• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Premieres on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
I don't like the new dub Sad Ed sounds alright. But Al sounds to young and Mustang sounds to old.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I don't like the new dub Sad Ed sounds alright. But Al sounds to young and Mustang sounds to old.

well it has been over 4 years since the original so you shouldn't be susprised age has changed Mustang's voice.

Everyone else is still as decent as the original though they should have kept Al's old voice.

At least It's at midnight instead of 1am or 2am like what they did with CG so i'll take that trade off for an eariler timeslot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
HA HA HA HA! I get to watch anime on a NICE TV for once. I'm at my parents' house for the weekend and they went to bed, so I hijacked the HD den-beast and am ready to watch some FMA~ (I will have to keep the volume down, but que sera sera.)

No, "ALONES" (by Aqua Timez) is the opening for canon episodes. Kind of a shame we got a song like that to follow up YUI's amazing "Rolling Star" which was used partially for filler episodes. For me it's the second worst Bleach opening, behind "Shōjo S" by Scandal, I just can't stand that one, or the opening animation for that matter (Bleach does NOT need a dance routine!). Aqua Timez did do a much better job on their second Bleach opening, "Velonica" which is quite decent and accompanied by some really stunning art.

And since everyone else is doing it, some quick impressions of the new(-ish) dub:

Ed - Perfect, Vic hasn't lost his touch.
Al - Sounds like a shy little girl whispering. Some times she sounds like the Al we're used to, but it might take a while to really get there (assuming we ever do).
Mustang - Initial reaction from his first lines was that he is much deeper than before, but he eased back into the roll quickly.
Bradley - Doesn't sound quite as aged as the original run, there's something missing in the way the lines are delivered, he almost sounds younger.
Hawkeye - Seems they're sticking with the deep, sterner voice of old. While that worked with the first series, it might not work here since this Riza is much more easy going, cheerful, and feminine. Curious how the voice will be handled later, it was only one line this time.

The rest were fine by me, though I like how arrogant the Japanese Kimblee is over the brash boisterous English voice. But again, it wasn't a lot of lines so we'll see how it goes later.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mika20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
It's really no surprise to me on how different some of the characters will sound. From watching episode 1, I think all the voices are alright. I knew Al's voice was replaced, but so far I think he sounded good.

I really like it with no problems at all. The show is still awesome and funny.
Everminde

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
Although I'm a huge fan of the first anime, I'm open minded about Brotherhood. If BONES felt strongly enough about the original material to do a retelling, who am I to argue with that logic? Looking forward to it.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow.

The first dub was better than this was. Vic's Ed was actually the best performance here.

And by *This* you mean.. The Japanese?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wow.

The first dub was better than this was. Vic's Ed was actually the best performance here.

Huh? No, I meant the English dub of the first series was better than this episode's English dub.

And since I wasn't a fan of that English dub, that should tell you how I felt about Brotherhood's first episode English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
kpk wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wow.

Huh? No, I meant the English dub of the first series was better than this episode's English dub.

And since I wasn't a fan of that English dub, that should tell you how I felt about Brotherhood's first episode English dub.

Oh.. oops! I didn't understand it right Laughing
And.. really? That bad? Shocked
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
O.K. I just saw it.. and.. It was not good Shocked

But.. You know, I love Romi Paku as Ed, but there are times when she's really.. over-acting. With the anger Ed always have and all the "AKKKKKKKKKKKAAKKKK" she's doing with her mouth.. Confused

Vic is terrible, but his Ed at least have some sort of subtlety into it..
michelous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
i think it will take time for me to get used to the new dub
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
I thought Issac sounded a little off, but Al's new VA sounds like she's trying her very best. I'll give her a few more episodes before my final verdict. Anime hyper I already thought she sounded pretty good.

As for cutting op and end. No. Time purposes or not, you don't DO that. Anime hyper "Again" was what I was looking forward to the most. Hm. That means they'll probably cut the other ops and stuff, too. Which is a damn shame.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
First off, Vic Mignogna and Travis Willingham are owning their returning roles as Edward and Mustang from the first series, it's almost as if they never left those characters. It's awesome to see the return of Ed's short rants. Sonny Strait once again did a great job as Maes Hughs, but only when the character was being serious. To be honest, he just sounded awkward in the comedy relief, but I'm gonna blame the episode itself, since it made me roll my eyes in Japanese, too.

Returning characters that still don't seem to be in character yet would have to be Eric Vale as Kimblee and Chris Sabat as Armstrong. Eric Vale is usually perfect in every role he's in, but this just seemed off. He seemed to be playing Kimblee differently than he did the first time around, and I'm not liking it. He needs to get back into the groove of Kimblee before he becomes a central character later in the series. Chris Sabat is wonderful to hear back in th campiness that is Armstrong, but this first episode almost sounded like he was the announcer, just announcing the full names of all the returning characters. "Go get him, Elric brothers." "The flame alchemist, Roy Mustang." Yadda yadda, sounded horrible. Hopefully he'll get back in the groove as well.

Now for the biggie. Alphonse. Since Aaron Dismuke got too old to return to the role, he was replaced by Maxey Whitehead, a woman... and sadly, even though it's a young character, I can tell it's a girl. Maybe I just miss Aaron in the role, but it just sounded off. Maybe Maxey's voice will have to grow on me, but usually if a dub voice has to grow on me, it's not a good voice. :/

Overall, the episode itself was actually bad, but I thought the same when I first saw it in japanese, so I'm just reviewing the dub voices. All the returning VAs are excellent in their roles with exception to Vale and Sabat, and the new voices need work. Personally I can't wait to hear J Micheal Tatum as Scar, since he's one of my favorites ever since I heard him in the awesome Spice and Wolf dub (and after meeting him at a con Anime smile). I'm taking the wait and see approach, but since all the cast is back in the saddles, I'm fairly confident this will turn out well.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The only voice that really sounded off to me was Maes Hughes, and that was only at times.

Perhaps my memory is foggy, but I don't remember Sonny's Hughes voice sounding so much like his Usopp/Krillin voice. But as was mentioned once before in this topic he was good during serious moments. (This is important to me because I think that his Hughes voice would fit Sogeking in One Piece sooo well!)
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
No ones mentioned Ed Blaylock yet. That guy's awesome as Fuhrer King Bradley. I'd say he's easily one of the best voices in the dub.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I must say, the English dub was awesome! Maxey Whitehead did quite a nice job as Al; there were times when I thought it was good ol' Aaron again. Vic, as usual, did just as well as he did when he first played Edward. Travis, Sonny, Colleen--they did amazing jobs as well. Though Kimblee (Eric Vale) sounded a little off, at least he wasn't horrible at it.

The one thing that I didn't like was that the cut the opening & endings. LAME. D<

Other than that, FUNimation gets my stamp of approval for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. 8D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8