• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sypherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
I kind of dig the teen party weekend thing at cons, while I was never quite so enthusiastic at a convention I remember my party cons of yore. Wink
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't recommend K-ON to anyone.

For moe genre I would recommend AIR for starters. It sort of leads you in with the story and characters. The movie did not do the series justice.

I hope that Justin finishes Kanon I mean at least wait until episode 10. It really does have a beautiful story and offers quite a bit in emotional boundaries and drama.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Good to hear Blood-'s voice. It so totally did not sound Canadian, I was surprised. Of course, most people who don't live in North America cannot distinguish between a Canadian accent and an American one, which is why Lisa Simpson put a Canadian flag on her backpack when she went overseas.

It was interesting to hear how you got into Anime. Some random person made a random decision to get that pilot episode on that disk, and you owe your existence as an Anime fan because of it. Too bad you can't track that person down and shake their hand. Or knife them in the throat for getting you hooked on such a fringe and wacky subculture . . .

Also, JesuOtaku has it so very right; RahXephon beats Neon Genesis Evangelion hands down. Of course, that's for another time, in another thread.

----------

No offense Corey, but I thought you were a troll at first, because that accent is just so weird. I'm pleased that I endured through your segment, because you did have some good things to say.

----------

And ikillchicken, please post your check to me in the next week. Yeah, you heard me. If you are going to use my (patented) ten-dash technique, then you've gotta pay me some royalties. Cheers.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I wouldn't recommend K-ON to anyone.

Truth.

Quote:
For moe genre I would recommend AIR for starters. It sort of leads you in with the story and characters. The movie did not do the series justice.

I wouldn't go that far. If you were looking for a verbatim recap, that was not the place to do it, and for that matter, the Clannad movie is the same. Both are quite decent as long as you aren't looking for the verbatim narrative.

Quote:
I hope that Justin finishes Kanon I mean at least wait until episode 10. It really does have a beautiful story and offers quite a bit in emotional boundaries and drama.

How does Kanon have a beautiful story? A guy who has conveniently forgotten everything about a town he used to live in comes back and meets five sad girls that only he can save with the power of being there. At best, it's a beautiful string of vignettes as there is no encompassing narrative. It should also be noted that Kanon is the most moeblob-heavy of the Key/KyoAni titles, as can be seen in the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyEUuCMTgqI (for those too terrifed to see what's in the link, it's nearly 7 minutes of nothing but monosyllabic sounds made by the various Kanon girls. Yes, 7 minutes, and no reused scenes, of them just making infantile sounds.)
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
I really liked this different show format and all your guests.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Quote:

It should also be noted that Kanon is the most moeblob-heavy of the Key/KyoAni titles, as can be seen in the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyEUuCMTgqI (for those too terrifed to see what's in the link, it's nearly 7 minutes of nothing but monosyllabic sounds made by the various Kanon girls. Yes, 7 minutes, and no reused scenes, of them just making infantile sounds.)

Watching the English dub will make sure the number of those sounds gets reduced and not to mention have the girls actually sound like natural teen aged girls. It's a different interpretation of the characters, but it works.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ooh! Please do more episodes like these! It's very interesting to put a face, er, "voice" on fellow forumers!

dtm42 wrote:
Of course, most people who don't live in North America cannot distinguish between a Canadian accent and an American one
Interesting. I could totally tell he was Canadian but I hail from Wisconsin (Northern U.S. for those, like me, who utterly fail in geography).
Modandrocker wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Oh god...I may be being a douche here but Corey made me laugh. Seems like a nice enough fellow but his voice sounds like...what most people sound like when they do a cheesy 'nerd' impression. Poor guy.
Don't worry. It is a fuckin' terrible voice. I laugh at myself, so yeah. Thanks for sympathy though.
Here I was going to charge to the defence* of my fellow Wisconsinite, and he beat me to it with self-deprication! Surprised

*Why did I momentarily instinctively spell "defense" British-tastically!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
I like that Zac mentioned the 1.5x speed thing, since I've done that quite often as well. Sometimes it's the way to get through a show without killing. The easiest way to do the TV thing is to get a new TV, get a laptop, badabing.

Oh god, and how I wish that conventions could be 17+, if not 18+. I love conventions for buying stuff and having fun, not seeing some goddamn poor idiot running around yelling crap. Brings me to another point, I hate poor people at cons.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Great show!

One of the things I thought interesting was the video stream "segment". There have been a few shows that I bought because I saw all of the episodes streaming legally. Like Black Blood Brothers and season 1 of School Rumble. Season 1 dub of SR is still on Hulu and is also on FUNi's site, maybe YouTube also. But I also "blindly" bought the season 2 box set and OVA even though all the episodes were online. Another show that I saw all the episodes online was Elfen Lied (granted I paid for the Anime Network streaming, it was on sale). I haven't bought the show yet, but I plan to in the future. Baccano is another that I saw on Hulu and then pre-ordered the box set. The dubs were up there for a wile.

Then there's a show like When They Cry. FUNimation's site had the first 4 episodes and I bought the box after that. Those first 4, and the hype around it, were that good. Now they have the entirety of it up but I don't regret buying it like with the other shows.

Lastly, Ouran High School Host Club... I saw the episodes on FUNimation's site and I liked it. It was a fun show. But I would never buy the DVDs or tell my friends (who aren't really anime fans) that I liked it. And maybe One Piece. I've been slowly watching the streams and love it! But might not by the DVDs when I get the dough. The series is just so dang long.

I think the model of having the entirety works for people who are willing to buy DVDs or who really likes the show. Having the show up for a certain amount of time in theory will make an incentive for people to buy it, but its hard to tell if that strategy will actually work. Then again the DVD sales might have been good enough that they can have it online. Like with School Rumble. The singles were out before online streaming. Then again there's the whole bandwidth and server space thing. Which is a monster of a discussion in of its self.

To me it looks like FUNi is doing this on a case by case basis. Which is a smart move. Some shows of all of the dub and/or sub are up and some only have a few episodes. I know with One Piece the episodes are added and removed later. Although that's Toei's decision.

Oy I think this is my longest forum post ever... I hope it coherent. x,x
BDK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Ha! I love how my segment got some special treatment! A very nice touch indeed. Once again, many thanks for letting me on the ANNCast. It was a complete honor.

About Soul Eater, though, I would have to agree that it is just aching in Shonen cliches. Not to say that it is a horrible show, (in fact there were multiple parts where I actually enjoyed it a bit) but there are just some moments that just make it iffy (overall premise, Black Star, for example) and I would have to completely agree with Justin in that having a character named Soul in a show called Soul Eater who primarily collects souls is absolutely aggravating. Shame though, because if it did air on CN or [AS], I could see it doing somewhat well.

Glad to hear some advice about college as well, since I too will be heading off this fall.

I really enjoyed this episode (and not just because I was in it!) and would really encourage future installments such as this. I have to really say, having something like this really makes me feel more part of a "community" than ever before.

Once again thanks to Zac and Justin for the opportunity, keep up the great work and I can't wait for the future episodes!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Personally, I loved Air and Kanon, but I feel like Kannagi would be a good show to draw in fans to "moe" ... mostly because it has a lot more comedy than drama. He is Master was also pretty funny, but it's not the "sad moe drama" - it's definitely farce / parody.

I think that most women, myself included find that moe panders a bit too much to male "interests". Air might be the exception, but He is My Master would definitely not appeal to most of the women I have introduced to anime. For a "moe" title that I think appeals to women, I usually steer them over to Crunchyroll and have them check out the first four or five episodes of Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee). The main character is a little moeblob boy. Most women think he is pretty cute.

jenthehen wrote:
I am definitely with Corey on wanting anime to be "cool / mainstream." I think what we mean when we say that, is that we want people to not instantly think "loser!" if you tell someone you are a fan. I feel like I have to keep it a secret from many of my friends until they get to know me and realize I'm NOT a loser. Heh heh. Which is just silly.

I kind of liken it to the way that Harry Potter and Twilight are SUPER popular and mainstream - those novels could have EASILY remained niche and "dorky" ... even if they made movies. However, something about them caught people's attention somehow, and then WOOOOSH - it's everywhere! They aren't even that great or well-written (in fact, the Twilight books are AWFUL - but people love them!)

Agreed. Why Viz Media didn't pursue a partnership with Amazon.com at the height of the Twilight craze is beyond me. Here is a built in audience, and Amazon is always looking for partners and ways to increase content on their site. They need to exploit these YA book readers and place streaming video on related book ad pages that attract the audience. They are getting some pure luck out of the fact that Vampire Knight manga is starting to get attention from that set. Why else would Vampire Knight #1 show up on this list in January 2010?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-29/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-january-17-23

Streaming video has yet to be used at its full potential. Viz should offer the first two eps of Vampire Knight streaming to Amazon, and do a limited exclusive deal with them like Bandai is doiing with Gundam UC. JMO.

Crunchyroll could do better as well. I pay for a membership, but they are still only offering 720 streams in their increasingly ineffectual player. They could be allowing the paying members streams to fully buffer so there is no stalling or stuttering. but no. it is served up the same way as non-paying members. The quality is still 720, but the stalling and stuttering is worse than ever. You would think they could attach a different load command to all of the 720 streams so they would completely load and play more smoothly. Only paying members get them (720) anyway, so the way it is right now makes no sense. There is hardly any incentive to be a paying member anymore with the jerky quality as it is now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
I think the reason OP doesn't take off here is: 1) There're only a few attractive characters in the series, and they're mostly women; 2) The villains are kind of dumb and goofy at times; and 3) It's not very goal-oriented. Yes, the characters have long-term goals, but they just slack off in the mean-time until they encounter the next round of baddies the week.

Zac: "Get work experience while in college."

Take it from me that this doesn't just apply to entertainment. Crying or Very sad

"mainstream crossover potential?"

I don't feel Sony exploited Tokyo Godfathers enough here, to be honest. Even though I didn't like it as much as Kon's other stuff, it was well-received by most viewers, and not that different from a Hollywood flick, in terms of sensibility. Those Iron Man/Wolvie dvd/bds would be a good place to advertise it. Ironically, I just posted this right before Corey mentioned MA. Very Happy

"good tie-in"

I recently tweeted Vertical that they should advertise Black Jack on the Extraordinary Measures dvd/bd. And I always felt Viz blew the whole vampire fad by waiting a year to announce VK, when they should have picked it up fast, and advertised it in front of Twilight.
Though the worst screw-up was when Gutsoon ignored cross-promoting the FOX release of the Jackie Chan City Hunter w/ the manga.

"I wish it could happen more often"

Well, it seems they haven't learned from Macek how to get the word out. For example, they could easily pay for ads for Trinity Blood in the 30 Days DVD/BD, too.

"should yank the episodes"

Well, I think we'd go back to the original problem of fans who haven't seen said shows, and aren't sure they'd want to pay for 'em. In fact, if there wasn't a substantial viewership for certain shows, I doubt we'd get Gin Tama on DVD in the first place. Hell, that's the only reason Fist is seeing a revival here.

Corey: "Millennium Actress"

Someone needs to pull a GITS 2, and license-rescue it.

"Memories"

Maybe if Sony gets this thing on BD, they could finally put out a dub, too.

Justin: "I have to wait a week...?!"

I'm assuming most of them have enough distractions that it's not a big deal.

penguin:
Quote:
Needless to say, I didn't make many friends in high school.

Better any than no friends like me. *sigh*
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
I've got to say I preferred this format over how you guys normally do things because it meant I listened to a lot more of the show (I rarely tune in for the special guests, the segments are normally too long and business based to keep my attention for long).
I also loved the constant interruptions of the one piece opening because while I didn't enjoy the dub I did (and still do) find the opening adorable. I don't know why, it just somehow seems cute Anime smile
And I've got to agree with the comments on soul eater, even though I was only 14 when I first saw it, I still found the show boring and a little tired. But I did only watch the first two episodes so I cant really know whether or not it becomes amazing later on (though if the manga is anything to judge on then I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And ikillchicken, please post your check to me in the next week. Yeah, you heard me. If you are going to use my (patented) ten-dash technique, then you've gotta pay me some royalties. Cheers.

Bah! I'll see you in court. I invented teh dash technique.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
I really dig this format of doing the show. Not to say that I don't like the normal format to which I do, but it is always nice to have something different. Hopefully next time this format is done I can be available for it. I do have a question, but I wasn't available for this session.

Blood -, you sounded different than I expected. I excepted you to sound a bit older, but after your part was over I then was like, he sounds about right.

I'm not crazy about the streaming aspect either, mainly because I don't care for watching anime on a computer. I work 40 hours a week staring in front of a computer, and when I come home I don't want to spend another 1 1/2 to 2 hours watching anime on my computer. Not saying that I don't watch anime on my computer I do, however I prefer to watch anime on TV with the DVD's that I have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7