• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Premieres on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The first anime series made no sense half the time

Dante's goal was spoiler[to gain another philosopher's stone which is easy as hell. In the manga, they pratically mass produce philosopher's stones. You rip out a guy's soul and condense it into a stone. In the first anime I guess your rip out a guy's soul and put into red water.

The reason Lab 5 was next to a prison was because when a bunch of prisoners where to be executed they would actually take them to Lab 5 and turn them into Philosopher's Stones.

Her whole plan was that she would cause discord and tragedy which would presumably cause one person to make a philosopher's stone. How the fudge where they supposed to know how to make one I have no idea. In the manga Father told Marcoh, and Marcoh tells Ed.

Hell since she should know how to make one she could order someone to make one like Father did with Marcoh. In fact if Marcoh didn't make Philosopher's stones how the hell did he get his hands on two. How did he know how to make Philosopher's stones?

Also if she destroyed Ishval so that an ishvalan would make one why the did she use Philosopher's stones in the war?

Also for an artifact she needs she sure as hell is giving Philosopher's stones out regulary.

Do I even need to mention how the way the Gate works changes?

]

The first Fullmetal Alchemist series is only considered a masterpiece because people haven't read the manga yet

I've read the manga extensively, collected every volume, read the new chapters as they become available, and so do a lot of fans of the first series.

We've been through this before. You didn't seem to be paying that close attention to the show.

spoiler[In the first series there are lesser Philosopher Stones, the small ones that feed the homunculi, which Dante had no interest in. She wanted a huge one that would last a lot longer, and she used the homunculi to manipulate alchemists who were capable of it to make them while pushing away any who weren't determined. Any real determined alchemists would have eventually stumbled on the truth. Dante targeted the Elric brothers specifically because she thought Hohenheim's sons would be more capable than others.

Yes, there were the other little stones, but this was a case of spending money to make money.]

There's plenty of nonsense in the manga/second series, like spoiler[Father making a new Greed and Arakawa bringing back Envy to wrap up a loose end that really didn't need tying up. Oh, and Roy being inconsistently powerful. Not to mention all this "eating god" stuff from the most recent chapter.]

Every time we argue about this, it's to a standstill. Let's not plague this thread with that.

Personally, I love all the incarnations of FMA.

On a different note, it's not that I absolutely loathe the FMA dub. It's a tolerable one. But I was expecting amazing and didn't feel I got it. The Japanese cast all shined brilliantly in their roles.

I disliked Chris Patton's Greed even more than Vic Mignogna's Edward. He sucks all the personality out of the character, and that annoyed me, because Greed's my favorite character, and both Japanese VAs have brought such life to him. At least with Vic, it sounds like he's trying. Patton totally phoned it in.

With no Lyra/spoiler[Dante] in this series, I wonder if there's a role for Monica Rial. Now there's a VA I'd want to hear again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With no Lyra in this series, I wonder if there's a role for Monica Rial. Now there's a VA I'd want to hear again.

How about General Armstrong? Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
With no Lyra in this series, I wonder if there's a role for Monica Rial. Now there's a VA I'd want to hear again.

Monica Rial as Olivier Mira Armstrong? Hmmm.

Yes. Yes, that would work, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I've read the manga extensively, collected every volume, read the new chapters as they become available, and so do a lot of fans of the first series.

We've been through this before. You didn't seem to be paying that close attention to the show.

spoiler[In the first series there are lesser Philosopher Stones, the small ones that feed the homunculi, which Dante had no interest in. She wanted a huge one that would last a lot longer, and she used the homunculi to manipulate alchemists who were capable of it to make them while pushing away any who weren't determined. Any real determined alchemists would have eventually stumbled on the truth. Dante targeted the Elric brothers specifically because she thought Hohenheim's sons would be more capable than others.

Yes, there were the other little stones, but this was a case of spending money to make money.]

There's plenty of nonsense in the manga/second series, like spoiler[Father making a new Greed and Arakawa bringing back Envy to wrap up a loose end that really didn't need tying up. Oh, and Roy being inconsistently powerful. Not to mention all this "eating god" stuff from the most recent chapter.]

Every time we argue about this, it's to a standstill. Let's not plague this thread with that.

Personally, I love all the incarnations of FMA.

On a different note, it's not that I absolutely loathe the FMA dub. It's a tolerable one. But I was expecting amazing and didn't feel I got it. The Japanese cast all shined brilliantly in their roles.

I disliked Chris Patton's Greed even more than Vic Mignogna's Edward. He sucks all the personality out of the character, and that annoyed me, because Greed's my favorite character, and both Japanese VAs have brought such life to him. At least with Vic, it sounds like he's trying. Patton totally phoned it in.

With no Lyra/spoiler[Dante] in this series, I wonder if there's a role for Monica Rial. Now there's a VA I'd want to hear again.

Dante should have easily have been able to make a spoiler[stone that rivaled the one that Hohenheim's master made in the manga, actually even larger I am sure Amestris is much more heavily populated than Xerxes. She had control of an army, she had a massive amount of alchemist at her control, she didn't use the army very well, and she barely used the Alchemist at all only using them with the army.
]

As for the claim that the FMA manga has problems, Envy's story made perfect sense, you just didn't like how it was handled, and Father's main problem is his ego and he thought he could handle Greed.

Also if you want to argue ridiculous plotlines

Two words: The Archernator
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:

Monica Rial as Olivier Mira Armstrong? Hmmm.

Yes. Yes, that would work, I think.

I'm VERY interested in seeing who will be playing General Armstrong. However I don't think its a role that fits Monica Rial, but we will see.

On a similar note does anyone know if Funimation will be announcing anymore dub cast members or do we just have to wait for them to appear?

Last edited by Oneeyedjacks on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight, the first series was an alternate continuity where the characters don't necessarily have the same background. You're trying too hard to apply material in the manga that came after the first series ended to the first series.

As for Robo-Archer, it was a creative flourish that was executed poorly, but hardly a damning element. I prefer that to random chimeras I couldn't care less about or most of the Xingese characters. At least they don't pretend Archer-bot's that important.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

You.. gat to be kidding me.. Confused

She was, by far, the worst of all the other voice casting dub.. Her voice didn't fit the character at all! Confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9HxFLhIec

By the way, you once said that the end of EP 26 (When spoiler[Ed promise to come back for Al's body]) in Brotherhood was the best of both shows.. but i think that spoiler[Ed's death] was even more shocking to me when it happened.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9HxFLhIec

O.K. The vid.. Not a very good example..
But she was very bad in other parts..
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight, the first series was an alternate continuity where the characters don't necessarily have the same background. You're trying too hard to apply material in the manga that came after the first series ended to the first series.

As for Robo-Archer, it was a creative flourish that was executed poorly, but hardly a damning element. I prefer that to random chimeras I couldn't care less about or most of the Xingese characters. At least they don't pretend Archer-bot's that important.

Trigun holds up well against Trigun Maximum so why shouldn't FMA. Saying that the FMA anime is a masterpiece because you ignore what happens later in the FMA manga is absurd. There is no excuse for Dante's incompetence, and calling a Archer a creative flourish that was executed poorly is an understatement.

To be fair to Mizushima he was working with a series where everyone is important, and everything wraps up so he had to do something with a bun ch of plot points and characters he couldn't use and didn't need.

Personally I think what Mizushima did was pretty good, especially when compared to utter crap like the various Negima tv series, and the Hellsing tv series. I just don't think his work is a masterpiece his always has some fatal flaw, and usually it's that the villain are really underwhelming.

His not a horrible director but his only a competent Director and not someone on say Miyazaki or Tomino's level.
ghettoninja23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I respect all your opinions, but if you're up-to-date with the Brotherhood and still think that the first series is better, then I LOL in your direction Laughing
Vekou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I would not classify FMA as "dark fantasy." While there are elements of horror, they are fleeting. The pervasive and stupid comedic antics completely destroy any sense of darkness or horror - and it's even worse in Brotherhood than in the first anime. That is my only problem with this franchise, but it is a big one because those supposedly funny gag moments happen all the [expletive] time.

That said, this is still a pretty good show; if you liked the first one, you should like this even more once it shifts into "new" territory around episode 13-14. Until that point it's kind of a waste of time, but don't get frustrated and give up before then.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight, the first series is a masterpiece in its own rights, albeit a flawed one. The difference is that you see the flaws as more of a problem than I do and seem more willing to forgive flaws in the manga simply because they're from the original manga.

We can argue for pages about whether Dante is an incompetent villain or not, but clearly it's not getting us anywhere.

I do agree with your assessment of Mizushima as a director, however. I've never said that he's a great director. Gundam 00 is proof enough of that (not that I disliked it, but it wasn't great). He's an adequate director, and he's clearly not a good a story teller as Hiromu Arakawa is, but the first series has enough to compensate for that for me, but obviously not for you.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
amarielah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I respect all your opinions, but if you're up-to-date with the Brotherhood and still think that the first series is better, then I LOL in your direction

That's not respecting other people's opinions. It's belittling them. So...good for you?

And I can say with no irony or shame that, yes, I still think that the first series is better in some respects than both the manga and Brotherhood.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
so far so good, but wow the new Alphonse is super quiet. Sounds fine but I do remember the original VA having the really quiet problem early on too so I'm sure it'll improve.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
I am actually surprized how many years have gone by now. I really enjoyed the orginal Full Metal Alchemist season, so I look forward to watching this.

I really enjoy listening to Vic's work, so this should be quite the treat. None the less, I have a feeling this will be as good (maybe better) than the last two seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8