• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: 2nd Unaired Bakemonogatari Episode Next Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

There isn't anything to retort. You need to provide some sort of example to your claim. Otherwise it's just vague and not worth responding to.

You were the one asserted that its success was due to its pandering, without providing any evidence to support it.

Quote:

From the first second with Hanekawa's panty flash to the ending scene of the TV series with spoiler[nerd-wish fulfillment of Koyomi and Hitagi's date], it pandered quite extensively.

You consider Bakemonogatari to have a exceptional amount of pandering/fan service compared to summer/fall shows like Princess Lover, Juuden-chan, Kampfer, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Purezza, Sora no Otoshimono, and Queen's Blade? All together I don't think they amount to even a third of Bakemonogatari's sales, if that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Pandering is not synonymous for ecchi.

EDIT: To elaborate, you first have Hitagi who is a total ice queen to begin with, only to become a tsundere after Koyomi helps her with her weight. You have an elementary school student Mayoi getting fondled not just once but twice. Then there's the raging lesbian Kanbaru followed by the loli swimsuit wearing Nadeko, and top it all off with glasses girl Hanekawa.

I didn't watch a single show of the ones you listed because they're all filled with ecchi, and I am not a fan of that.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait until this series comes out here. Hopefully on Blu Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
you first have Hitagi who is a total ice queen to begin with, only to become a tsundere after Koyomi helps her with her weight.

What is that weight, and why does it matter? Why is it most assuredly NOT Koyomi who helps her with her "weight"? Seems like you missed the story for the fan service.

I think hissatsu01's point was important... If Otaku want fan service, it's much easier to find it elsewhere. More of it too. Neither the show, nor manga is as much about that, as the story it is telling. YYMV, of course.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Which is why my first comment was pandering is not synonymous with ecchi.

Heck, one show that repeatedly gets called out for pandering is K-ON! and it features absolutely zilch fanservice, let alone ecchi.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, it's good the ball is rolling again on this show.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Which is why my first comment was pandering is not synonymous with ecchi.

Heck, one show that repeatedly gets called out for pandering is K-ON! and it features absolutely zilch fanservice, let alone ecchi.

Whether pandering in the form of moe-blobs (like K-ON!, or in Bakemonogatari, Nadeko) or wish fulfillment (as you label Bakemonogatari's date episode), I still fail to see how Bakemonogatari is so egregious in its use of pandering/fan service compared to other shows. You can get more of any of those things in other shows. If Bakemonogatari's blockbuster sales are due to pandering, then why don't other pandering shows share its success? K-ON! is the only one that comes anywhere near it. Most of the others have average to poor sales. If anything, the sales figures argue against your point - pandering and fan service are not enough to make a hit, certainly not one of Bakemonogatari's magnitude.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, better late then never at this point
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It didn't have any naked loli characters and had a few touching scenes and an awesome battle.

Hmm, at least her boobies are bigger than a certain 25-year-old girl I know. Regardless, that "naked loli character" arc was the most sold so far.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I never said I didn't like Bakemonogatari. I loved the Suruga Monkey arc. It didn't have any naked loli characters and had a few touching scenes and an awesome battle. It's just the rest of the series that I didn't care for. Though maybe Tsubasa Cat will be better.

"Oh noes! I can't look like teh pedos!"
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
It didn't have any naked loli characters and had a few touching scenes and an awesome battle.

Regardless, that "naked loli character" arc was the most sold so far.

Amazingly it was also the arc containing episode 10 where half the animation was "cut due to circumstances".
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Shinobi has won my heart.

Looking forward to the next episode but god this is taking awhile.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Just look at the BluRay cover with Shinobu. A picture is worth a thousand words.

That's not much of retort. If Bakemonogatari's pandering/fan service are what has made it so successful, why are shows with far more of those elements not even remotely as successful? You're making a weak argument.

There isn't anything to retort. You need to provide some sort of example to your claim. Otherwise it's just vague and not worth responding to.

From the first second with Hanekawa's panty flash to the ending scene of the TV series with spoiler[nerd-wish fulfillment of Koyomi and Hitagi's date], it pandered quite extensively.

Yeah, there's no way the amazing dialogue and well fleshed-out characters could have ANYTHING to do with its success. It's clearly just fanservice. Here's an excerpt from a discussion I had about that "panty flash" scene:

"Maybe I've misunderstood the definition of fanservice, but I assumed it was something who's explicit purpose was to, as you said, titillate the viewer. That did not seem to be the main point of that scene to me. As others have pointed out, there were several reasons that scene was done the way it was. spoiler[We have Hitagi's lack of emotion (embarrassment/awkwardness in this case at being naked/barely clothed in front of a male) emphasized, along with how she's seemingly unaffected by being almost raped earlier in her life (she's very comfortable in front of a male like that). It also demonstrates her complete domination of Araragi. This goes beyond simply verbally assaulting him. She is able to push every button on him at will. This sexual control is something much more basic and powerful than that back-and-forth stuff we'd seen before. The uncomfortableness with clothes (perhaps the "forgetting" to dry her hair) reminds us of her abnormality. How do you convey that someone's weightless? It's hard; it doesn't change the way she looks, and it certainly doesn't change the way she sounds. Instead, you do something like this. The idea that clothing could be that heavy is something so alien and foreign to us that it really shows how strange and uncomfortable her state is.]"

"The scene, to me, had much more importance that "lawl BOOBIES," and I honestly don't feel that it would have had as powerful an effect had it not gone the way it did. Yes, Hitagi's attractive; yes, she's naked/in underwear for the scene. Yes, that is arousing for most male viewers, but, no, that's not the point of the scene."

Anyways, I'm really psyched about episode 14. I'll probably marathon the whole series again before watching it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
This is good news, I am looking forward to seeing the next episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
While I sympathize with those who are arguing with Megiddo re: pandering in Bakemonogatari, it should be obvious that his/her mind is closed on the subject. Those of us who like the show understand the real reason the show is so popular, but you are never going to convince a person who isn't willing to concede that there just *might* be something else going in the series besides so-called pandering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3