• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa: Haruhi Film Earns 200 Million Yen in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
I can't wait tell it comes out in the US so I can get it
Seconded*
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But even though the movie has been a hit in the first week, that still doesn't forgive the Endless Eight disaster.

Ranting about Endless Eight is becoming more irritating the saga itself.

Not surprised the film was such as success, waiting for a license is only a matter of time.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
nagato316 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Anyhow, is "Vanishment" even a word or did they just pull that out of Yuki's giant witch hat?

Vanishment is definitely a real word and not just "Engrish." I just confirmed as such...it's in the Random House dictionary as well as Merriam-Webster's unabridged.

At any rate this news of the Haruhi flick's box office take should be an encouraging sign for Bandai re: the eventual R1 licensing/release of Vanishment. *shrug* Provided Bandai still has their stuff together just enough to get to that point.

Well, Firefox's spell checker says it isn't, and it doesn't sound right to me either, which prompted me to ask.
Firefox spell checker is missing A LOT of words. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Vanishment

And more on topic, I wonder how long this will take to get an R1 release...1.5 year or less...if ever is my guess
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Luna Loving wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But even though the movie has been a hit in the first week, that still doesn't forgive the Endless Eight disaster.

Ranting about Endless Eight is becoming more irritating the saga itself.

Not surprised the film was such as success, waiting for a license is only a matter of time.

I'm pretty sure we are all half-joking about it all at this point. At least I am. We know the merits and intention for it but we aren't blind to the flaws of it all or to the opinions of those who really dislike it, so why not joke about it? Calm down. We don't hate it. It's just not a strong point for the series is all. And I doubt a sentence counts as a rant. But that's just me.

I still blame Kyon for it all. 10,000+ reset Kyon. All of them your fault. How could you do that to Nagato?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
And more on topic, I wonder how long this will take to get an R1 release...1.5 year or less...if ever is my guess

I just can't resist bragging about it; hopefully it will be screened this summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
godzhila

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
god dormcat, makes me so jealous. another reason why i should go back to taiwan.
CoolyChaN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yuki like totally change in the movie. Can't wait to watch it. Very Happy
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I'm pretty sure we are all half-joking about it all at this point. At least I am. We know the merits and intention for it but we aren't blind to the flaws of it all or to the opinions of those who really dislike it, so why not joke about it? Calm down. We don't hate it.

It can be hard to tell when someone's being serious or not with text only communication, especially when it's to do with nerd rage.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Taco-chan wrote:
People complain about the Endless Eight thing, but you know they are still going to see this movie! ;D

Because we heard that Haruhi truly disappeared, so out of pure raw happiness we simply watch it.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
God forbid people should be allowed to have ill feelings towards Endless Eight or to criticize anything about the franchise in general. You know, criticism like every other piece of media entertainment in the world has to weather at one point or another. Lol Kyoani fanboys and your unyielding determination to make their franchises out to be a flawless masterpieces. Laughing

Hopefully the movie does prove to be worth watching though because Kyoani works have seriously been on the level of mediocre the past year. Something tells me this is going to be an upswing for the animated side of the franchise. Then again after the second season episodes it's kind of hard to go downhill any further.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:
the only reason people were mad at endless 8 was because everyone thought we wouldn't be getting the Dissapearance arc. once they announced the movie, it was all ok.

Yeah, no one was annoyed they blew half a series on nonsense.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Finally managed to see this today. With so few theaters showing it getting tics was a bigger hassle than usual.
For the record, the REAL English title is The DISAPPEARANCE of Haruhi Suzumiya. It even appears at the beginning of the film itself.

Its pretty long (2hrs) and adheres to the original light novel pretty tightly. A lot of the environments (SOS Club meeting room, etc) have been redone in CG although its pretty subtle. As expected, theres a LOT of soliloquies from Kyon, even more than usual since Haruhi...well, if the title doesnt give it away...^^;

MAKE SURE you brush up on both the original series as well as endless eight before watching this. Theres a fair bit of alternate timeline/time jumping going on that is directly linked to key scenes in BOTH.
Cant wait to rewatch this once it hits blu Smile
With the Fate/Stay Night movie being pretty good, and Trigun Bandlands Rumble due out in 2 months its already a pretty good year for theatrical anime Smile
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
God forbid people should be allowed to have ill feelings towards Endless Eight or to criticize anything about the franchise in general. You know, criticism like every other piece of media entertainment in the world has to weather at one point or another. Lol Kyoani fanboys and your unyielding determination to make their franchises out to be a flawless masterpieces. Laughing

All I'm saying is, Endless Eight is old news. Let's look at Vanishment (Disappearance, whatever) separately from the franchise so far. And by the looks of the statistics, the movie can certainly stand on its own.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
For the record, the REAL English title is The DISAPPEARANCE of Haruhi Suzumiya. It even appears at the beginning of the film itself.

The 2ch thread actually has a FAQ dedicated to whether it is vanishment or disappearance because it is written differently in different places on official merchandise. The long and short is that Disappearance is more commonly used despite the flaws in using it while Vanishment is more proper but archaic and unused.

Quote:
MAKE SURE you brush up on both the original series as well as endless eight before watching this. Theres a fair bit of alternate timeline/time jumping going on that is directly linked to key scenes in BOTH.
There shouldn't be more than a couple lines referring to E8 max. You mean something else: spoiler[ BLR ].
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'M A COMPLETE HARUHI DEVOTEE AND DIDN'T KNOW THEY RELEASED A MOVIE!!! BANDAI HAD BETTER BRING THIS OVER AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3