• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Spandex Bicycle Shorts for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
Well, Gainax can do whatever they like with their Eva merch, it's their IP anyway, if they can find the fans that can afford them (and hopefully not look like a train wreck), good for them, anyway didn't some company release Space Battleship Yamato boxer shorts with the Wave Motion Gun hovering over "you know what" Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
cool now they just need the spandex shirt to go with it
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I think a girl with a proper top(one that matches not necessarily anime) on and that might look pretty neat as a workout outfit.

I mean the design doesn't scream anime nerd when you think of the designs of some other types of workout clothes. Just kind of blends in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
This would be a nice marketing idea if the average Eva fan knew what exercise even was. As for what hasn't been marketed with Eva... I don't know.

I'll just sit here and wait for the Eva thong.
interstellarjosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Ah, just what I needed. If I'm going to traumatize the entire neighborhood, I'm going to do it in style. Those bike shorts need a cautionary warning longer than the one for Happy Fun Ball.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. Very Happy
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
interstellarjosh wrote:
Yes. Success. I love you Japan. Can't wait to go biking in my new anime inspired spandex shorts here in the bible belt...

"Hey homo! Nice shorts."

and I'll respond: "Oh, oh yeah? We'll see who's gay when they release the giant robot that matches these shorts! Slut!"

LOL! Yes, and then they shoot you dead!

I still can't imagine WHAT the Japanese were thinking here.

I wouldn't trade in my PearlIzumi or Ibex for these. Hell, I wouldn't buy them. Period. They're not made for cycling at all.

Now, I can see somebody buying them for their girlfriend for a bit of "fun," but beyond that... I'm stumped.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
wait, like these are WORSE than most bike shorts or jerseys? Though I know that the eyeball melting neon colors most people prefer are there to keep motorists noticing where you are in relation to them, these seem kinda mundane... now if it were a full lycra plugsuit with all the little dodads and stuff, we'd just call you hard core... frell, I used to have a pair of Look road cleats that looked like Asuka's suit.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
You're assuming Otakus get that much exercise...and/or want to wear spandex...is any of this EVA Mech blitzing actually turning a profit?

Also, another reason to hate bicyclist.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
interstellarjosh wrote:
Yes. Success. I love you Japan. Can't wait to go biking in my new anime inspired spandex shorts here in the bible belt...

"Hey homo! Nice shorts."

and I'll respond: "Oh, oh yeah? We'll see who's gay when they release the giant robot that matches these shorts! Slut!"

LOL! Yes, and then they shoot you dead!

I still can't imagine WHAT the Japanese were thinking here.

I wouldn't trade in my PearlIzumi or Ibex for these. Hell, I wouldn't buy them. Period. They're not made for cycling at all.

Now, I can see somebody buying them for their girlfriend for a bit of "fun," but beyond that... I'm stumped.

Maybe someone will wear them over their IP or Bontrager shorts...better visibility and such. hah.

Apparently they don't even have gender-specific design, which is just asking for trouble...
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So, why is everyone assuming that everyone who could possibly know EVA is an otaku? Have you forgotten the quantity of tickets Evangelion's movies sold? Do you believe all of them are otaku? Do you not believe that a cyclist would think the color matches his taste, therefore he'd buy it? How many Japanese are unaware of the existence of Evangelion? Why is an Evangelion one "gayer" than a normal one? Why do you think "otaku" are the targeted consumers in this case? Do you believe this isn't a lucrative business? If so, please explain. Lastly, visibility is important to any road users; cyclists are extremely hard to be seen if there's a car overtaking.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Oh dear lord... *just threw up in my mouth*

I ask you, does ANYONE want to see the average EVA fan in SPANDEX BICYCLE SHORTS!? That's one of those things you wish you could un-see in your imagination. *shudders*

Worst. Idea. Ever.

And as for Training with Hinako...

I don't think THAT counts as exercise ;3 Or at least, what the male viewer might have in mind.
You see worse than that at your local supermarket, or walking down the local high street, especially in summer. As for Training With Hinako, there's only one exercise an otaku does with Hinako Ever seen "Oz Aerobics"? Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So, why is everyone assuming that everyone who could possibly know EVA is an otaku? Have you forgotten the quantity of tickets Evangelion's movies sold? Do you believe all of them are otaku? Do you not believe that a cyclist would think the color matches his taste, therefore he'd buy it? How many Japanese are unaware of the existence of Evangelion? Why is an Evangelion one "gayer" than a normal one? Why do you think "otaku" are the targeted consumers in this case? Do you believe this isn't a lucrative business? If so, please explain. Lastly, visibility is important to any road users; cyclists are extremely hard to be seen if there's a car overtaking.

Just because cyclists wear silly hats, tight clothing, half-finger gloves, shoes you can't walk in, are always going commando, shave their legs, and have padding in their pants, it doesn't mean they don't have dignity.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Just because cyclists wear silly hats, tight clothing, half-finger gloves, shoes you can't walk in, are always going commando, shave their legs, and have padding in their pants, it doesn't mean they don't have dignity.

I have no idea why you quoted my words and said that. Whatever. There's a bunch of guys at work who are always cycling instead of using their car. Why would you care about how you look to others when the important thing is what your wife/girlfriend would think of your body as you keep cycling. Considering what others say about you is probably what turns people into recluses. And whenever a person's mouth opens to speak about another human being, 90% of what comes out is trash. Besides cycling is rather common around here, and nobody thinks of that as gay, rather, the girls really like to see men like that.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
was referring to your last sentence.

also, chill out.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
was referring to your last sentence.

also, chill out.

Well, then do us a favor and quote the part you're referring to. As for the "chill out"; that's not gonna happen. Should I start speaking rudely instead? Because I'm sure I've comported myself up to now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3