• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Toradora! as Its First Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company told Anime News Network that it plans to take pre-orders for Toradora! later this month, and it will start shipping the series this April.

That seems like a very quick turnaround. Probably too quick for a dub, I'm afraid.

But I'm just so glad to be getting a DVD release period. <3
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Um... who is NIS?
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
A very surprising with a dash of disturbing. I hope it works out for them and the company doesn't go under, as I love the games NISA brings over and such.

Quote:
Um... who is NIS?

A video game publisher who usually publishes Nippon Ichi games like Disgaea. They also publish Gust game titles and more.

Last edited by Haterater on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The news that Toradora! has finally been licensed, in combination with Funi's earlier announcement about re-issuing FLCL, means that 2010 is already shaping up to be an epic year. I would love for Toradora! to be a hybrid because I'm intensely curious what an English version would sound like, but I'm such a huge Rie Kugimiya fan that I won't be devastated if it is sub-only.

And I'm thrilled to have a new player in the R1 distribution game. Best of luck, NIS America!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
HEGEBAWAH? Forget coming out of left field, this came from outside the freaking park! Who ARE these people anyway, I saw someone called them a video game company but I'm not into the video game area so I don't recognize them at all.
But a chance for me to get Pandora Hearts probably within a year? HOH YEAH AM I WITH THIS!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really interested in Toradora!, but knowing that Pandora Hearts will be coming out soon is awesome news to me. ^^ I love almost anything with the "Alice in Wonderland" theme, so I'd love to check this out (especially dubbed, if they do that).
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I hate being a downer here, but this is NIS America, the US subsidy of Nippon Ichi Software:

http://terminalgamer.com/2010/02/05/nippon-ichi-software-suffers-massive-operating-profit-drop/

that just posted a 95% drop in profits from last year?

Hmm, a company with a freefalling parent corporation decides to get into the anime licensing business in this market?

Why do I not see this ending well?

That being said Toradora being licensed is great news.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Toradora is a typical romantic drama (not comedy). It starts generically, gets crazy awesome in the middle, and sinks to an unbelievable level of fail towards the end.

Just how it is. I dropped it when it was coming out 2/3 of the way in. Predictable, but still kinda nice. Really not worth the hype, in my opinion. Also, waiting for dub tears in this thread.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Karisu wrote:
Really hope they do Blu-Ray releases for these. Don't care if they're dubbed or not though.

Can't believe it's taken this long for Toradora to get licensed.

With the current cost of entry for BluRay authoring, I'm pretty positive no new anime company is going to do BluRay on anything less than an A+ title. Too expensive.

Justin can elaborate more about the cost if you want details.

-t

Yes I'd like to hear more.

Funi is putting out Blu Ray versions for almost everything now, and on the cheap, like real cheap.

Personally knowing something about it, I can't see how/why the process itself would be that costly.

But back to the article: how exactly is NIS going to release these titles? There are no details here....
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
The company told Anime News Network that it plans to take pre-orders for Toradora! later this month, and it will start shipping the series this April.

That seems like a very quick turnaround. Probably too quick for a dub, I'm afraid.

But I'm just so glad to be getting a DVD release period. <3

They could have had it under wraps for quite some time and waited so they could have dubbed it long before. But who knows what's happening in the background since a lot of it is up in the air.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
buu. Palmtop > Handheld <<;. 'Sides that 'grats to Toradora! ... dag nabbit the end songs had JUST gotten unstuck from my head.. ... and now they're back again T3T.. ~~amai, dake nara saruto kakeruyouni~~ @x@...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This is a certainly unexpected development. Personally, I think it's great to have another R1 player, at least for fans. It gives a much better chance of something I want being licensed, plus it gives me hope for a better variety of titles. The only downside I can see is that increased competition will likely mean more expensive licenses, which is good for the Japanese, but not good for Sentai, Funi, or Media Blasters. So it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Also, Toradora is an excellent first pic. I had heard that Funi was really trying to get this one, so I had been expecting them to announce it fairly soon. So to hear NIS scoop in and grab it was a total shock.

We still have a lot of questions that need answered, but I'm going to take this as good news for now. Sub or dub, I will be picking up Toradora.

2010 is shaping up to be a much better year than 2009!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow didn't see that one coming now all they need to do is start dubbing and I will get it
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
Toradora is a typical romantic drama (not comedy). It starts generically, gets crazy awesome in the middle, and sinks to an unbelievable level of fail towards the end.

You're describing the second half. The first half was almost total comedy.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who isn't happy with this news? Seeing how much of a failure their localizations for Disgaea 3 and Cross Edge are when compared to the original Japanese scripts, I really do hope that another company would have picked it up than NIS, considering how Toradora is one of my favourite shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17