• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Trigun TV Anime Series on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bossyman15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
yes! i saw first 2 episodes at Fanime Con 2009 and i liked it! will pick it up when it comes out!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The biggest reason I'd want a closer adaptation to the manga is to see some of those action scenes from the manga that are difficult to quite make out, but in animation. I'm thinking it would make them a bit clearer.

I'd feel the same way too... except that I've liked neither of the "more faithful" adaptations so far (Hellsing: Ultimate and FMA: Brotherhood), and I worry that one for Trigun would disappoint me the same way. Sad

Anyway, I too have the remix versions and don't have much incentive to buy the series again. But if it keeps one of the first series I ever watched (hence the nickname) alive in the American consciousness, it'll be worth it. Trigun may not be the best series out there as a whole, but it has some truly amazing moments in it that should not be forgotten.

Wait

what?

How the hell can anyone like the Hellsing tv series, more than Hellsing Ultimate?

What did you like more the awful animation, the horrible character designs, or the fact that the plot sucks. To this day I have no idea why the hell the TV series version of Hellsing was erver popular, it an awful show where things blow up.

Are you seriously telling me a show where a vampire in stupid face paint is more awesome than NAZI VAMPIRES who also have a NAZI WEREWOLF IN A KICKASS JACKET!
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
How the hell can anyone like the Hellsing tv series, more than Hellsing Ultimate?

I was also wondering the same about strawberry cake. How in the world would anyone like strawberry cake more than chocolate cake?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

What did you like more the awful animation, the horrible character designs, or the fact that the plot sucks. To this day I have no idea why the hell the TV series version of Hellsing was erver popular, it an awful show where things blow up.

Are you seriously telling me a show where a vampire in stupid face paint is more awesome than NAZI VAMPIRES who also have a NAZI WEREWOLF IN A KICKASS JACKET!

Well, the TV series had better music, at least.

The TV series wasn't so bad. It handled the first part of the story a lot better than the manga did. The manga and Ultimate just sort of sped forward like a freight train through the first act, where the TV series gave it some more room to breathe.

I'll agree that the ending for the TV series was pretty bad, but it's really just bad as an ending. If they had done another season, it would have just been a mediocre mid-show arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Well, the TV series had better music, at least.

The TV series wasn't so bad. It handled the first part of the story a lot better than the manga did. The manga and Ultimate just sort of sped forward like a freight train through the first act, where the TV series gave it some more room to breathe.

I'll agree that the ending for the TV series was pretty bad, but it's really just bad as an ending. If they had done another season, it would have just been a mediocre mid-show arc.

The TV series had different music. I like Ultimate's music better.

Except that the final boss wasn't the Original in the manga. The final boss is an anime orignal entity. So basically, there could be no second season because the first season animation team messed up royally with the manga storyline.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Except that the final boss wasn't the Original. So basically, there could be no second season because the first season animation team messed up royally with the manga storyline.

It didn't look like it was an impassible obstacle. spoiler[They could have just said that Incognito was a creation of the Millennium organization.] It would have been possible to rework the existing canon.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate Ultimate, because I do, but it's not as though the TV series painted itself into an inescapable corner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Except that the final boss wasn't the Original. So basically, there could be no second season because the first season animation team messed up royally with the manga storyline.

It didn't look like it was an impassible obstacle. spoiler[They could have just said that Incognito was a creation of the Millennium organization.] It would have been possible to rework the existing canon.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate Ultimate, because I do, but it's not as though the TV series painted itself into an inescapable corner.

Not even in a hundred thousand years could you get someone to believe that the organization in the manga is going to use an ethnic from where Incognito originated. The TV series painted itself into a corner that it couldn't get out of from where the manga was going.

Like the comment about Trigun on wiki. Trigun couldn't get a second season either because of the way the anime ended. It's an alternate universe title imo.

I actually have Trigun Remix in case you're wondering. I still maintain that if you're going to spend the money, have Madhouse give it the "Ultimate" approach.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Not even in a hundred thousand years could you get someone to believe that the organization in the manga is going to use an ethnic from where Incognito originated.

That's irrelevant. If they were just using him, they could just give a throwaway comment about how somebody from that part of the world is garbage, so they didn't expect much of him.

My point is, good writers could have made it work.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Wait

what?

When did I say that? I didn't. I said that Ultimate was disappointing, but I made no comparison to the original, which was also disappointing. Of course, the manga was disappointing in many ways as well (spoiler[Walter turns evil? Alucard gets defeated by math? The Nazi leader is a bleeping robot?!?!]), but the more faithful adaptation really let me down. I realized, among other things, that I prefer the art to Hellsing in black and white: the strong contrast really works for the series, and none of the scenes in color had as strong an effect on me. I didn't like some of the voice casting decisions. The music was awful. But worst of all - the fatal blow - was their interpretation of the "comedy." I have never found all the little super-deformed "humorous" dream sequences in Hellsing to be even remotely funny. While reading the manga, I could just skip them over and get to the good Nazi-ass-kicking parts, but with the animated version, they were dragged out for long, unbearable minutes. I finally just threw up my hands and decided to stick with the manga, as flawed as the ending was.

Ditto on Fullmetal Alchemist. I like the first version a little better than Brotherhood, but neither of them anywhere near as much as the manga.

So don't put words in my mouth.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Funimation said that their release will be the Remix version. What exactly is the difference between the Remix and the original version of Trigun?

As an owner of the Trigun Remix DVDs the only difference is a little bit of the opening animation in each episode, they show little clips from the episode instead of that bounty hunter shot like on Adult Swim. I'm happy this got rescued, but I have the set already, at least I know that if I ever need another copy it'll be available.

That's not the only difference. Both audio tracks are remixed in 5.1, and the video is remastered so it doesn't have the rainbowing that the original DVDs had.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally! I guess I'll just wait for the box set to come out this fall. I was going to buy the Remix DVDs from Right Stuf's bargain bin, but now that this is happening.

Quote:
Absolutely. Or for folks like myself who, for whatever reason, didn't or weren't able to buy the set until now. Very Happy

I was in the same boat as you. Now I can finally get the whole series in its entirety.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for news like this for quite some time. Cause I've been dreaming about owning the entire Trigun series in one volume volume. Much like what they did for Heat Guy J and a lot of the other 26 episode series previously owned by Geneon. A lot of them I'd like to watch eventually.

Anyways since I'll get a Blu-Ray player soon, I might as well get the BD edition of this series.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
DELETE

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Wait

what?

I prefer the TV series as well. Now to be fair, I've only seen the first 4 episodes of Ultimate so I don't know which I would call better as a whole. Just as I said about Trigun though, in terms of the material that is covered, the TV series does a much better job with it. Yeah, the plot is totally inconclusive and the animation is pretty poor. However, Ultimate has it's own share of problems. The pacing is extremely rushed. As penguintruth said, it doesn't really leave any room to breathe. Also, there's the comedy. I truly can not think of anything more out of place and disruptive. This is the kind of thing that I'd expect to see in a first draft before someone stepped in, gave the writer a smack in the head and told him that A) this wasn't a comedy and B) he wasn't a comedian. Also, while the animation is undoubtedly superior I really don't care for the character designs. They all have this very thick, heavy lined look with really jagged and exaggerated features. The TV series had that too to a slight extent but combined with a much softer more nuanced art style. (Have a look at these pics to see what I mean). OVA, TV. As with Trigun, it's a subtle difference but a key one. You see, what really made the Hellsing TV series stand out to me was it's sense of style and unique atmosphere. Of course the music played a huge part in this as people have also mentioned already. There's a certain rawness and level of insanity in the TV series as well that makes it feel almost dreamlike. All these factors come together to make you feel like you've slipped into another world entirely. (This is key because this is essentially what Seras is going though as she suddenly finds herself in the middle of all this). It really draws you in and makes the TV series more than just a bunch of monsters killing each other which sadly is more than I can say for the first half of the Ultimate series.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
There's a certain rawness and level of insanity in the TV series as well that makes it feel almost dreamlike. All these factors come together to make you feel like you've slipped into another world entirely. (This is key because this is essentially what Seras is going though as she suddenly finds herself in the middle of all this). It really draws you in and makes the TV series more than just a bunch of monsters killing each other which sadly is more than I can say for the first half of the Ultimate series.

You need to watch this past 4. Rawness and insanity is more in Ultimate. Seras goes thru a heck of lot more in Ultimate. Ultimate brings out the drama when it wants to imo. The comedy is to lighten up the atmosphere before the slaughter starts imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6