• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa: Haruhi Film Earns 200 Million Yen in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There shouldn't be more than a couple lines referring to E8 max. You mean something else: spoiler[ BLR ].

Well theres some references to both, but BLR is actually what I meant. Sorry, was a late night. Oh and the movie pamphlet is way higher quality than usual Smile

As for the Disappearance vs Vanishment debate, considering what happens in the movie I can see how some people would prefer Vanishment. Then again, Erasure would make more sense too. From the standpoint of a native English speaker however, Id have to go with Disappearance - it sounds more natural and I like the way that its actually understated as opposed to what actually happens.

Just my 2 yen. Anyways its Sunday which means Im off to Akiba to make my wallet cry. Ciao!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm really, really hoping that The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya plays at FantAsia in Montreal this July. It'd totally be worth the price of the Greyhound round trip daytrip ticket I'd have to buy to get there from Ottawa just to see it on the "big" screen at the Concordia University auditorium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
For the record, the REAL English title is The DISAPPEARANCE of Haruhi Suzumiya. It even appears at the beginning of the film itself.

Click me. Could you provide some photographs of the REAL English title? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The Nagabuchi wrote:
For the record, the REAL English title is The DISAPPEARANCE of Haruhi Suzumiya. It even appears at the beginning of the film itself.

Click me. Could you provide some photographs of the REAL English title? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but Im not seeing it at the cinema again and even if I did pulling out a camera in a Japanese cinema is not something I'd ever do. Cinemas are pretty hardcore about bootleg recordings here.
It comes up in English at the beginning of the film. This may be different to what was used in the past but it the official English title they are going with for the film.
Mind you, I can see where the confusion is coming from. Theres THREE titles for the story if you count the light novel which is The VANISHING of Haruhi Suzumiya. Personally Id take even this title over Vanishment. As someone who has done his fair share of translating and interpretation however, I'd have gone with Disappearance from the beginning. Having said this, its obvious that different people involved in the property have basically used electronic dictionaries and come up with different names. Yes, VANISHMENT is used on the OST as well. I'm not saying its wrong, just that its not the official title of the FILM.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The Nagabuchi wrote:

I'll back him up on this: The title that appears in the movie itself is "The Disappearance" and it does so in english by itself (as in, not a "translation" of Japanese text next to it).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing this.

In Japanese and (hopefully, eventually) in English (because more Michelle Ruff is never a bad thing!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
Theres THREE titles for the story if you count the light novel which is The VANISHING of Haruhi Suzumiya.
samuelp wrote:
I'll back him up on this: The title that appears in the movie itself is "The Disappearance" and it does so in english by itself (as in, not a "translation" of Japanese text next to it).

I take your words and have the main title changed. With a similar example a while ago, I'd say editors handling translation and international distribution at Kadokawa really need tighter coordination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3