• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Delays, Cancels Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
What's going on MB? Do you need us to spot you a couple bucks or something?
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
At this point, it just sounds like Media Blasters is slowly circling the drain before finally going bankrupt and shutting their doors.

This is what, the 4th or 5th time this year they've announced titles being delayed for months? Sounds like they're trying to follow the Geneon model, where they need the money from current product to push out their future releases. But in this case, if they don't get the money, they'll just delay or cancel.

I kinda expected a batch of delays after attempting to buy one of their releases that "supposedly" came out in October(Ah My Buddha Animeworks Classics collection). First it was supposed to come out the first week of October(after being delayed originally in August), then got pushed back to October 26th. Well the release date came and went and no store got their copies. It took contacting Anime Corner to find out it was issues with the disc replicator and should get them by the end of November(now saying Dec. 4th release date).

If they're having trouble getting products that are supposed to be out now, I wouldn't count on anything after the new year to come out on time or at all.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Well, look at it this way: Preorder whatever you want via RightStuf (or other reputable sites) and if it doesn't end up coming out and RS has to cancel it on you then you're not out anything, right? I mean, worst case scenario is you just don't get to buy the title you want. Best case scenario is you not only get the title you want but maybe you actually give MB the financial boost to release said title, or the next in the series, or something else you want... This is why I'm totally preordering the Ai no Kusabi OVA from RightStuf with no worries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
@ tangytangerine - I ordered the Ah! My Bhudda Classic Collection (among other things) from TRSI and it is showing up as Reserved for Your Order, so that means online retailers must finally have copies of it.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
I keep forgetting that Media Blasters hasn't stopped twitching yet ...

I always think back and remember that they went down without putting out Zetsubou Sensei, and then something like this jerks me back and reminds me that it is just experiencing fasciculation during the dying process, and could still be revived by a miraculous injection of some sort ...

I remember when I wasn't so cynical ...

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Yeah, the days of releasing anime on in low-episode DVD singles is pretty much over. MB claims that they were told to release it this way by the Japanese company, but I'm pretty sure they could've handled the release far better.

Am I going insane? Since when is 5-7 episodes on a disk a 'low episode count'? Are we so spoiled by full season sets coming out for less than 100 dollars that a 25 dollar DVD with 7 episodes is a 'slap in the fact'? I remember 30 dollar DVDs coming out with 2 or 3 episodes, and we were thankful for the...

Oh my god, when did I become a 'crotchety old anime guy'? I have a distinct desire to tell you all to get off my damn lawn ...

Anime cry
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
I kinda expected a batch of delays after attempting to buy one of their releases that "supposedly" came out in October(Ah My Buddha Animeworks Classics collection). First it was supposed to come out the first week of October(after being delayed originally in August), then got pushed back to October 26th. Well the release date came and went and no store got their copies. It took contacting Anime Corner to find out it was issues with the disc replicator and should get them by the end of November(now saying Dec. 4th release date).

If they're having trouble getting products that are supposed to be out now, I wouldn't count on anything after the new year to come out on time or at all.

My copy of Ah My Buddha (Animeworks Classics collection) has already arrived at my place after my order from RS was shipped out on November 2nd.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
'tis reason I buy nothing until it's all completely released. [looks at the two burn scars left forlorned on his shelf]
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
What's it going to take for the Great Anime Crash to finally end?

I realize that this site is top-heavy with disc collectors, but it seems rather short-sighted to suggest that the "Great Anime Crash" is upon us when there is vastly more anime available legally today than ever before via streaming sites. That may not satisfy the hunger here for dubbed DVDs and BDs, but for people like me who watch with subtitles and don't really care about building a disc collection, I would say anime is doing quite well in the US these days.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

I realize that this site is top-heavy with disc collectors, but it seems rather short-sighted to suggest that the "Great Anime Crash" is upon us when there is vastly more anime available legally today than ever before via streaming sites. That may not satisfy the hunger here for dubbed DVDs and BDs, but for people like me who watch with subtitles and don't really care about building a disc collection, I would say anime is doing quite well in the US these days.

I did not know you knew everyone of the ANN forum members intimately to make such generalizations. It is rude to categorize people. FYI I am not "hungry" for dubbed DVD's. I just want quality anime (subbed or dubbed) and in BD if possible.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Another anime licensor circling the drain, huh?

it's seems to be the case. especially since sentai got the license for QB: Rebellion and the franchise was the the companies high selling DVD during the start of 2012.

BUT it's like i have been saying all the time. it seems that were living in a twilight zone or something cause very good companies like MB and Bandai are going six feet under, and god awful companies like 4kids are dodging one bullet after another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
BUT it's like i have been saying all the time. it seems that were living in a twilight zone or something cause very good companies like MB and Bandai are going six feet under, and god awful companies like 4kids are dodging one bullet after another.

You must've missed that whole bit where 4kids were being sued by Konami, declared bankruptcy, lost the rights to Yu-Gi-Oh, and proceeded to sell off their remaining assets for a measly $10M (peanuts for a company that size).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
So they finally cancel Kite BD after delaying and pushing it back like 37 times. Can't say I'm shocked!

Unfortunately true, I thought this time it might stick too, would really like to see a BD of Kite before it's too late.

Rukiia wrote:
Alright guys, place your bets on how many times they are going to delay Jubei-chan. Laughing

That reminds me, loved that old show Smile
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And while Bandai had long-issues, it was still a shock and a blow when they gave up.

What issues did Bandai have?

Quote:
Bandai announced it but never released it before they were gone, and that was a big disappointment to a lot of people.

I'll compromise here to say yes, this was bad for those who were still supporting Bandai, but the problem was far larger than that, which is where the rest of R1 has failed them.

There seems to be a misconception that once a license is acquired, all costs to produce just magically cease to be needed. The costs of dubbing, authoring menus, local art, and actually producing the product are all wrapped up in a nice little "license" announcement.

No, not everyone believes this, but the statement alludes to it. It's as though there's blame on Bandai for making an announcement for a title it couldn't release because the other titles weren't generating revenue to complete the task.

Hence why I mentioned the "common list". Yes, Bandai brought us some damn good titles, and I'll appreciate them for it, but I can't accept any excuses made by R1 they're at fault because they tried and R1 failed to step up and keep them here.

R1 drove away Bandai. Any contrary statements are nothing short of excuses, in my opinion.

Quote:
So what? We're not allowed to miss something when it's gone?

Nope. If you own the titles, there's nothing to miss. If you don't own the titles, you have only yourself to blame. Whining about what could have been licensed is pointless.

Quote:
If a company goes under then that is quite sad, but like I said, playing the blame game is missing the point.

I got the point, which is why I disagreed with it. What point you don't get is that you firmly believe it's okay to say these things when they're not applicable.

For someone who criticizes other users when they do it, you'd think it would be something you'd understand.

Don't make me regret believing you can understand. Unlike most around here, my tolerance of your "only my statements matter" banter is pretty high, but even I have my limits.

Quote:
No matter who was primarily to blame, it doesn't change the fact that a company folded and took its licenses with it. Trying to get anything Gundam back here again is looking remote, bar the rest of Unicorn of course.

Once again, we've a breakdown in basic understanding, so let me dumb this down for you:

Bandai: We need more capital, R1, so we're changing some things!
R1: Screw you, Bandai.
Bandai: Okay, toodles!
R1: Wait! Comeback! Now we miss you! Noooooooooooo! Boy, that was a surprise.

Pointless? No. The R1 market is now shifting its target to the remaining businesses without making a single change in its behavior.

So, when MB goes, apply the above, especially when there are those who believe a single title would "turn things around" for the company. Perhaps, but Squid Girl? In a market bitching about loli characters?

MB's closing is writing itself.

Quote:
First of all, I am not a fansubber. I wouldn't know how to operate Aegisubs even if you paid me to learn.

My apologies for the generalization of the word "fansubber".

Quote:
But we're still reliant here on the North Americans industry and take their lead.

Well, better get a letter writing campaign going for those Aussie companies, because following the lead of R1, after watching what's been going on, is ludicrous.

Unless those leads are strictly Sentai and FUNimation, who still cling to the "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" business model.

In a shrinking market. I'm sure they're doing just fine and this will last forever.
Rolling Eyes

I'm already prepared to lose R1, but it would be appreciative if people wouldn't feign their disbelief companies are leaving while pretending blame is pointless.

If I wanted crocodile tears, I'd go kick one and get my own.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
My copy of Ah My Buddha (Animeworks Classics collection) has already arrived at my place after my order from RS was shipped out on November 2nd.

Looks like you're one of a few that actually got it. Since Blood- posted he ordered from the same place, but hasn't received it yet.

Mine was pre-ordered through Amazon(I have amazon gift cards to burn through). But then they canceled it due to not being able to get the product on Oct. 26th and pre-ordered again after they listed a new release date. So it looks like MB is jerking retailers around on this release. Although it could've been worse, look at the Queen's Blade season 1 & 2 box set(moved from Nov. 13th to March 22, 2013).

I didn't think about it, but RACS pretty much nailed it in their weekly update what company this situation is similar to. They compared it to CPM. Which makes sense, because the only stuff MB is releasing right now is old re-releases, no new product is getting picked up and others are getting delayed/canceled. If this is the end for MB, hopefully it isn't a slow death like CPM(took 3 years to finally go under).

Last edited by tangytangerine on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Yeah, cause obviously streaming is soo much better and profitable. Laughing

DangerMouse wrote:
would really like to see a BD of Kite before it's too late.
I get the feeling in my water that it already is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8