• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Rob's Angels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Aww, that's too bad. I'll miss your reviews. I don't collect figures, as just being in the anime hobby is expensive enough as it is, but I read your reviews every single week and enjoyed them all. Good luck in the future!
cornelius99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quite so. Thanks for the columns Mr. Bricken, I shall miss you.
Rednal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
TO ROB: Thank you for all of your hard work, your entertaining comments, and those pictures of Krauser. ^^ This was a column I genuinely enjoyed reading, and I will miss your style.

TO THE NEW WRITER: Congratulations for taking over this column, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you will be doing things. I also have no idea if you will be taking requests or not, so please forgive me for my rudeness and hastiness in mentioning the following: If reasonably possible, I would like to see a review of Griffon Enterprises' soon-to-be-released 1/8 PVC of the character 'Flandre Scarlet' from the Touhou Project. Whether you do or don't review this particular item, though, I wish you the best of luck and many years of enjoyment in doing this column.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Here's the thing with Krauser - it was pretty much Rob's thing, and I personally felt the new writer should have the chance to come up with his own "thing". If you guys are really going to miss Krauser that much, though, maybe I'll rethink it.

Yeah, it'd be kind of unfair to Rob I suppose if the next writer were to continue it. Either way... we've gonna miss Krauser. Farewell Krauser! May you make it home before the gates of hell close!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Aw, sad to see Rob go. I don't even particularly care about figures, but I enjoyed the articles. I'll miss Krauser, too, but that is kind of Rob's thing, so it wouldn't really seem right having someone else use it.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Aw~n. Guess I'll have no more Queen's Blade figure reviews to look forward to. Sad You'll be missed.

As a sidenote...that Miyazawa figurine, for some reason reminds me of an old high school friend, whose literal default setting was a blue track suit and bare feet. Seriously, no matter where she was, or what she was doing, it was always in her silly tracksuit and barefooted.

Kids and their fashions these days... Rolling Eyes They really ought to take cue from Baccano.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Here here. I'm going to miss it. It was the perfect thing to close the column with every time. I hope the next reviewer will get one especially since they aren't that hard to get a hold of.

Here's the thing with Krauser - it was pretty much Rob's thing, and I personally felt the new writer should have the chance to come up with his own "thing". If you guys are really going to miss Krauser that much, though, maybe I'll rethink it.

Maybe he can get another figure as his mascot.

I just hope the new guy isn't super into ecchi figures.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just so there's no confusion, Astro Toy isn't going away, it'll just have a new writer when it returns in 2 weeks. Said new writer will be announced when his first column goes up.

Sorry to see Rob go. I really enjoyed his style of writing. Though I'll also miss Krauser, here's to looking forward to what the new reviewer brings forth.

*sigh*

One by one, the reviewers leave for better things. Good luck, Rob, and here's to hoping you guest every so often here.
Key, you better not go anywhere or I'll hunt you down, chain you to a desk, and force you to stay. (this is a joke, of course)

A shame I missed the call for a new reviewer of figures. I would have loved to have tried out for the position, though I don't think I'd have received the offer given I would have done so pro bono.

Now, I'll wait two weeks to see what becomes of Astro Toy.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed reading the various reviews over the months, so thanks for the entertainment for the last ~year and a half(ish). I did enjoy the writing style and the use of picture (often for humour).

Hope the next writer is just as good Anime catgrin
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

One by one, the reviewers leave for better things. Good luck, Rob, and here's to hoping you guest every so often here.
Key, you better not go anywhere or I'll hunt you down, chain you to a desk, and force you to stay. (this is a joke, of course)

A shame I missed the call for a new reviewer of figures. I would have loved to have tried out for the position, though I don't think I'd have received the offer given I would have done so pro bono.

Now, I'll wait two weeks to see what becomes of Astro Toy.

Rob's been meaning to retire his tenure at Astro Toy for a bit; Topless Robot has been his full-time gig for a while now (as opposed to part-time, which it was when he started writing for us), and it took a while for me to find someone appropriate to take the column over.

Other than that nobody's really left us for better things - Bamboo wanted to try something different and is still developing that.

As for Theron, I'm pretty sure he could be in traction and would still be turning in reviews. Smile

Oh, and there was no call for a replacement writer. I wasn't auditioning people; this column requires something specific and so I went hunting for that.
dabura16

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll miss you writing this column, but it won't be so bad as I constantly visit TR anyways.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't expect anyone to even remember anime dolls by Tsukuda Hobby, let alone be featured in the Astro Toy column.

Heck, my anime doll collection started with a chance encounter across a Sakura Shinguji (SW1, Uniform ver.) doll from the 90's.

Rob Bricken wrote:
Miyazawa comes with a bunch of accessories: there's her track suit, of course (and for all I know, she may be anatomically correct under there, because I've never taken it off)
I've attempted to strip my Sakura doll by Tsukuda Hobby, but quickly learned midway that the only way to get all her clothes-off is to cut them open since the clothes were sewn directly over the doll body for a tight fit.
So no archival photoset of all the articulation joints and how they work... Sad
But I did however learn that her boobs were squishy... Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
that Lisa Hayes looks a bad Barbie reproduction.

good luck with Topless Robot, we'll miss your reviews of bad hentai figures.

Bad hentai figures where?

If you're referring to the Queen's Blade ones, Rob mentioned that they're excellent figures, just not his type of thing because of nippleage.

And yeah, sad to see Rob go. This was one definitely one of the more interesting columns on the site. I hope the next person reviews more completed figures, and fewer gashapons.
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I agree that the pictures with Krauser started out as "Rob's thing," but at some point in time I started merging those pics as a staple part of the column. Now I've come to expect those pics to be there. However, the new writer should totally get their chance to develop their own thing, and, as with many things, keeping the Krauser pics with a new writer may not jell as well just because Rob isn't the writer anymore. So now I'm torn...
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
If the new writer will have half the sense of humor Rob has, then they could probably, successfully do some sort of photo-comic as "their thing."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4