• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-12]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
"Get your bitch on." WAA HAA HAA! That's so damn funny, I'm writing in this week! Okay, maybe not, but we'll see.

Per the music dubbing... oh good grief. How ridiculous this business can get makes me laugh even more than the statement above.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to freelance writing and writing about anime, I have to echo what Brian said in this week's column. You just aren't going to make ends meet with freelance writing alone.

I write about anime at another website (and it's a site that covers a whole bunch of topics, and I'm in charge of the anime topic). This site doesn't pay us for the work we do. Any money we make from there comes from Amazon Associates links that we include in our reviews. I've been wrting about anime for this site for a little over two years now, and I've made about $50 through my affiliate links during that time. So, no, I'm not exactly raking in big money.

However, I have started seeing some of my work for that site being quoted and cited on blogs, forums, and websites. Again, it's taken nearly two years, but my work is starting to get noticed.

So if the person who asked about being an anime critic is reading this, I would encourage you to find a way to publish your work (through a site or through your own blog or something), to write, write, and write, and to KEEP AT IT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I've only done a couple of reviews for ANN (and want to do more) and wouldn't rely on it for a living so much as an assurance to the folks I'm leeching off of that my writing skills are marketable while I'm busy trying to write my own novel. I also write reviews for my own anime blog, so maybe that's why Zac deigned to allow me to help out. Who knows? It's always good to help ANN out, anyway, because it's a site I respect.

As far as English-dubbed anime songs, two thirds of them are complete disasters. I prefer they leave most of them alone. Some anime have actual English songs in them to begin with (when Steve Conte or Scott Matthew can be bothered) and those are good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
To answer this weeks question: Any character that had an annoying high pitched voice.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I never understood why anyone would want theme songs dubbed. Regardless of your opinion on Japanese music for the most part the quality of the production and the singer is higher than that of the outcome when random American VA does it. I mean, does anyone remember Ouran? Or Peach Girl? Suzuka?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I never understood why anyone would want theme songs dubbed. Regardless of your opinion on Japanese music for the most part the quality of the production and the singer is higher than that of the outcome when random American VA does it. I mean, does anyone remember Ouran? Or Peach Girl? Suzuka?

That's like asking why anyone would want anime in general dubbed because it's the exact same reason. And yes, I do remember those songs and I liked them (although haven't heard Peach Girls' song). That's why I wish they'd do more. Call me nuts or insane if you want, but hearing a song in my own language just makes it more enjoyable somehow. I know, go figure. I'm not saying I hate Japanese openings, because I don't, but if you take away the video for that opening and I'm just left with a song I care nothing about because I have no clue what's being said(that's why I hate those J-CDs Bandai packaged with Haruhi and Lucky Star; I had to pay for them and all they do is collect dust). On the other hand, if you take away the video for the English version of Ouran I have song I have no problem listening to because I do understand the words. Hell, I can actually sing the song in my shower if I learned it and wanted to.

I think this comes from my slowly growing hate of Japanese audio. I used to like it, but I once I started watching dubs, I just couldn't go back. I'm much too bitter for my age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
To that first question: It's great you love anime, and sure it would be ideal to have a career within your interest, but do you have to have a career that has to do with anime? Writing anime reviews or having an anime blog sounds like something to do for fun, or some sort of leisure. You really aren't going to get paid enough to make ends meet doing that for a job or career. Sorry if I sound discouraging.

I don't know how old you are, but I'll tell you what: when I was 16, I wanted to do something where I could spend time on anime all the time. Then reality hit. By 18 years old, I realized that anime is just a hobby, something for fun. It was time to think about getting a real career. That career I chose was music. Besides anime, I really love music, been listening to it my whole life. While people in my class were listening to Beyonce, Kanye and Britney Spears, I was listening to The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie and others. I became inspired and realized I wanted to make music. I'm taking lessons and am in Music Theory II and I can tell you, that is a very difficult class. But I'll do it. If learning about time measures, cadences, timbre, pitch, etc is what I need to learn to become a professional musician, so be it. I still watch anime, and have written a few reviews, but it's all for fun. It's not something I want to make a career of.

The only two things I can encourage you on is too find a career that really does suit you, I'm sure there is something, you just haven't found it yet. Secondly, no matter what career you do, you can still watch anime, and if you feel like it, write reviews and blogs. It should all be for good fun. And like Brian said, stay in school. Trust me, I know school can be a drag, but you will go places if you finish school.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One: Yeah, "anime" and "manga" are their own plural. Just like sheep. "I have many manga." "I enjoy all anime."

You can add plural "s" if you want to, if you feel it flows better with the language / the grammar of the language you're using.

Quote:
Two: "animu" is just another 4chan in-joke.

I thought it's a joke about the pronunciation of the word?

Quote:
The word Animu is a joke used to describe both Anime and Japanophiles who attempt to give Japanese sounding pronunciations to words that were not Japanese to begin with. It is not meant to describe any specific form of Anime.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=animu
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Answer to Hey Answerfans? Tim Burton! ...oh wait, someone in the anime/manga industry? Hmm, this will take more thought. But my answer will be along the same vein - I don't hate Tim Burton (and I loved Big Fish) but for him and quite a few anime/manga staffers, when I see their name attached to a project, I approach it reluctantly, if at all. I'll have to narrow down my choices though...

Another great Answerman this week, Brian. I love whenever you respond to questions regarding writing - your advice is the easiest to follow, doesn't require a big investment, and is very true. Sometimes the simplest answers seem the most far-fetched.

As far as dubbed openings, I'm kinda torn, just like dubs in general. I like the Japanese track most times, but it's always interesting hearing how it sounds in my native tongue and some of the dubbed openings are quite catchy - English "Freckles" from Kenshin still gets stuck in my head.

...and then there's the "One Piece Rap" that Zac and Justin so generously reminded us of yesterday...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
To that first question: It's great you love anime, and sure it would be ideal to have a career within your interest, but do you have to have a career that has to do with anime? Writing anime reviews or having an anime blog sounds like something to do for fun, or some sort of leisure. You really aren't going to get paid enough to make ends meet doing that for a job or career. Sorry if I sound discouraging.

Er, not to contradict you but I am living proof that you can get a full-time, pleasantly middle-class job writing about anime.

You just also have to learn editorial management. And there aren't very many places you can work. But it is possible.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I did like those old Pioneer/Geneon redos of the Tenchi Muyo soundtracks.

I Am A Pioneer is now stuck in your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1oyDO3TB0
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you didn't mention the Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad soundtrack, as all the songs on that (except the Beat Crusaders opening) were redubbed very well in english.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I tend to prefer the Japanese versions of the songs over the English dubs. Not that the dubs are bad, but I think the Japanese language is rather beautiful (even if I don't understand much of it), and I think the songs sound better in their native language.

Of course, part of this might come from the fact that when I was little, my father was in the Navy, and we spent four years of my life living in Japan (in the late 1970's, when I was very young, so I don't have a lot of memory of it). One of the few things I do remember is hearing Pink Lady and liking their music. And since my parents had bought one of their cassettes while we lived there, I was able to continue hearing that music even after we moved away from Japan. I remember listening to that tape a lot when I was elementary school. So, basically, I've kind of grown up listening to some music in Japanese. But, alas, my parents won't let me have that tape, even though I've asked to have it. Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Puffy AmiYumi crack the top 40?
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Brian's response to the first question was really excellent. It does help when you hear individual stories of how people got into the industry of their choice, because you realize that if they can do it, so can you. The old cliche' of everyone has a different story is very true.

Here is something that you don't hear very often: Put yourself out there. If you have writing samples, show them to everyone you know. Encourage criticism and especially correction of mistakes in grammar and punctuation. I know editors who will not hire writers who do not know the difference between "its" and "it's."

Secondly, take risks!! For example, I went on a tour of an animation studio and when the tour was over, instead of saying "Thank you, nice tour," I asked them if they had any openings, and they asked me for a resume. Two weeks later, somebody at the studio quit, and because my resume was on their desk, I got the job.

This would not have happened if I didn't take that chance. That one nothing-to-lose moment changed my life forever.

Finally, meet as many people as you can in the industry you want to be in. People will remember your face. Go to conventions and don't be afraid to approach those you admire and respect, but be professional and respectful.

In 2000, when the animation industry experienced a minor crash, I got a job at a manga company because I had hung out with a group of people on a Friday night at an anime and manga convention. One of them turned out to be quite high up on the food chain of his company, and he remembered me from that one night and gave me a job.

There will be times when you want to give up. Don't. Just focus on your goal, and put yourself in the position to make it happen.

One of the greatest moments of my life was when Yasuhiro Imagawa visited our studio and I met the director of one of my favorite anime series. He gave me his business card.

On the back of that card are five simple words:

"Don't dream it, be it!"

Incredible things will happen if you make them happen.

Good luck!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5