• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Premieres on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
I must say, the English dub was awesome! Maxey Whitehead did quite a nice job as Al; there were times when I thought it was good ol' Aaron again. Vic, as usual, did just as well as he did when he first played Edward. Travis, Sonny, Colleen--they did amazing jobs as well. Though Kimblee (Eric Vale) sounded a little off, at least he wasn't horrible at it.

The one thing that I didn't like was that the cut the opening & endings. LAME. D<

Other than that, FUNimation gets my stamp of approval for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. 8D

Here Here!

I liked it. The Dub was a tad rough in spots, but smoothed over well as the old VA's settled back into the *feel* of their roles. And the new Al, Maxey Whitehead, did a wonderful job. Kudos. As did Vic. From his first "little" rant, I was smillin'. It was like the years between series melted away.

I for one hope lightning strikes twice with FMA B. The industry could use a big hit, like the first alt. telling of FMA was. Yes, FMA B is *technically* the original as it's directly from the manga, it's not a rehash, remix, or reboot. It's the original. Regardless, Fandom could always use some new blood (and their money).

From what I saw, I'm confident it will do well.

The only thing I could see detracting from it would be the old fans, railing, ranting or bad mouthing the new series vs. the old series. I say: QUIT COMPLAINING! Enjoy it. Don't ruin it for the new kids.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
No ones mentioned Ed Blaylock yet. That guy's awesome as Fuhrer King Bradley. I'd say he's easily one of the best voices in the dub.

I mentioned it. Sounds kinda off to me. He wasn't doing the voice with as much age as he was in the first series, particularly in the movie. He is awesome as Bradley, but to me he didn't sound like he was giving his best effort in this dub.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mimori Kiryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I loved this dub. <3 I was in love with the first series and this one was still great too. Vic, Travis, Sonny, Chris - they all fell right back into the old groove again with their old parts. I didn't really like Issac (Bryan Massey) very much. :/ He seemed like he was holding back. HOWEVER, I was completely blown over how awesome Al's new voice was (Maxey Whitehead). I had heard her perform already in Romeo x Juliet as Antonio and she's still amazing. Very Happy She won me over on this voice. Eric Vale did fine as Kimbley but I'm going to have to see it in action before I make a final decision on that.

Overall, I am in love with this series and will continue to love it. I hate that [adult swim] cut the opening and endings for the time span but oh well. I'll listen and love when I get the DVDs. <3
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
No ones mentioned Ed Blaylock yet. That guy's awesome as Fuhrer King Bradley. I'd say he's easily one of the best voices in the dub.

I mentioned it. Sounds kinda off to me. He wasn't doing the voice with as much age as he was in the first series, particularly in the movie. He is awesome as Bradley, but to me he didn't sound like he was giving his best effort in this dub.

Emerje

But remember Bradley & many other characters aren't the same in the anime as in the manga so if this is being true to the manga, we might be seeing that reflected. I've never really seen Bradley quite as menacing in the manga. He comes off as more a cog in the wheel of his group.
Quote:
Returning characters that still don't seem to be in character yet would have to be Eric Vale as Kimblee and Chris Sabat as Armstrong. Eric Vale is usually perfect in every role he's in, but this just seemed off. He seemed to be playing Kimblee differently than he did the first time around, and I'm not liking it.

Armstrong & Kimblee have been revealed to be a tad different from how they were in the first title. Armstrong's sister is the scary one in that family. Someone else holds Kimblee's leash this time. WHy expect the roles to be played the same when we know other things about them?
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Someone else holds Kimblee's leash this time. WHy expect the roles to be played the same when we know other things about them?

Well, with Eric Vale, he sounded off only as if he was playing it more menacing and crazy, which, to be honest, his character is supposed to be more calm and slick in this version.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I've never really seen Bradley quite as menacing in the manga.

Seems pretty menacing to me.

spoiler[After he takes down Greed, kills his crew, nearly kills Ranfan, easily takes on squadrons of soldiers...

In the first series he... fought Roy. And that's pretty much it.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

The only thing I could see detracting from it would be the old fans, railing, ranting or bad mouthing the new series vs. the old series. I say: QUIT COMPLAINING! Enjoy it. Don't ruin it for the new kids.

I think part of the complaining comes from a fear that the first series will get swept away in the wave of "manga = automatically better" sentiment, which seems like a legitimate concern to me. I count the first series as my all-time favorite, so I'd hate for people to forget about it or deem it bad because it didn't follow the manga as closely.

For me, I'm sticking with my personal promise to give this show a fair shake once it was available in English. I tried with the simulcast, but I just couldn't get into it in Japanese. I'm definitely going to have to get used to the new Al, considering it was very apparent that in the first we had a boy that was about the same age as the character and now we have a young sounding woman.
killua9101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first three episodes of brotherhood when they premiered at katsucon on friday with vic and maxey there. I think the voices were brilliant as always. Vic has always been my favorite voice actor with how he makes Ed sound and feel like a real person instead of the usual dubs by other voice actors where it sounds, weird... with exceptions of course. He actually feels what ed feels, he is a true actor. He age makes no difference to me, he is a brilliant voice actor, thats all there is to it. Maxey did a lot better than thought she would do for what I saw. Travis does a great job, although you cant really tell in the first episode, when roy visits the elrics at winry's house, he sounds as amazing as always. I personally very excited for brotherhood because although the anime was brilliant... the manga makes the anime pale in comparison. the fullmetal alchemist manga is my favorite and will always be.
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
ghettoninja23 wrote:
I respect all your opinions, but if you're up-to-date with the Brotherhood and still think that the first series is better, then I LOL in your direction Laughing

Gonna have to agree with this. Watching the second series makes me appreciate the manga story even more and wonder why they even bothered with the 1st series. Confused

Also, @PenguinTruth....goozfrabah, repeat with me, goozfrabah...its just an anime, its just an anime. Arguing with people incessantly about the merits of the first vs second season (on an internet forum nonetheless) is just silly. Brotherhood has the same cast, the whole famn damily from Funi is doing it that you loved from the 1st, so just try to enjoy yourself my friend. Wink

Last edited by Shirochan88 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I think part of the complaining comes from a fear that the first series will get swept away in the wave of "manga = automatically better" sentiment, which seems like a legitimate concern to me. I count the first series as my all-time favorite, so I'd hate for people to forget about it or deem it bad because it didn't follow the manga as closely.

Don't worry too much. The original FMA anime was very popular (to my knowledge), so I can't really seeing it die here.

Although I personally can't take it seriously anymore. It's sad because I enjoyed it so much the first time I watched it. I had no idea that the storyline was so different from the manga back then, of course.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
That's weird, I'm always reading about how the manga and Brotherhood are soooo much better than the first series.

It sounds like a cop-out, but I enjoy all three incarnations equally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

For me, I'm sticking with my personal promise to give this show a fair shake once it was available in English. I tried with the simulcast, but I just couldn't get into it in Japanese. I'm definitely going to have to get used to the new Al, considering it was very apparent that in the first we had a boy that was about the same age as the character and now we have a young sounding woman.

Ok, I can see that argument.

For me, Better = Better, regardless of whichever it is. However, why must we choose one as being better than the other? Can't both be great, or are we so conditioned to find/single out "the best" that we ignore the "very good?" It's like it's either "The Best" or it's "The Worst," there doesn't seem to be any middle for people, especially fans.

I enjoyed the first series. If I also happen to like the second, then great, I've now got two great anime that I enjoy watching. I guess I don't see the problem as an either or situation. Regardless of where the source material came from, a good story is a good story.

I liked Maxey Whitehead. I think she's going to do Al's character justice.

And I guess I'm also just tickled to see new Anime on the air again. It's a positive step in the right direction.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
I've never really seen Bradley quite as menacing in the manga.

Seems pretty menacing to me.

spoiler[After he takes down Greed, kills his crew, nearly kills Ranfan, easily takes on squadrons of soldiers...

In the first series he... fought Roy. And that's pretty much it.]

Huh? He spoiler[takes down Greed's crew in the first series as well.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

spoiler[No, Archer is in on the raid in the first series instead. Lust and Gluttony kill some of the chimeras themselves. Bradley only kills Martel, and not until much later. And Greed dies in battle with Edward in Dante's mansion.]
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
kpk wrote:

spoiler[No, Archer is in on the raid in the first series instead. Lust and Gluttony kill some of the chimeras themselves. Bradley only kills Martel, and not until much later. And Greed dies in battle with Edward in Dante's mansion.]

Oh, right right..

By the way..

kpk wrote:
O.K. I just saw it.. and.. It was not good Shocked

But.. You know, I love Romi Paku as Ed, but there are times when she's really.. over-acting. With the anger Ed always have and all the "AKKKKKKKKKKKAAKKKK" she's doing with her mouth.. Confused

Vic is terrible, but his Ed at least have some sort of subtlety into it..

kpk wrote:
You once said that the end of EP 26 (When spoiler[Ed promise to come back for Al's body]) in Brotherhood was the best of both shows.. but i think that spoiler[Ed's death] was even more shocking to me when it happened.

Any comment on those?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8