gundam. Bandai announced it but never released it before they were gone, and that was a big disappointment to a lot of people.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Those titles didn't vanish. They were purposely removed by a market which decided having those title available for years wasn't sufficient reason to buy them.

Only when the company departed did those titles suddenly have value enough to justify a purchase, not when Bandai needed it.

So what? We're not allowed to miss something when it's gone? If a company goes under then that is quite sad, but like I said, playing the blame game is missing the point. No matter who was primarily to blame, it doesn't change the fact that a company folded and took its licenses with it. Trying to get anything Gundam back here again is looking remote, bar the rest of Unicorn of course.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
As for the rest of your post... you're a fansubber. What the hell do you care about R1 anyway? You've nothing to lose.

First of all, I am not a fansubber. I wouldn't know how to operate Aegisubs even if you paid me to learn.

Secondly, it is true that I do watch lots of fansubs. However any series I watch more than three episodes of using fansubs or free official streams I then have to buy when it hits stores in New Zealand. That means that this year I bought thousands of dollars worth of Anime, mostly of stuff I've already watched.

Thirdly, the North American market has always been and still remains huge important for the Australasian market. That's because we get most of our dubs from the Americans, and most (if not practically all) official stream sites are R1-orientated too. What goes on in R1 affects what titles are licensed for R4 and how they are released. Now yes, Madman and Siren Visual are working more and more with the Japanese directly, which is how we got Dennou Coil when the Yanks didn't have it. But we're still reliant here on the North Americans industry and take their lead.
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Media Blasters: We laid off our staff and picked up a bunch of shows. Hey, guess what? We're cancelling the shows you actually cared about! But don't worry, we'll still be releasing that tentacle hentai and random OVA that no one watched when it came out in Japan for you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8