• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Battle Angel Film Planned After Avatar 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Avatar 2... god, just the sound of it makes me nauseous with thoughts of ego-stroking and budget-blowing.

Agreed. I like Avatar 1 but it still isn't a good movie.
Jacut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Avatar is only the #1 of all time if you ignore Gone with the Wind and Star Wars' inflation-adjusted grosses.

Yep. Last time I checked (two weeks ago maybe), Avatar was moving up in the ranks but was still like the 12th highest-grossing film ever, inflation-adjusted. It's totally silly to say that Avatar is the highest-grossing film ever by the way, it's totally discounting all the economic theories and simple reasoning, but I guess it makes an easy news to type for the journalists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Landau explained how screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island, Ghost in the Shell) expanded Cameron and Landau's awareness of the manga after she was brought onboard the project. Cameron and Landau were already familiar with one of the manga volumes and the anime adaptation, but Kalogridis "opened us up to the other nine books that exist, and how rich that world is.”

This gives me an idea of where other Hollywood adaptations have gone wrong. Wonder if this means they'll get it right this time.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Avatar is only the #1 of all time if you ignore Gone with the Wind and Star Wars' inflation-adjusted grosses.

Yep. Last time I checked (two weeks ago maybe), Avatar was moving up in the ranks but was still like the 12th highest-grossing film ever, inflation-adjusted. It's totally silly to say that Avatar is the highest-grossing film ever by the way, it's totally discounting all the economic theories and simple reasoning, but I guess it makes an easy news to type for the journalists.

It is possible to adjust for inflation for one country's domestic gross. but there isn't a reliable method of adjusting for inflation for worldwide grosses. Gone with the Wind only has the highest inflation-adjusted gross for the United States; it doesn't have the title for highest grossing film worldwide.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Wah... are we really having the "inflation list VS most money list" argument here? On a anime site... They're both different list that measure different things so what's the point? Wanna throw in the "Minus IMAX tickets" or "Average per theater" or the "Only count up to max number of theater releases of the lower one" or the ever so universal "Only count up to max number of theater releases of the lower one based upon the dollar amount of the 1949 dollar within a six month period only counting every non-holiday weekend" list? Cause I believe then Porky's II would be our winner there. Rolling Eyes
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'll believe it, when I see a trailer and hear a "This Film is Not Yet rated" voice-over.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Anyway that's the thing though, it's supposed to be a trilogy; what are the odds that Cameron's going to go from directing the middle Avatar movie to a completely different project afterward?

That's what Chris Nolan has been doing with the Batman movies so it's by no means unheard of.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Finally we get confirmation that Cameron is gonna do Alita... eventually.. again.. for the..

Meh. Well, I guess this is the most certain news that Cameron is dedicated to doing Alita, even if it is after Avatar 2: na'vi Boog'aloo. Hell, we've waited this long...
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
If anyone can do a violent, R-rated, bloody, science-fiction action film, its James Cameron. And believe me, Battle Angel will be awesome. Also looking forward to Avatar 2, thought the first one was great, and nobody does sequels better than Cameron. Terminator 2 anyone? Aliens?
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Wah... are we really having the "inflation list VS most money list" argument here? On a anime site... They're both different list that measure different things so what's the point? Wanna throw in the "Minus IMAX tickets" or "Average per theater" or the "Only count up to max number of theater releases of the lower one" or the ever so universal "Only count up to max number of theater releases of the lower one based upon the dollar amount of the 1949 dollar within a six month period only counting every non-holiday weekend" list? Cause I believe then Porky's II would be our winner there. Rolling Eyes

Haha! We have a winning post here. Laughing
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
redcar wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Avatar 2... god, just the sound of it makes me nauseous with thoughts of ego-stroking and budget-blowing.

That's funny, it sounds like making a living to me.

Or like making a gazillion dollars! I'd do it.

tuxedocat wrote:
Quote:
Landau explained how screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island, Ghost in the Shell) expanded Cameron and Landau's awareness of the manga after she was brought onboard the project. Cameron and Landau were already familiar with one of the manga volumes and the anime adaptation, but Kalogridis "opened us up to the other nine books that exist, and how rich that world is.”

This gives me an idea of where other Hollywood adaptations have gone wrong. Wonder if this means they'll get it right this time.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Are they really saying they saw one volume of manga and the OAV, began to plan a multi-million-dollar film adaptation, and then (months or years?) later: "What? There's more source material?!? Shocked"...

Perhaps someone should e-mail and let them know about Last Order?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
Avatar 2? Thanks for the visuals, but try to make the story good this time, okay buddy.

Also adjusted for inflation Avatar was something like the 26th highest grossing movie of all time. Even his Titanic still beats Avatar.

After I saw Avatar I lost faith in James. Beautiful film. Sucky story. Those people that have been killing themselves over it must be the cheesiest and most easily impressionable people on the planet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Avatar 2? Thanks for the visuals, but try to make the story good this time, okay buddy.

Also adjusted for inflation Avatar was something like the 26th highest grossing movie of all time. Even his Titanic still beats Avatar.

After I saw Avatar I lost faith in James. Beautiful film. Sucky story. Those people that have been killing themselves over it must be the cheesiest and most easily impressionable people on the planet.

The movie was great. I liked the story even without the visuals. Get off your high horse and stop treating your opinion on a scifi film as the word of god. If everyone who liked it is "easily impressionable," I will also mention some nerds despise anything that becomes popular becuase of their reclusive nature.

Making excuses for why people spent more money on Avatar than previous films still doesn't change the fact it's still number one. You may as well be complaining about why the Saints won the Super Bowl.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
You may as well be complaining about why the Saints won the Super Bowl.

OOOhhh they'll complain. All my friends who were cheering for the Colts blame me cause for some weird reason, the teams I cheer for and WATCH play, have like a 75% chance of losing (I'm bad luck. sigh...). I was cheering for the Saints, so they were mad that I stopped watching the Super Bowl after halftime. It was awesome. Hearing them yell while I was with others playing some MW2.

And most complaints for the story of Avatar stem from the fact it wasn't completely original in overall concept. Which is a funny complaint to come from an Otaku. We love animes that have a completely new story or idea, but we know alot of the stuff in anime gets recycled. But we still enjoy or love shows who tell the reused themes or plots in their own way. So its weird that people dislike Avatar for working on the same principle but made oodles and oodles of money in he process.

But I guess those who complain just hold Avatar on a different level due to the money spent on it. What can you do? It wasn't a bad story at all (actually very well told) but I'm sure people felt that all that money should have equaled a completely original, never before told story as well as next gen CG and motion capturing. Which is funny to think that more money can effect a script in that way.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
^ Almost no anime have completely original stories. Maybe a hand few released in the past 20 years. And Avatar comes from 1950's scifi novles, yet they are dumb enough to claim it came from Pochahontas or other things that are equally ridiculous. And these same people probalby enjoyed The Dark Knight, which has had it's story used about 50,000 other times in similar super hero stories. So yeah I smell hypocrisy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4