• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Spandex Bicycle Shorts for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
silly Gainax, everyone knows Otakus don't excercise.

That's nonsense. Some otaku do exercise for sake of healthy living. I for one, do normal incidental exercise (cleaning the house, climbing stairs, commute to work via bicycle, etc) and eat right (no midnight snacks and junk foods). You don't have to join the gym or run miles to get exercise.

I do daily commute with bicycle to work. I just wear regular clothing and safety helmet.

Toshio Okada, a Gainax founding member who is called "Otaking", was a fat otaku. He has lost weight by eating right and exercise. Now he has published dieting books like "Don't think you'll be always fat"(いつまでもデブと思うなよ) and "Recording Diet" (レコーディング・ダイエット)

To me, Otaku has not got away from the stereotype of fat, sweaty, junk food munching people wearing silly T-shirts and watching TV/computer all day.

Besides, the Evangelion left impression on Japanese popular culture, so it's a part of merchandising a 'brand'. I read somewhere that Japanese people ride more bicycles than American counterparts to commute, so it's not a bad thing. Heck, we see kids carrying "Yu-gi-oh" backpack which the title has nothing to do with education, and no one says bad thing about it.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Banken wrote:
was referring to your last sentence.

also, chill out.

Well, then do us a favor and quote the part you're referring to. Also, stick this "chill out" up your... chocolate cake.

If you don't want to chill out than calm down. We are just poking fun at the idea of the stereotypical Eva fanbase buying something like this. We assume no normal cyclist would ever buy such equipment, especially considering the half assed quality of the shorts. These items are purely done for design and not quality. A good cyclist would buy a more productive design. Yeah, not everyone is a fat smelly otaku nerd. I myself exercise and keep healthy, yet am an anime fan anyway. That doesn't mean I can't poke fun at something as ridiculous as Eva bike shorts if I see em. Almost everything written in this thread so far was obviously said in jest.

Honestly, I don't see why you are so offended. Can you not pick up on internet jokes? You are taking these comments way to seriously.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Banken wrote:
was referring to your last sentence.

also, chill out.

Well, then do us a favor and quote the part you're referring to. As for the "chill out"; that's not gonna happen. Should I start speaking rudely instead? Because I'm sure I've comported myself up to now.

you apparently didn't realize I was joking... visibility is important but having a flashy design does less for visibility than reflective parts on the shorts.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
If you don't want to chill out than calm down. We are just poking fun at the idea of the stereotypical Eva fanbase buying something like this. We assume no normal cyclist would ever buy such equipment, especially considering the half assed quality of the shorts. These items are purely done for design and not quality. A good cyclist would buy a more productive design. Yeah, not everyone is a fat smelly otaku nerd. I myself exercise and keep healthy, yet am an anime fan anyway. That doesn't mean I can't poke fun at something as ridiculous as Eva bike shorts if I see em. Almost everything written in this thread so far was obviously said in jest.

Honestly, I don't see why you are so offended. Can you not pick up on internet jokes? You are taking these comments way to seriously.

Just like I couldn't "pick up" his joke, you haven't realized that I'm pretty calm now, and when I made that post. Or did you not realize that "stick it up your chocolate cake" is a joke? Perhaps you do not know that I'm a professional clown? And the biggest reason I made a post full of questions was because of the intense overuse of the word otaku whenever this anime is involved.

Banken wrote:
you apparently didn't realize I was joking... visibility is important but having a flashy design does less for visibility than reflective parts on the shorts.

Yes, sorry. I thought you were a random ignorant brat simply because you didn't use proper capitalization. Lesson learnt.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Just like I couldn't "pick up" his joke, you haven't realized that I'm pretty calm now, and when I made that post. Or did you not realize that "stick it up your chocolate cake" is a joke? Perhaps you do not know that I'm a professional clown?

Banken wrote:

Yes, sorry. I thought you were a random ignorant brat simply because you didn't use proper capitalization. Lesson learnt.

I understood that was a joke, and originally my post was a bit different because of it, but then you wrote "Well, then do us a favor and quote the part you're referring to. As for the "chill out"; that's not gonna happen. Should I start speaking rudely instead? Because I'm sure I've comported myself up to now." I assumed that maybe you wanted to be taken more seriously, and revised my statements to reflect such, yet in the process forgot to revise the quote. I apologize. That was my mistake.

Also it's "learned." Wink
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Ari-chan wrote:

Just like I couldn't "pick up" his joke, you haven't realized that I'm pretty calm now, and when I made that post. Or did you not realize that "stick it up your chocolate cake" is a joke? Perhaps you do not know that I'm a professional clown? And the biggest reason I made a post full of questions was because of the intense overuse of the word otaku whenever this anime is involved.

Banken wrote:

Did you miss all my other posts? I only forgo capitalization when annoyed.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:

Not the first time I'm caught using British English. This line should help a bit:
Quote:
Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English.

Just you wait until I learn French English. Then you're all doomed.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Ari-chan wrote:

Not the first time I'm caught using British English. This line should help a bit:
Quote:
Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English.

Just you wait until I learn French English. Then you're all doomed.

Well darn... Time to go dig my grave. See you!
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, now this thread's just gotten silly! Hey, speaking of silly... EVA BIKE SHORTS! Oh, Ba-Zing! LOL! (Laugh people, you'll live longer)

I'm also for exercise, healthy living and increasing one's quality of life. And if these dubious spandex shorts -which are almost completely useless to the serious amateur cyclist or enthusiast- encourage at least one person to make positive changes to increase their well-being, then that's a good thing.

But let's be honest, Otaku (what's the plural of Otaku; is it like Moose?) of the world aren't exactly shining beacons of health and wellness. I mean, what... they're blood's practically 98 percent Mountain Dew!

But now back to serious matters, namely Chocolate Cake and who has my piece! I love me some chocolate cake.
endless-abyss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys but these spandexes look pretty cool. Very Happy I would love to own a pair one day. Wink
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for my Evangelion the Flamethrower.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
They should have featured the bike in the movies so Eva Unit 1 could really literally go, uh, mountain biking...

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
But what if the power cord gets stuck in the chain?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3