• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Battle Angel Film Planned After Avatar 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope James has the ability to man up and realize he just got lucky with the last one.

Yes, making a film that may make close to 3 billion dollars, a lot from repeat viewings, means he got lucky. Rolling Eyes Do you realize how arrogant this statement is?

Quote:
"WHOOSH," right over the head.

No, the fact that arguing something is bad for using escapism from the stand-point of being a fan of anime, the most escapist entertainment there is on the planet, being the height of hypocrisy didn't fly over my head. I'd address your other "arguments" that you asked me too again, but seeing as it's all more hypocritical e-rage nerd wank that you would only use against something you're mad at for being mainstream when you could make the exact same arguments three fold against everything else you watch I won't bother.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
And Avatar comes from 1950's scifi novles, yet they are dumb enough to claim it came from Pochahontas or other things that are equally ridiculous.
Its structure is clearly indebted to the White Messiah story, which can be seen in loads of stories where the noble savages' "salvation" comes from the caring white man when they are threatened by his people. There isn't room for argument on this.
Oh indeed! 'Tis what I thought when it was finished. "Dances with Wolves" in blue 3D. Laughing
Momoyuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Quote:
"WHOOSH," right over the head.

No, the fact that arguing something is bad for using escapism from the stand-point of being a fan of anime, the most escapist entertainment there is on the planet, being the height of hypocrisy didn't fly over my head. I'd address your other "arguments" that you asked me too again, but seeing as it's all more hypocritical e-rage nerd wank that you would only use against something you're mad at for being mainstream when you could make the exact same arguments three fold against everything else you watch I won't bother.

Get off your high horse. You are stereotyping anime fans as a whole for being escapists and hikikomori-esque otaku. (And TatsuGero23's misuse of the word "otaku" is irking.) While I can admit that the average obsessive teenage anime fan uses anime as a medium for escapism, that generalization shouldn't be used on everyone who watches anime, especially for anime fans like myself who just watch anime like I watch anything else on TV -- for entertainment. Any source of entertainment can be considered a form of escapism. It isn't just limited to anime. And I'm willing to bet that the people who were getting depressed over Avatar were not anime fans at all. But, escapism is not the problem with Avatar. You're totally missing the point. The problem isn't the recycled "white man saves the savages/natives" story (which isn't based off of a true story in Avatar's case), but rather, the message that is being sent to the audience through the movie with that kind of story. The people who loved everything about the movie are missing the movie's entire point beyond the visuals. If you couldn't figure it out yourself just from watching the movie, then do some research on why so many people did not like the story. I'll give you a hint: It is not because the story is totally ripped scene-by-scene off of Disney's Pocahontas or Dancing With Wolves (while that's irritating, that's the least of people's worries); it's something deeper than that.

If James Cameron is all for perpetuating stereotypes and discrimination (something Hollywood continues to do today), then I'd be worried about what he'll do to Battle Angel Alita's story. In fact, I'm worried about all anime/manga, video game, or Asian films that are adapted by Hollywood. With all the power he has in Hollywood, he didn't have to "play it safe" with Avatar's story, because his name is what sells. Let's just hope he's more adventurous with Battle Angel Alita and gets some creative screenwriters on his team.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
No, the fact that arguing something is bad for using escapism...
I find it fascinating that in one post Momoyuki understands my points while you have persisted in a series of misinterpretations.

Quote:
I'd address your other "arguments" that you asked me too again, but seeing as it's all more hypocritical e-rage nerd wank that you would only use against something you're mad at for being mainstream when you could make the exact same arguments three fold against everything else you watch I won't bother.
Clichéd, personal and straw man attacks are so much easier than actually addressing others' arguements. It's a shame.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I was actually hoping he would dive into Battle Angel now that Avatar was completed. I suppose I was asking for too much.

However, after seeing Avatar, I will be extremely disappointed if he does not do a good job with Battle Angel. He's already got a concrete story to work with here, and he's proven that he knows his way around visuals and how to get actors to produce their best efforts.

Just get it done already, Mr. Cameron. I'm starting to feel like he's just throwing out statements to quiet the fans. I'll believe he's serious when he can produce more than just words.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mannyperson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
This is just an adaptation, and not an original story, so I have faith that Cameron will do it justice. He knows his cyborgs (Terminator 1 & 2)
kow626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
after that ripoff avatar, not sure if i'm looking forward to gunnm anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4