• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Toradora! as Its First Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

I think the issue is that Toradora isn't a strong enough series to do that, as from what I hear, I can get a series very similar to it, right now, legally if the desire to do so is there.

well I don't know where you get the Idea that toradora is not a strong series, there was a survey on funimations blog site, now they won't give us the results of it, but if you take the time and go through the comments, there are over 2000, sure some are the same people, but non the less, the results are that after all the sailor moon wining, the second show people wanted funimation to license and dub was Toradora, now whether or not funimation seriously looked into getting the show or not, we might never know, but I browse a large amount of anime forums, and the responce I am seeing is that it should be a very good seller,

toradora is considered one of the best shows of the 2008/09 season, based on reviews I have read on other sites. I myself am just glad it is being licensed, so I can own a pressed copy in R1.

we still do not know how long NIS america was trying to get the license, I have read on other sites that they were working on toradora for months and then finally announced it, and another company did the same thing,

Media blasters announced a few weeks ago that they will be releasing kanokon on DVD in april, and it will have an English dub, so until I read an official statement from NIS that it is sub only, well I will be hopeful. so for all we know, NIS could have been working on this show for a few months now, and just finally announced it once they got all their ducks in a row so to speak.

and if you read between the lines on this forum about toradora, the majority of people are happy it will be licensed for the R1 region. but after that you get the who sub verses dub argument.

but in all, just the fact people are going back and forth about whether or not they will buy it depending on if it is only subtitled or if an english dub is added shows that Toradora is popular
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
The Count wrote:
Okay I'm not trying to be rude but would seriously like to ask you something. Does your issue with those fans also stand for people that will watch a legal stream but not buy the sub only R1?

No, because you are supporting the industry. That is the entire idea behind legal streams.

-Tofu

Yep, exactly what Tofu said. It's a free LEGAL method of watching it, that's being paid for through advertising, so even if you haven't paid for it, there is still money being made. So, relating to anime, if someone wants to watch streams through Funi's site, or through ANN, or Crunchy Roll, and not buy the DVDs, it's perfectly fine.

And with your example with Lost, you have the option of watching it on television, which is again, paid for through sponsers and advertising, and I believe it can be streamed through NBC's website. Therefore, if you don't want to purchase their DVDs because of lack of perceived quality, that's okay. You have two free legal options of watching it that are approved of by the creators and broadcaster, and they can still make money.

Fansubs are different though, as they're not approved of by the creators, and they don't return any money at all to them. It just has never seemed right to me that someone could watch a show fansubbed, claim they love it, but then refuse to pay a very small price for it just because it lacks a dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
Also, everyone saying they won't buy it unless it is dubbed, You wouldn't buy it anyways. Seriously, just STFU! You should be happy there is anything even being released in the US with all you guys pirating your anime because subs should be free in your eyes.
Well that's nice of you to assume but your wrong. I'm a huge supporter of the R1 market but I've skipped on picking up some of Bandai's and Sentai's latest releases because of a lack of a dub or extras. Shows like Sola, Maria-Holic and Special A would without question be on my shelf if they had a dub or any extras.

Did you mean to say a dub AND extras? The reason I'm asking is because you include Maria-holic in that list when it actually includes a large number of extras. In fact, it has more than 90% of R1 releases out there.

From Right Stuf: Special Features: Club At-X Interview, Special X-Mas Night - Amenokisaki Holy Night Festival, Japanese Commercial Collection, Japanese Promotional Video, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/0it9War7MNlYd4uaVH/browse/item/85978/4/0/0
OzXGilfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
The Count wrote:
Okay I'm not trying to be rude but would seriously like to ask you something. Does your issue with those fans also stand for people that will watch a legal stream but not buy the sub only R1?

No, because you are supporting the industry. That is the entire idea behind legal streams.

-Tofu

Yep, exactly what Tofu said. It's a free LEGAL method of watching it, that's being paid for through advertising, so even if you haven't paid for it, there is still money being made. So, relating to anime, if someone wants to watch streams through Funi's site, or through ANN, or Crunchy Roll, and not buy the DVDs, it's perfectly fine.

Fansubs are different though, as they're not approved of by the creators, and they don't return any money at all to them. It just has never seemed right to me that someone could watch a show fansubbed, claim they love it, but then refuse to pay a very small price for it just because it lacks a dub.

I agree ^^ A true fan will buy the series no matter ^^ even if it has dub or not . I'm going to buy Pandora hearts, even if its sub only ^O^ I love the series & want to own it on DVD. The thing I hate from a lot of fake ( the reason why I use the word fake is because they are not willing to buy anime) anime fans these days is that when you tell them that you are collecting anime DVDs, they think you are weird & they try to convince you that anime for free online .. anime is not for free! this is the main reason why anime licensing companies are not dubbing anime anymore because they lack in support ... * No buying, No dub* I have been buying anime for 13 years *back in the 7th grade*^^ & I am still buying my favorite shows as they come out on DVD ^O^ To all the people who watch anime on online, say they love it & are not willing to buy it.... are fake fans!

Last edited by OzXGilfan on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
BigSpoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
No a real fan will not settle for crap. Thus sub only profits are small. Region 1 does not want a japanese only dialogue. Omitting a dub does just that, the main buyers don't buy a sub only dvd in an english speaking country. Most of these sub only titles especially from sentai filmworks are sub for a good reason. They won't sell much and can't sustain added costs in this economic times, so they are left to the hardcore otaku. But lately it's been getting pretty lame and ridiculous with some of these so called low end shows getting licensed and cheaply slapped with a sub only aspect. Even Funi was looking into Toradora now with NIS swooping in for the win and rumors of sub only is just a slap to the face. And to those who think funi would have licensed it if they wanted to is completely ignorant. You think funi can pick everything up in a single period?! And wtf is the lazy excuse with Clannad, probablly the best selling sub only title and we still get shafted with the second season. I better see some results from NIS!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
BigSpoon wrote:
I better see some results from NIS!

Stamp your foot some more, you'll show them.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Mm, yes. If Toradora sells as much as there are people claiming that this is one of the best romance series out there, this company will do just fine. Hopefully said people will invest some money in the show, whether dubbed or not, because, well, why would they go around claiming that the show is this great(when they clearly watched it subbed) and still refuse to buy it without dubs?

BigSpoon wrote:
They won't sell much and can't sustain added costs in this economic times, so they are left to the hardcore otaku.

So true. Anybody who'd buy a disc without dub is a damned harcore otaku. Couldn't agree more with your view.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
BigSpoon wrote:
They won't sell much and can't sustain added costs in this economic times, so they are left to the hardcore otaku.

So true. Anybody who'd buy a disc without dub is a damned harcore otaku. Couldn't agree more with your view.

Or because I like the series and almost never listen to the English dubs anyway? It's nice to have the option but rarely have I found myself making use of it. You don't need to be a "hardcore otaku" or "hardcore" anything to prefer a foreign movie or tv show in its' original language.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I would love to know how the whole rental thing works, do the distributors get a cut off each rental?

No, they don't. Just like any retailer, their costs will be based on how many units they purchase. The more the rental business buys, the cheaper per DVD it is.

Once the purchases are made, the rental fees belong to the renting company and no sharing is done.

Though, to offset these costs, many rental places will buy in massive bulk, get what they can for the rentals, then sell off the DVDs to recoup monies. If I am to buy movies, I buy them at Blockbuster, who often sells them at 4 for $20 ($5 each).

How many units will be purchased by Blockbuster or Netflix (the two largest chains in the US) remains to be seen. But if each only buys a few, the remaining recoup for licensing then falls upon the fans.

Last time I perused these rental facilities, it seems they don't carry mass quantities of titles of any series, leaving it up to retailers to push the goods to us (hopefully at a discount).

Now, on topic. I've never heard of Toradora, but it seems it has some of you salivating at the mouth (and no where else, thank goodness) so I'll be checking this one out, regardless if it's dubbed or not.
Though, if it is sub only, it must be around my $20 price point before I'll buy it, so best hope TRSI puts it on sale quickly for around this price.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Well this is just awesome, I've always wanted to watch these 3 animes and now I will be able to do so.

I won't watch them if they ended up not getting dubbed though.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I would love to know how the whole rental thing works, do the distributors get a cut off each rental?

No, they don't. Just like any retailer, their costs will be based on how many units they purchase. The more the rental business buys, the cheaper per DVD it is.

Once the purchases are made, the rental fees belong to the renting company and no sharing is done.

Source please. because:
Quote:
FBI Warning: Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthroized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures and video tapes (Title 17, United States Code, Sections 501 and 506.) The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigates allegations of criminal copyright infringement. (Title 17, United States Code, Section 506.)

Seems to preclude an unlicensed third party gain from copyrighted material. There has to be an agreement in place, whether it be through higher initial media costs (which I seem to recall being the case early in the rental game) or residuals per rental paid to the studio. Information about this is pretty scarce, and my searches from my Google attempts has not been of any help.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Actually, I don't know how things are done these days(with Netflix and the like). But back in the day when the only place to rent movies was B&M stores, movie companies would sell copies of the movies to these companies at a premium. Usually 3-5 times the MSRP. By doing this they essentially bought a license to rent out that copy as much as the wanted to. If you have ever lost or destroyed a movie and then been asked to pay an outrageous fee, that is likely the reason.

Keep in mind these business practices may no longer be in effect. But that is in fact how it worked back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Then again there may be a different but similar variant of the same practice held into effect today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="PetrifiedJello"]
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

/quote]

That's not entirely true. Most large B&M rental chains, including Blockbuster operate on a revenue sharing basis. They buy a large quantity of copies at an extreme discount, then split the rental revenues with the movie studios.

Several small rental chains actually filed lawsuits against Blockbuster because of this business practice. They felt it was unfair competition, as Blockbuster was paying less for rentals.

However, places like Redbox and Netflix seem to just buy wholesale copies, or copies from retail depending on the movie studio involved. In these cases, the studios do not usually get any cut of the revenue. I'm not sure how Blockbuster Online operates.

Since anime companies are so small, the revenue sharing deals wouldn't apply to them anyway. They are usually reserved for large studios and distribution companies.

Back in the VHS days, rental movies were over $100 a copy. Though in return, rental places got nearly exclusive license to the movies, as retail copies weren't generally made available at an affordable price for at least 90 days. The advent of DVD pretty much changed all that, as Blockbuster and others were unable to reach a deal for the medium that would allow the same exclusive window. This did lead to the home video market exploding in the early 2000's though.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Source please.

I am not your butler and I find it very difficult to believe your Google searches netted you nothing on this topic.

Quote:
FBI Warning:

This has nothing to do with rentals. The warning is applied for those who wish to copy DVDs, then rent/sell them.

Dargonxtx wrote:
But back in the day...

I've never read anything to which a store paid more than MSRP and I'd be surprised if rental stores actually fell for this, rather than walk to a retailer and buy a copy as an alternative.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
That's not entirely true. Most large B&M rental chains, including Blockbuster operate on a revenue sharing basis.

The only video rental business I know of who has a royalty-based system is Netflix and it involves only 2 studios. I do not believe these contracts were welcomed, but more bullied in order to prevent the same issues Redbox is going through now.

If Blockbuster does have a royalty deal, it'll be the first I've heard of it. Though, it wouldn't make sense given the number of titles Blockbuster buys, especially those rental exclusives.
Just a side note, personally speaking: Blockbuster is failing big time, and I wouldn't be surprised if a royalty deal is inked to keep them afloat, pointless as it may be for them now.

Caution to the readers: If you intend to read up on Redbox, do note the practices of the studios, especially Warner Bros., may entice you to boycott their products by never buying/renting the studio's DVDs ever again.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Dargonxtx wrote:
But back in the day...

I've never read anything to which a store paid more than MSRP and I'd be surprised if rental stores actually fell for this, rather than walk to a retailer and buy a copy as an alternative.

When I was a teenager I worked in a store that had a video rental section. I don't know how it works now either, but my experiences were as Dargonxtx mentions. VHS tapes (DVDs weren't even in production back then) made exclusively for rental were sold for $80 to $100+ and were typically available before consumer copies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17