• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Toradora! as Its First Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Wait, wait, wait. I'm a scavenger because I buy stuff cheaper than you do? Because I'm not a loyal sheep that pays MSRP and spouts the ideology that I must support the industry because it's my "duty" as a fan? That makes me scavenger? What does that make Rightstuf, DVD Pacific, Buy.com, Amazon and Supermart because that's where I buy pretty much everything I own? It's not my fault they're cheaper than everywhere else and have amazing sales. I use them not to be a cheapo, but because I'm a smart consumer who knows how to stretch every single one of his dollars.

That did come across a bit rough, I apoligize.

I did qualify it with recent posts though. The thread recently does tend to come off a bit as member waiving on who got what for the least, with some bragging about profiting in the anime second hand trade.

I agree with you about stretching the dollar, I too frequent the bargain bin of commercial flops. The entire Aquarion series can be had now for $16! That is outrageous. When Suzuka dropped to $15, I too bought though I was pretty meh on the series, but I held no illusions I was helping out anyone other than TRSI by doing so.

I do not currently do fansubs, and my only stream was the first Tower of Druaga on Youtube (which led me to a buy for the first and a blind buy for the second). There just is not enough time to see everything right now.

Eventually, I will have to start streaming, or catching fansubs. I blind bought some terrible shows (for me), Maburaho, Coyote Ragtime, Ergo Proxy. Stuff that generated such a bad taste in my mouth, that I vowed to preview anything before buying. Netflix helps but is not the be all, most of the new Section 23 releases are not there, as well as some newer Funimation stuff.

If all Netflix distribution points were to buy a copy of a sub only series, that has to be near 100 copies, there are at least 4 Texas distribution sites I know of Houston, Coppell, Waco, Lubbock, probably San Antonio and El Paso as well. The distribution hub information seems to be a little difficult to find. But that alone pushes a title toward profitability.

I would love to know how the whole rental thing works, do the distributors get a cut off each rental? I have never been able to track down hard info.

Might change my mind.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ew no more half assed companies. It's like they are trying to make the market smaller now tending to the minority.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Excel Generations wrote:
Ew no more half assed companies. It's like they are trying to make the market smaller now tending to the minority.

How does a new company (and one that might bring with it some new eyes from the gaming side) licensing new titles make the market smaller?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I have very mixed feelings about this announcement.

Do we need another R1 distributor in an industry where R1 distributors have been dropping not so long ago with a current economy that is still mending?

Is this R1distributor going to do what R1 should by making a release for the fans of the show (sub-only but good extras) or to get others interested (hybrid release, few extras)?

I have been buying the sub-only releases, but not one of them has impressed me enough to replace good quality fansubs that I've downloaded. I'm not even ripping those discs (including Rental Magica) because I do like the karaoke and the quality increase is just very limited. I did like the Nozomi extras, but the stuff being released by Sentai is honestly pathetic and quite lazy. They want to get paid for doing what many do for free, while having costs that are so low that one has to believe that the Japanese aren't really getting much out of these licenses anyway.

On the other hand, anything is better than nothing, but I kind of think they would be better off releasing in a few years when the economy is better, and doing better marketing. I know many are of the opinion that anime can't possibly have a broader appeal than it does, but I don't even think they have tried hard enough to really say that. With the exception of Funimation and Viz, the marketing is extremely limited for anime, and even with them it's on a limited number of channels that don't promote it much.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
Also, everyone saying they won't buy it unless it is dubbed, You wouldn't buy it anyways. Seriously, just STFU! You should be happy there is anything even being released in the US with all you guys pirating your anime because subs should be free in your eyes.
Well that's nice of you to assume but your wrong. I'm a huge supporter of the R1 market but I've skipped on picking up some of Bandai's and Sentai's latest releases because of a lack of a dub or extras. Shows like Sola, Maria-Holic and Special A would without question be on my shelf if they had a dub or any extras.

You kind of proved my point by saying that. Seriously, a lack of a dub shouldn't be enough to stop you form getting a show you enjoy.

Blood- wrote:

I prefer dubs, but will buy subbed shows if I like them enough (which definitely includes Toradora!). But it is also true that there are some shows that if I'm on the fence, a dub can push me from "I may buy (or even I won't buy)" to "I will definitely buy."

This is the type of dub fan I like. Willing to buy a show they enjoy even if it is subbed. Thank you for actually supporting the anime industry unlike some people who are elitists.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
@ Panda Man

What is your definition of elitism? Especially for people who know nothing of a show at all and are considering their options? Why should one buy something that one isn't going to enjoy? Each and everyone person is different. They should buy something if they know they will still enjoy it. Would one support a release if its dub-only? Not buying that is not supporting the industry, so why double standard if one were to go that route? Don't even get me started on how some people can't enjoy a method because of a variety of conditions.

Honestly, buy what you feel you'll like, taking into account everything. I'm not a strong believer of just buying stuff to support things if you don't really enjoy the product. I love NISA and continue to wish them best on their games, but you don't see me buying every single one of their releases, especially ones I have no interest in.

They are a small company, but they should know their releases will target specific fans and take that into account in their budgets. They should know how to handle their anime stuff if they follow their game stuff, as some of their games were dub only, sub only, and both. Not to mention different game genres and the likes.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
@Haterater
By elitists, I mean the people that swear that dubs are better no matter what and refuse to buy a subbed version of a show they watched fansubbed and say they love it, but once it is licensed and announced to be sub only, refuse to buy it. I said nothing about buying a show they don't like. Make sure you read my post more carefully first. This is about the people complaining about no dub.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
That does go to a point I made about buying things you might not like. In this case, people who like the show but prefer that preference in their product that they want to buy. And I have seen people on the gaming side do the same thing, "pirated Japanese version and love it, won't buy English release if there is no Japanese VA." Its basically moral VS your personal enjoyment which is like the fansub debate in a way, not winnable.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
That does go to a point I made about buying things you might not like. In this case, people who like the show but prefer that preference in their product that they want to buy. And I have seen people on the gaming side do the same thing, "pirated Japanese version and love it, won't buy English release if there is no Japanese VA." Its basically moral VS your personal enjoyment which is like the fansub debate in a way, not winnable.

That example doesn't properly fit.

The gamer is unsatisfied that the version he played via the Japanese version is different than the version released stateside. That isn't true in R1 anime. The version of anime that someone enjoyed fansubbed is still provided for in the stateside released. They don't release anime without the Japanese audio anymore, other than I guess the 4Kids releases and Kurokami's BluRay.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Really, I could care less about what people do as long as they don't come to the forum to complain. I get on hoping to talk about a series I enjoy only to see "OH NOES! NO DUB IS BAD, LETS COMPLAIN SO THE REAL FANS OF THE SERIES CAN'T DISCUSS IT PROPERLY."

But I guess that will happen no matter what forum you get on, so I should probably learn to deal with it.
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
The Count wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
Also, everyone saying they won't buy it unless it is dubbed, You wouldn't buy it anyways. Seriously, just STFU! You should be happy there is anything even being released in the US with all you guys pirating your anime because subs should be free in your eyes.
Well that's nice of you to assume but your wrong. I'm a huge supporter of the R1 market but I've skipped on picking up some of Bandai's and Sentai's latest releases because of a lack of a dub or extras. Shows like Sola, Maria-Holic and Special A would without question be on my shelf if they had a dub or any extras.

You kind of proved my point by saying that. Seriously, a lack of a dub shouldn't be enough to stop you form getting a show you enjoy.
Once again thank you for deciding how I should have my media presented to me. And no, in no way did I prove your point. Like I said before I am contently buying anime and would buy more if it was presented to me the way I enjoy more. This has nothing to do with me thinking that dubs are way better or that I'm some kind of "anime elitist". No I simply would like to buy R1's in a language that makes it much easier for me to take in the whole product.

And if this kind of discussion (which seem pretty tame and reasonable compared to how thing could get) is to much for you then why keep on coming here. Its like me walking into a store and getting punched in the face by the store manager. Guess what, after the first time I wouldn't go there anymore.

Last edited by The Count on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
That does go to a point I made about buying things you might not like. In this case, people who like the show but prefer that preference in their product that they want to buy.

But the thing is, a lot of these dub fans complaining watched the show subbed, and didn't seem to have a problem with it then. It's not simply about having a preference anymore, since they don't seem to have a problem with subs when they're free. But when it comes time to plunk down 20 bucks (a very reasonable price), they suddenly start talking about how much they hate subs.
I've got zero issue if a dub fan chooses to skip on a show for not having a dub, however, I've got an issue when that same fan has already watched the fansub with no problem, and will most likely continue to watch the fansub.
I'm also of the opinion that buying a sub only release might be a good thing in the long run for dub fans, as that's money going into the industry, and therefore, money that could potentially go towards dubbing new series. Dokuro-chan is a perfect example of this. It sold well enough that Media Blasters has decided to do a dub for it. By refusing to purchase a show they've already watched fansubbed, they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot in regards to ever getting that show dubbed.

Anyway...I started watching Toradora! fansubbed, and couldn't stand Taiga. However, I love slice of life/romance/moe anime...and I'm thinking maybe I didn't give this show enough of a chance. I'll probably pick this one up, especially if NIS gives it a nice artbox and goodies.

Last edited by Quark on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Megiddo
Its rare that it does happen, as such with 4Kids and the likes, but you get what I'm trying to convey. Although one can argue about fan translated games and the rare times companies do announce bringing the game in question for the overseas market.

I understand that, Panda Man.

Looking at Quark's and The Count's points, its unwinnable for me to decide, as the two make good points.
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Haterater wrote:
That does go to a point I made about buying things you might not like. In this case, people who like the show but prefer that preference in their product that they want to buy.

But the thing is, a lot of these dub fans complaining watched the show subbed, and didn't seem to have a problem with it then. It's not simply about having a preference anymore, since they don't seem to have a problem with subs when they're free. But when it comes time to plunk down 20 bucks (a very reasonable price), they suddenly start talking about how much they hate subs.
I've got zero issue if a dub fan chooses to skip on a show for not having a dub, however, I've got an issue when that same fan has already watched the fansub with no problem, and will most likely continue to watch the fansub.
Okay I'm not trying to be rude but would seriously like to ask you something. Does your issue with those fans also stand for people that will watch a legal stream but not buy the sub only R1? And if so what if I were to say I love watching Lost, but I won't buy the series because I have an issue with the audio format that was used or I don't like the video transfer. Both of those would take away from me enjoying the final product, but should I settle and buy it because I enjoyed it when it was free(I realize there's probably a better way to make my point)?

Quark wrote:
I'm also of the opinion that buying a sub only release might be a good thing in the long run for dub fans, as that's money going into the industry, and therefore, money that could potentially go towards dubbing new series. Dokuro-chan is a perfect example of this. It sold well enough that Media Blasters has decided to do a dub for it. By refusing to purchase a show they've already watched fansubbed, they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot in regards to ever getting that show dubbed.
I've thought the same thing, but then I thought what if these companies start selling high volumes of sub only releases? What incentive would they have for dubbing a show? Or worse what if other companies that are still dubbing see the sales of these sub only sets and they change their business model to follow.

Its been sometime since I bought a sub only release, the last being Kannagi. But I'll probably pick up Persona either way.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Okay I'm not trying to be rude but would seriously like to ask you something. Does your issue with those fans also stand for people that will watch a legal stream but not buy the sub only R1?

No, because you are supporting the industry. That is the entire idea behind legal streams.

-Tofu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17