• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Poor Maj. Armstrong and Poor May!

One got his butt handed to him by his sister and the other was manipulated by a worm...and the only one with a real excuse is May. She's how old? About 10, or younger? And Envy is how how old? Hundreds.

Just another example of how awesome Olivier is! But, then again, she knew Alex would never go all out on her. It's not in his nature. Did he even try to use alchemy against her?

I've been wondering how old May is supposed to be...She's very confident and independent for a 10 year old, so I suspect she's older, but like her panda, doesn't show her age. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I've been wondering how old May is supposed to be...She's very confident and independent for a 10 year old, so I suspect she's older, but like her panda, doesn't show her age. Wink

You made me curious and I checked Wiki and MAL...neither listed her age. But if she is 10 and Al 14, that's a good age spread...as least when they're older that is! Wink Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

You made me curious and I checked Wiki and MAL...neither listed her age. But if she is 10 and Al 14, that's a good age spread...as least when they're older that is! Wink Laughing

12 or 13 would be just as good, and 10 is a little too young to be off on your own saving your kingdom, and crushing on guys in huge suits of armor...

Another thing that bothers me about May...she's Ling's half-sister, right? Why is that never acknowledged?
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Another thing that bothers me about May...she's Ling's half-sister, right? Why is that never acknowledged?
Isn't it because since they're from rivals clans they don't want to even want to talk about that fact? There's a great deal of animosity between clans because they have curry favor from the king to be relevant, so I don't think they necessarily want to acknowledge familial ties.

I guess they could have made a joke about it. Ling: "Yeah, she's my sister". Ed & Al (while in chibi mode): "WHAT?!!?!" But there's enough of that already....

And wow. I had forgotten that I had made this thread. I put FMA aside since I wanted finish reading the manga first before finishing Brotherhood, since it was the very first manga I ever read, but Viz hasn't even solicited the final volume yet. Looks like the index is in dire need of an update.... I'll get around to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
Concerning episode 47:

spoiler[Lan Fan is back, and with a new (automail) arm, too!] 'Bout time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Isn't it because since they're from rivals clans they don't want to even want to talk about that fact? There's a great deal of animosity between clans because they have curry favor from the king to be relevant, so I don't think they necessarily want to acknowledge familial ties

They may be half brother/half sister but it's not like they grew up together and played as children. I don't remember the exact number but I think it's somewhere in the vicinity of 40 children that the emperor of Xing has. Both Ling and May have mentioned that whomever is named successor is the one whose clan will survive, because, in all honesty, what emperor wants a bunch of angry semi-relatives out there who all want to take the throne from them?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning episode 47:

spoiler[Lan Fan is back, and with a new (automail) arm, too!] 'Bout time.

Yeah, it was good to see her however briefly.

Grumman may be a sneaky bastard but he's not that much different from many of the other higher ups in Central.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been lovin' Brotherhood, and I'm lovin' that spoiler[Lan Fan] is back!

I've said I like Brotherhood because it does much less self-examination than the original FMA, and I think it's all because of the Shin alliance and the Briggs soldiers. Because they have more characters to draw upon, Brotherhood's creators could afford to leave spoiler[Rose] as a minor character -- as it should be.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Grumman may be a sneaky bastard but he's not that much different from many of the other higher ups in Central.

He's not interested in immortality, or the Philosopher's stone. That's different.

That said, I knew he was a sly, tricky old fox but I honestly wasn't expecting him quite that cunning and manipulative. spoiler[Setting up a scenario for Mustang and Bradley's crew to off each other for the explicit purpose so he can rise to power? Sneaky.] And special points go to Miles for being the only person to really see through Grumman's magnificence.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Just finished episode 39 'Daydream' and I have a little question.

spoiler[If Jurso and Zampano can assume their human forms at will, why are they so desperate to get their original bodies back; specifically citing how their families could never accept their new, monstrous forms?]
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself.
I'm not sure you have to use spoiler tags since the show has aired completely on Adult Swim multiple times.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Maybe they are afraid that something will trigger the transformation. There would also be potential risks of them being used in the military again, despite the whole renovation process going on. Being fully human, they would never risk being drawn into action again on the same grounds.

Or maybe a traumatised family member saw them, and they assumed they would not like to come home without 'normal' bodies?

It might also be just a psychological comfort, self respect, I don't know, just like Ed wanting his arm and leg back, despite functioning really well with the auto-mail (I know Al was a bit different in this respect)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
You're not thinking genetically; All because they look human doesn't mean they are human.

Why would the guys, youngish guys at that, with families, want to become fully human while the older military guys are ok with their new form as they joined the circus as manimals with Yoki?

In this series, even alchemical ability can be passed to progeny {magic and mutants, who knew?} so who knows what would happen with chimeras...

Getting the picture yet? It's their ... animal instincts! Yeah, those kind.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Or maybe a traumatised family member saw them, and they assumed they would not like to come home without 'normal' bodies?

They had said that the military told their families they were dead, so I'm guessing the families don't know about their beastly sides (let alone that they're even still alive in one form or another).

I can sort of understand the psychological issue, but as far as Ed and Al go, Ed is missing limbs and Al is missing his whole body; so even though they're fully functioning, they're still missing pieces of their true selves. Jurso and Zampano, however, can conjure up their human forms fully intact. Perhaps just the mere thought of their monstrous forms dwelling inside them does have some sort of psychological effect though.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

They had said that the military told their families they were dead, so I'm guessing the families don't know about their beastly sides (let alone that they're even still alive in one form or another).

I can sort of understand the psychological issue, but as far as Ed and Al go, Ed is missing limbs and Al is missing his whole body; so even though they're fully functioning, they're still missing pieces of their true selves. Jurso and Zampano, however, can conjure up their human forms fully intact. Perhaps just the mere thought of their monstrous forms dwelling inside them does have some sort of psychological effect though.

Yeah I forgot them being dead to their families... But in that case, them turning up would be even stranger... I do believe it's more psychological though; if they come back, they want to come back the way they left, without the risk of being exposed by accident.

Al is missing his body, but Ed could probably do fine with his automail, like loads of other people who lost limbs and had them replaced (f.ex. Buccaneer and his crazy automails). But he did want to get back something that was his, and I suppose the chimeras wanted the same, a normal body that would not transform into something that would give their families a heart attack. Or being pulled back into military for examinations/experiments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28