• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: NIS America to Release Anime Titles in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
ZenErik wrote:
Yay for Toradora. I couldn't care less if they do a decent dub. As long as the subs are good and have very few (or no) typos.

Fixed. :p
Heck, I wouldn't even mind a few typos in Toradora. As long as the subs are accurately translated and written in decent English, i.e. "Why are you awake, Ryuuji?" and not "Why is Ryuuji awake?", they'll be an improvement. A lack of fansubber self-references, trolling, and meme-based lines like "This is relevant to my interests!" would also be bonuses.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'm interested at this point as to how will NIS America will release these titles? Either the half season sets the way FUNi and Sentai do their releases or the single disc volume sets. If their smart they'll do the former.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
I cannot help but wonder if NIS is basing their choice of titles based on internet hype and fervor. I just don't see the value in pitching series that 99.9999% of its target audience have already completey seen, maybe even several times. And unless it receives a barebones release, how could it possibly make money?

But you could say the same thing for any other licensor though. Most people have already seen those titles, through fansubs or streaming. Heck even Funi's surveys for future titles that have already aired practically assume that. Personally I won't buy without having watched the show first. I don't rewatch anything until years later so the DVDs and BDs I buy are good for that.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Always nice to see a new player in the R1 game. NIS, welcome, hope you find success, would love to help you out in the first round but I'm not interested in any of these titles. Here's to hoping I find something I would spend money on in round two. Wink
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
One of my best friends keeps telling me how awesome Pandora Hearts is, but I don't watch fansubs so I've been left out in the cold. Can't wait to see this one X3
ragnawind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
I just found out that NIS's anime will most likely be released sub-only. This is very unfortunate for those like me who prefer to watch their anime, rather than read it. If you want to watch a show sub-only, you should just read the manga.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
You know, a lot of people like to watch things in the original language, and don't understand the language, so therefore like subtitles.

Oh, by the way? At least one of those series doesn't have a manga (Persona ~Trinity Soul~), and one has deviations from the manga, and a major difference in the ending (Pandora Hearts). So, to get the anime's story, reading the manga isn't an option.
ragnawind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Another bad thing about sub-only releases is that they won't make as much money as they would if they released it with a dub. They also say that they do everything they can to please their fans, but that would involve satisfying every type of audience. Watching a show in its original language even if you don't understand it, just because it is the original, isn't really a good excuse for watching it subbed. If you don't understand what is being said, you have to look at the top of bottom of the screen to read the subtitles. This usually makes you miss something that you would otherwise have seen if you were watching the whole screen at once while reading the subs. You can't truly appreciate something if you don't understand what you are hearing while watching it. I am just stating an opinion, not trying to start a fight. If anime is going to be released in an english speaking country where the main language is english, it would only be fair to release the anime in the native language of that country so that more people will be able to enjoy it. A lot of normal people won't even watch something if they can't understand what is being said.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:
Another bad thing about sub-only releases is that they won't make as much money as they would if they released it with a dub. They also say that they do everything they can to please their fans, but that would involve satisfying every type of audience. Watching a show in its original language even if you don't understand it, just because it is the original, isn't really a good excuse for watching it subbed. If you don't understand what is being said, you have to look at the top of bottom of the screen to read the subtitles. This usually makes you miss something that you would otherwise have seen if you were watching the whole screen at once while reading the subs. You can't truly appreciate something if you don't understand what you are hearing while watching it. I am just stating an opinion, not trying to start a fight. If anime is going to be released in an english speaking country where the main language is english, it would only be fair to release the anime in the native language of that country so that more people will be able to enjoy it. A lot of normal people won't even watch something if they can't understand what is being said.

Yes, you maybe be missing a little of the visual with subtitles. And they can even get in the way sometimes. But you're missing a shit ton (scientific term) of the original audio track with an English dub. :p

Everyone has their preferences though. I can go either way, but I tend to go for the original Japanese tracks. Especially if I'm watching anything moe, romance, shojo/josei, harem, etc. I feel that in English, the actors just can't replicate the cuteness of a Japanese girl's voice. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ragnawind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
ragnawind wrote:

Yes, you maybe be missing a little of the visual with subtitles. And they can even get in the way sometimes. But you're missing a shit ton (scientific term) of the original audio track with an English dub. :p

Everyone has their preferences though. I can go either way, but I tend to go for the original Japanese tracks. Especially if I'm watching anything moe, romance, shojo/josei, harem, etc. I feel that in English, the actors just can't replicate the cuteness of a Japanese girl's voice. Very Happy

The subs aren't really accurate translations, which most sub fans believe they are. Also, if you like the Japanese language so much, you should go to Japan, if you can, and learn their language so you can watch the shows and understand them.

EDIT: Also, it is all personal preference, but if a show is brought over to America and it isn't dubbed, it isn't fair to the fans who like to watch a show in their own language. There are dub fans that keep up with information about subbed anime, and they may decide to want to see something if it is brought to America. If it isn't dubbed when and if it does come to America, it would be an extreme disappointment for them. There were a lot of recent (about 1 year old licenses) sub-only anime brought to America that I had wanted to see (I am a dub fan), but I was disappointed that many of them weren't dubbed.

EDIT 2: If they do sub releases this year, but are able to dub them next year or the year after, I will start purchasing the DVDs with the dubs included to help support them more. I would also be looking forward to what they plan on licensing next if they can afford to dub them as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:

The subs aren't really accurate translations

So you're fluent in Japanese I take it?

What'd ya get on the JLPT? And what level did you take to get that score?
ragnawind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ragnawind wrote:

The subs aren't really accurate translations

So you're fluent in Japanese I take it?

What'd ya get on the JLPT? And what level did you take to get that score?
I am not fluent in Japanese and never said that. The subs are just made by the fans based on the story or the company that licenses it. There is also no true way to translate one language to another without taking backdoors, which would take away the true meaning of what is being said. This would mean what you read in the subtitles may not actually be what is really meant. That is why almost every fansub and official company sub have different translations, because no language can properly be translated to any other language. This would also mean that dubs aren't the true means of what is meant to be said from the Japanese version either, but it is basically meaning the same thing as the officially translated subs.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
"Accurate" does not mean "exact". I think that's where your reasoning is erred. Subs on DVDs are "accurate" (for the most part) because they are subbed by professionals who do speak the language.

Until you're fluent in Japanese enough to be able to spot errors in subtitles, you cannot go making a claim regarding the accuracy of a professional.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I believe you can based on word of mouth of people who do know the language and post the inaccuracies. That's why I love sites who do comparisons of official language stuff. Just because they are a professional doesn't mean they are always right, but the same can be true for fan stuff. Multiple opinions will help in that, especially more than one person who is fluent.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Translation, especially something like Japanese to English, is as much an art as science. What subs have over dubs (in addition to not overwriting the original audio track) is that the translation and reading do not have to be finessed to fit lip flaps drawn for another language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3