• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
On Steph saying about Anime conventions are full of teenagers, I think it's best if older fans get proactive and create their own small conventions instead of attending uncomfortable younger settings. Of course, those conventions have to cater adults' taste while keeping up the spirit of old-school anime fandom. Has anyone in California done this yet?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed too the whole teen party thing at anime conventions. In fact, I'm sort of freaking out as to the issue of taking my dad to one. Over the last 4 years I've taught him to bring out his inner geek, and we've been going to large conventions such as Dragoncon, and he's had a blast. Now he's shown interest in wanting to try an anime convention and I'm trying to figure out how to take him without him seeming like a creep taking pictures (his hobby is photography and he loves taking pics of cosplay at conventions). I've warned him about the age range in compared to something like Dragoncon, but he's still coming. No idea what he's going to do to entertain himself, but he has my brother who's pushing his 30s and maybe they'll find a hentai room or something I rather not think about.

I can still easily hang out with the teens and fangirl away (*cough* early 20s) but I'm finding I'm starting to feel a bit too old for the typical anime convention crowd that seems like a teen hangout. However, I think the answer to us older folks are conventions I've mentioned like Dragon*con. It's not ALL anime, just a small portion, but it's a giant geek fest party where ages are wide ranged between teens to people in their 50s. I think of it as the next step up from an anime convention, yet I still find all the anime goodies I could want, not to mention more viewing rooms showing anime than I currently find at some anime convetions. Then there's the extra perk of finding my North American and UK fandoms as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I must not be that observant, because my two times at Otakon, I didn't notice teen partying. It's probably because I was too busy deciding on whether to buy the faux Mobile Suit Gundam animation cel or the Mr. Popo plush toy.

(I bought both.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
If she hasn't seen them already

My first post contained pretty much the entirety of her anime watching. Anime smile + sweatdrop Although actually, I think I tried to show her Wings of Honneamise back when I was in high school, too...

tuxedocat wrote:
she might like Mushi-Shi, Gankutsuou, Twelve Kingdoms, Story of Saiunkoku, Moribito, or maybe even Baccano! If she likes Aria, she probably won't have any trouble with the pace of Mushi-Shi. Hope that helps... Smile

Ooh, yeah, Mushi-Shi might be a good one....I haven't seen the anime, but from what I've gleaned from the manga the storytelling and pacing would be a good fit. Gankutsuou might be a bit too violent, but then again, she got through all the zombies in d'Eon okay. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
If she hasn't seen them already

My first post contained pretty much the entirety of her anime watching. Anime smile + sweatdrop Although actually, I think I tried to show her Wings of Honneamise back when I was in high school, too...

tuxedocat wrote:
she might like Mushi-Shi, Gankutsuou, Twelve Kingdoms, Story of Saiunkoku, Moribito, or maybe even Baccano! If she likes Aria, she probably won't have any trouble with the pace of Mushi-Shi. Hope that helps... Smile

Ooh, yeah, Mushi-Shi might be a good one....I haven't seen the anime, but from what I've gleaned from the manga the storytelling and pacing would be a good fit. Gankutsuou might be a bit too violent, but then again, she got through all the zombies in d'Eon okay. Razz

Will she watch streaming video? 'Cause there are a few things over on Crunchyroll she might like. I'm thinking Natsume Yujincho, Restaurante Paradiso and perhaps Erin. If she is really into historical things, Does that include Japanese historicals, because there are a ton of those....

I suggested Baccano! only because it is set in 1930's depression-era U.S. (but it is pretty violent).
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Could I say just how much I relate to bemused Bohemian and jgreen's grandmother. I came to anime through the original VHS releases of Akira, Wings of Honneamise and Patlabor - like so many others, except that I was then already into my 40s. I will not see 60 again, but am still excited by such shows as Durarara!, Eden of the East - and yes, even K-on! and Sora no Woto etc!

Despite the fact that I live in a quiet, backwoods, market town in a remote part of the UK - with a patchy TV reception, and no prospect of cable in my lifetime - I have still managed to amass a collection of some 250+ anime series/features and 'live action' films (Kurosawa, Kitano, Ozu etc) - plus a 'western' collection of 400 films and documentaries, and some 400 volumes of manga and books on Japan and Japanese culture. (Not to mention some 8,000+ books relating to my 'working' life!)

When do I find the time? Well, I had to take early retirement on health grounds almost ten years ago, and am now more-or-less housebound. So - could I take this chance to echo Blood-'s sentiments and offer a hearty 'thank you' to ANN for the opportunity to keep in touch with an interest that continually fascinates and entertains me. And more podcasts like the latest one would be more than welcome.

And finally - no, Soul Eater will never be a great show, but I do enjoy it immensely - and again no, Crunchyroll is definitely not a long-term solution, at least not in its present format, but it does offer a reasonable opportunity to assess shows which might be added to a shopping list.

PS: Forlorn hope #1 - when will Cross Game be licensed for the western market?

PPS: Forlorn hope #2 - when will R2 (UK) be treated as generously as R1 (USA)?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I think that, since ANN doesn't do a season preview of the summer or winter anime anyway, that the multiple person debate thing there could work nicely. Plus, fewer shows come out then so it would be easier to get people to try the same things.

And for streaming, I have no idea why the Japanese companies let their shows stay on CR forever, especially if they are licensed. As crazy as they are about making money, I would've thought they would include a clause that says "And you will remove our show" or maybe leave up the first two or three episodes "after this title becomes licensed." No one says they can't renegioate streaming with the R1 company and it would probably save them money in the long run. Then again, it sounds like streaming is considered the "dumping ground" for shows they don't think will be licensed (which baffles me why Durarara is on CR), which is also bad since they're making a bit of money off the bad shows but none off of the good shows. It just sounds like they still don't get the internet and that's hindering everything else.
Basroil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Like Blood- and a few others here I'm also an older fan (50+). While I know there are not many of us out there we are not that rare either.

I've been a fan for about eight years now. Got hooked when my son asked me if I could record these "cool looking cartoons" he was seeing commercials for that were on Cartoon Network's late night Adult Swim. Well by trying to be the responsible parent and prescreen the shows I got hooked by Cowboy Bebop and Tenchi Universe.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Steph brings up all the reasons why I'll probably never go to con. All the stories people bring up just tell me, "Dude, stay away because you'd want to punch everyone." I can't stand being around people who act like fools just to impress people or gain attention (positive or negative), that's why I never went to parties in high school. I'd also have no one to go with so nobody would be there for me to vent on and there's nothing pretty about pent up rage.

I would like to go, but I know I'd just end up being more annoyed than actually having fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Badkarma 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I must say this was the BEST A-Cast yet! We the fans and forum members finally get to ask questions and make comments. I sure do hope you guys do this A LOT more often in the future!
And to Blood- and Basroil I say "thanks" for letting me know I'm NOT the only over 35 Otaku out there. Me I'm 42 and have been a fan of anime since 1990!
Also I've never done the con scene for the above mentioned reasons.
One of my biggest peves has been the lack of advertisement of anime outside fandom. Sure we used to have magazines but like they say 'print is dead'! So how do we get the word out to those who yet don't know what they're missing?
artist45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Have to say Blood + was a good anime.
To bad the story telling in anime are not what they were
like in YU YU Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin:(
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The discussion Zac and Justin had with that fellow Danny had to be my favorite portion of this episode, personally. He sounds like a very interesting individual and an enjoyable guy to be around in general, but more than anything he raised a lot of very intriguing questions, suggestions, and the like about anime.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Hey Blood -, another recent 40+ anime fan.
I was exposed to Starblazers and Battle of the Planets in the early 80s. When I got to college, I fell in love with Thundercats, thinking that the animation was way better.
In 1999 I picked up Ninja scroll on a recommendation.

My anime obsession did not start until 2005 when the company I worked for went Bankrupt, and I took a job working in the natural gas field that was going nuts with the Barnett Shale play around the Fort Worth, TX area. I would get sent out to a well site, living in an RV, but we had satellite TV. My shift was 6:00 pm to 6:00 am. The actual work was mainly about 5 minutes an hour during that time. So I had lots of late night tv viewing going on.

Cartoon network was about the only station that had content the full night, and luckily I caught a run of Cowboy Bebop starting at Asteroid Blues episode 1, hooked ever since.

I buy a ton, rent even more, and am happily going forward.
I do miss going into Best Buy and browsing and picking up new releases. But RACS and Rightstuf online keep me happy.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
grooven wrote:
I wouldn't recommend K-ON to anyone.

Truth.

Quote:
For moe genre I would recommend AIR for starters. It sort of leads you in with the story and characters. The movie did not do the series justice.

I wouldn't go that far. If you were looking for a verbatim recap, that was not the place to do it, and for that matter, the Clannad movie is the same. Both are quite decent as long as you aren't looking for the verbatim narrative.

Quote:
I hope that Justin finishes Kanon I mean at least wait until episode 10. It really does have a beautiful story and offers quite a bit in emotional boundaries and drama.

How does Kanon have a beautiful story? A guy who has conveniently forgotten everything about a town he used to live in comes back and meets five sad girls that only he can save with the power of being there. At best, it's a beautiful string of vignettes as there is no encompassing narrative. It should also be noted that Kanon is the most moeblob-heavy of the Key/KyoAni titles, as can be seen in the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyEUuCMTgqI (for those too terrifed to see what's in the link, it's nearly 7 minutes of nothing but monosyllabic sounds made by the various Kanon girls. Yes, 7 minutes, and no reused scenes, of them just making infantile sounds.)

Kanon as a stringed together story comes off odd. I refer to the stories of each girl. Mostly in Maeda's writing. Since you can't really put their stories together very well. In the game only one ending happens so no other ending happens. Since none of the girls are really connected at all. Just like in ONE, they may cross paths but ultimately have no relation to each other. Plot devices by Kyoto Animation made their stories fuse better than they would without it.

But over all for visual novel anime conversions I would say KEY titles have pulled them off bestIn Clannad's case it made the most sense since their stories are connected. As with AIR they are stories involved with the being in the sky.

I still disagree the AIR movie ending lost all the emotional impact from the original. The Clannad movie ruined personalities, it could have been done better.

Clannad is the best of the three titles in terms of elaborating on characters and story. I would recommend AIR to start to show a series that is short and to drama fans or moe, what you can expect in that genre. It may be quite complex but it demonstrates a powerful end. Depends on what other genre's they like . If comedy I would too recommend Kannagi too.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Splitter wrote:
grooven wrote:
I wouldn't recommend K-ON to anyone.

Truth.

Quote:
For moe genre I would recommend AIR for starters. It sort of leads you in with the story and characters. The movie did not do the series justice.

I wouldn't go that far. If you were looking for a verbatim recap, that was not the place to do it, and for that matter, the Clannad movie is the same. Both are quite decent as long as you aren't looking for the verbatim narrative.

Quote:
I hope that Justin finishes Kanon I mean at least wait until episode 10. It really does have a beautiful story and offers quite a bit in emotional boundaries and drama.

How does Kanon have a beautiful story? A guy who has conveniently forgotten everything about a town he used to live in comes back and meets five sad girls that only he can save with the power of being there. At best, it's a beautiful string of vignettes as there is no encompassing narrative. It should also be noted that Kanon is the most moeblob-heavy of the Key/KyoAni titles, as can be seen in the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyEUuCMTgqI (for those too terrifed to see what's in the link, it's nearly 7 minutes of nothing but monosyllabic sounds made by the various Kanon girls. Yes, 7 minutes, and no reused scenes, of them just making infantile sounds.)

Kanon as a stringed together story comes off odd. I refer to the stories of each girl. Mostly in Maeda's writing. Since you can't really put their stories together very well. In the game only one ending happens so no other ending happens. Since none of the girls are really connected at all. Just like in ONE, they may cross paths but ultimately have no relation to each other. Plot devices by Kyoto Animation made their stories fuse better than they would without it.

But over all for visual novel anime conversions I would say KEY titles have pulled them off bestIn Clannad's case it made the most sense since their stories are connected. As with AIR they are stories involved with the being in the sky.

I still disagree the AIR movie ending lost all the emotional impact from the original. The Clannad movie ruined personalities, it could have been done better.

Clannad is the best of the three titles in terms of elaborating on characters and story. I would recommend AIR to start to show a series that is short and to drama fans or moe, what you can expect in that genre. It may be quite complex but it demonstrates a powerful end. Depends on what other genre's they like . If comedy I would too recommend Kannagi too.

You know, I just liked Clannad the least ... it felt too much like an obvious harem with the "fighting over whose food Tomoya is going to eat" thing, especially. I also felt that the "drama" for Nagisa was nothing - compared to other Key dramas. I've gotten into this before in other threads, though Razz

The second half of After Story is the part I like best ... until the cop-out ending Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7