• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Premieres on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Bah, what's wrong with me. I didn't care for this remake either, what I saw of it, but I'll tune in for the dub tonight, fer sure. (Now that anime has become a venue for fiscal opportunities in several places, my parents will actually let me watch it! Yay, not having to watch in secret for once in my life! Very Happy) I hope it's better than the last dub! ...Not that the last dub was bad, no, I thought it was excellent, but like the EVA remake, I hope this one is even better and more polished. I do look forward to seeing parts of the manga I hadn't seen animated, (I couldn't get that far in Brotherhood, I was so disappointed with what I was watching,) but I'm not expecting any directorial finesse, I'm just excited to hear and see manga events and characters...sad ain't it? I'm such a fangirl.

vashfanatic wrote:
Riks wrote:
Then again, I usually don't like it when female seiyuu play male characters because I can always tell it's a woman doing the voice, and for some reason (perhaps unreasonably so) it removes me a bit from the anime.

What, and having a thick low voice on a character that young doesn't remove you a bit from the series? Every time Ed speaks in the dub, I hear a middle-aged guy talking out of a teenager's mouth and it totally freaks me out. I guess it all comes down to a matter taste, but I don't understand the love for Vic Mignogna in this specific role at all.

I think because there is such an age gap it's going to be a personal preference thing and I can't blame people who can't listen to it. Personally, that was the first role I ever heard Vic in, and it didn't faze me. I could tell he was an adult, but I knew most voice actors for these parts...pretty much ALL of them, were grown men. No one whines about Justin Cook, I've noticed, but he plays teens all the time (and does a dang fine job with it.) The only time it pulled me out of the experience and I couldn't suspend disbelief was when he was playing six year old Edward or whatever, but thankfully that didn't happen often.

For the most part, though, I couldn't think about the timbre of his voice because his acting was so spot-on. I like Romi Paku too, but that doesn't mean I can't admit that he owned the role just as much. One of the reasons I like him is that he's one of those few voice actors that sounds like he REALLY believes in his character and just gets lost in it completely...even if that character is a mass murderer or something. Either way, he sounded like he really WAS Ed, instead of "a guy with a spunky/angsty affectation in his voice." I mean, yeah he does a lot of yelling and angsty whispering, aka episodes 7 and 8, but it was still good committed stuff. If you want nuance and restraint instead, some of his lines in the series finale and the movie were chilling, as in literal goosebumps. Of course, he tells the fans that he cried during all that so I bet THAT was part of it, ne? Laughing (Except you can't act if you're REALLY crying, so he probably dried up and then held onto the emotion.) Long story short, he owns that role and I don't care how old he is, I'm glad he cares so much about the character and can act the part.

By the way, who do you suppose Aaron Dismuke will be cast as? The easy answer is Lin from Xing, but maybe not? I don't really know much about Dismuke's acting range, but that's a more difficult part, so I'll be interested to see if he plays that one. I didn't watch that far, so I don't know how the seiyuu were handled in terms of spoiler[Greed's voice, or Greed as Lin,] and if the dub cast will follow that route. By the way, Chris Patton as Greed will be a very welcome return too, however spoiler[extremely short-lived it will be, considering the manga.] On the note of Maxey Whitehead, I've heard her in enough that I'm not the least bit worried or even curious as to "what it will sound like." It'll sound just like the old Al, and her acting will be superb. The end. Very Happy
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If they air one episode every week with breaks to let funi dub more episodes; when will it eclipse viz's manga? I have not watched this because I am collecting the manga and I do not want to see spoilers.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
DVR users beware! Make sure you check your settings to ensure this will record for you... My preview guide doesn't have ":Brotherhood" noted, it's just listed as "Full Metal Alchemist". It doesn't carry the "NEW" marker for a first-run show either, I have TWC so hopefully that's not a problem on other cable/satellite providers...
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
What, and having a thick low voice on a character that young doesn't remove you a bit from the series? Every time Ed speaks in the dub, I hear a middle-aged guy talking out of a teenager's mouth and it totally freaks me out. I guess it all comes down to a matter taste, but I don't understand the love for Vic Mignogna in this specific role at all.

Honestly, I've never thought of Vic's own natural speaking voice as "thick and low". If anything he's got a pretty high voice and he goes up a little higher for Ed, especially when yelling which I think works very well. And really, there are a lot of teens out there with deep voices, I don't know why that would count against Ed (but again, I don't think he's been given a deep voice).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mckg1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I am so going to check this out at 11pm (MN is an hour earlier!) can't wait to see how AL sounds..
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
fusion duelist wrote:
If they air one episode every week with breaks to let funi dub more episodes; when will it eclipse viz's manga? I have not watched this because I am collecting the manga and I do not want to see spoilers.
I'm not sure if it will ever. Vol 25 or vol 26 should be the end and if it really takes 63 weeks to air it, Viz would be releasing the final volume just around when the anime finishes airing on [as].
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
DVR users beware! Make sure you check your settings to ensure this will record for you... My preview guide doesn't have ":Brotherhood" noted, it's just listed as "Full Metal Alchemist". It doesn't carry the "NEW" marker for a first-run show either, I have TWC so hopefully that's not a problem on other cable/satellite providers...
I noticed that a few moments ago when I went to set it up to record (I have TWC as well). But as long as they don't mess around with the schedule like crazy, I won't have a problem with it (unlike what I had with Code Geass x.X).

Anyway, looking forward to the dub. Hopefully it'll be every bit as great as the first series' dub (to this day, I still can't watch that one subbed; it just doesn't sound right to me). ^^
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

By the way, who do you suppose Aaron Dismuke will be cast as? The easy answer is Lin from Xing, but maybe not? I don't really know much about Dismuke's acting range, but that's a more difficult part, so I'll be interested to see if he plays that one. I didn't watch that far, so I don't know how the seiyuu were handled in terms of spoiler[Greed's voice, or Greed as Lin,] and if the dub cast will follow that route. By the way, Chris Patton as Greed will be a very welcome return too, however spoiler[extremely short-lived it will be, considering the manga.] On the note of Maxey Whitehead, I've heard her in enough that I'm not the least bit worried or even curious as to "what it will sound like." It'll sound just like the old Al, and her acting will be superb. The end. Very Happy

In the Japanese version, when spoiler[Lin gets turned into Greed, his voice reverts to Greed's original VA] so the same will probably happen in the english dub.
p3rseus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad this version didn't measure up to the original anime. Apart from a very few selected episodes, it has been quite lacking in comparison to its anime predecessor. Hope it does well either way.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:

In the Japanese version, when spoiler[Lin gets turned into Greed, his voice reverts to Greed's original VA] so the same will probably happen in the english dub.

Oh. HOORAY! More Chris Patton action! Anime smile (Can't help but fangirl sometimes, heh.)
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They're sure promoting the hell out of this, what with the one commercial you never see and no sign on the AS website other than the schedule.

I guess I wouldn't advertise Vic Mignogna's dry whispering too much, either.

Vic has an amazing voice, and is excellent as Edward Elric, MUCH better than Romi Park. However, I will agree that AS really fucked up at promoting this. I mean, my Cable Guide simply lists it as "Fullmetal Alchemist", minus the "Brotherhood." If weren't for the miracle of the web, I wouldn't know that it was coming on -_-. Still: this is going to be great, and I look forward to seeing the other two anime that Adult Swim claims to have licensed (fingers are crossed for "Soul Eater" and final season of "Inuyasha")
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
The fact that so many people seem unable to understand this is just boggling to me. I can understand disliking the differences in approach. I can understand preferring one form of the story over another. That's all fine. Those are subjective reasons and opinions. But this reasoning that Brotherhood is evil because it's just a "remake" the first anime as an "alternate" version and a cash-in literally makes no sense whatsoever based on any informed and objective analysis of the situation and is, factually speaking, about as far from the actual truth of the matter as humanly possible.

Still has nothing on the old "Lupin III ripped off of Cowboy Bebop" arguement... Rolling Eyes

I never liked the first FMA, but I've found the second series to be much better, more controlled, and better-flowing. I was hoping FUNimation would make the same cast changes like the Japanese version did, but I wasn't surprised by their decision. I hope it at least turns out good and doesn't overdo it on the comedy and melodramatic scenes (although FMA: B is--thankfully--lighter on that than its predecessor). I'm probably anticipating Maxey Whitehead's performance the most (I'd say Bryan Massey's too, but it's a minor role).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Still excited about tonight! Brotherhood is going to be epic.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Eh, aside from the music(I'm an OST nut), Brotherhood dissapointed me almost from the get-go. It just doesn't have the directorial spark of the original, the drama and character moments feel flat and truncated because those first dozen or so episodes feel like FMA cliff notes on speed, moments that punched to the gut before are even played for laughs in some cases, and most of all, it's just boring.

But that said, I'll still probably keep up with the dub just out of curiousity and, being part of a weekly schedule, keeping track won't be too big of a time-sink while I stream my current backlog(Mitchiko to Hatchin, Mononoke, etc.) Like Moribito, I can see having it on in the background while playing or writing, but won't be paying it much mind till it gets to the manga portions.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see anime getting back on television, since it reaches such a different audience than the anime licensees are normally able to market to. So it's pretty disappointing to hear that there's not much of a push for Brotherhood.

But here's an idea: The main problem with putting Brotherhood into the mainstream is that the first dozen episodes basically recap the first half of the original series. This could lead to Joe adult-swim-watcher dropping it after a couple of episodes because he thinks he's already seen it.

So maybe FUNi and [as] are going to hold off the big marketing push until after Brotherhood has gotten past that hump - this way, viewers will (hopefully) be hooked by the new materiel.

Or, on the other hand, maybe adult swim just doesn't care about anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8