• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can understand the Miyazaki hate for some of his more recent films, but the rip into Nausicaa at the levels I’ve seen in this thread is shocking for me. To take one Miyazaki’s first films and try comparing it to some of his newer ones and critique it for plot holes, similarities and the like, it just seems wrong. Ugh.

I’ve been watching Nausicaa from a young age when I was a poor little girl with a VHS called Warriors of the Wind, Nausicaa sounded like a 40 year old woman (seriously, the original Nausicaa dub is HORRIBLE) and a good half hour of “boring footage” was edited out for time. Even then Miyazaki managed to keep little 9 year old me rooted like a tree and mesmerized, at an age where ADD usually had me running around like I had ants in my pants. I enjoyed the story about a girl torn between her people and her connection to nature even if my small little mind didn't comprehend everything the film was showing me. In a library of films such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Snow White, Nausicaa stood out like some bizarre, exotic gem.

Perhaps to some Nausicaa didn't seem really fleshed out to be called a strong female heroine, but really what else do we have to compare her to for the time period? Briar Rose keeping her secret affair with Prince Phillip a secret from her guardians in Sleepy Beauty? No one else in animation was giving women the lime light, they were always damsels in distress, and ones that rarely stood up for themselves.

There were very few feature animated films that at the time attempted to send out any sort of message criticizing humanity, or heck any animated films that tried sending out any sort of message in general, and the only one in mind mind that came close came out years later in the form of Don Bluth’s The Secret of NIMH, followed by the Disney attempt at the Rescuers Down Under (a film Disney animators credit Miyazaki for influence in the flying scenes).

Environmentalist messages in animation are a relatively new thing for Western animation outside of TV shows. What more some people criticizing here completely missed the point of Nausicaa as many people in this thread, such as penguintruth and other forum users have already pointed out.

Setting plot holes aside (plenty classic movies, animated or not have them), Nausicaa is an amazing landmark for animation and to deny it of anything short of an influential masterpiece for its era is to take a Van Gogh painting now and go "Eh, it’s nothing original.” Try looking at it for what it represented in its day, and for a whole generation of Disney animators it influenced, instead of looking at it from a modern day prat’s perspective of someone who is exposed to fluid computer animation, and whose ears are overly hounded by environmentalist cries everyday that human technology is frakking up the world while failing to act on it. Nausicaa’s message is still relevant for viewers of today and did for some people what watching Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth did to some people five years ago.

And yes, I think Humans are an evil scourge on this Earth well deserving of a massive zombie virus to kill us all off the face of the Earth so that nature may reclaim the planet, unless we can learn co-exist. But I don’t think Miyazaki is to blame for this completely. I have other things to blame like Captain Planet, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and Archie Carr.

jjwitdaheydiddydiddy wrote:

Sure, the backgrounds are good. But nobody but an aspiring cartoonist watches animated features for their backgrounds.

True. The main reason I bought the Blu-Ray release of Disney’s Sleeping Beauty was so that I may pause and drool over the intricately detailed backgrounds and color design of Eyvind Earle in high definition. Anyone who ever looked into animation as a career understands that an animated film is not just the key animation of character or the story. There’s more to that that makes up a film, and sometimes the background art steals the show. Princess Mononoke is another fine example of where this can occur.
ladyvoid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Alright. for the guy who trashed miyazaki...
Hey, he's mostly correct, I guess. It's no surprise to me when he complained about the flat characters and recycled themes... but I do have to dissagree with the "long eating silences" part. Maybe this guy doesn't have much patience, but doesn't he realize that a whole chunk of Japanese animation favors the "quiet scenes"? I don't just see it in Miyazaki's movies - it's in loads of other anime as well. Hell, it's one of the biggest differences between Western and Japanese animation, and American animators have taken this to heart (just look at Up).
Regardless, I'm not exactly sure how to cover this guy's other rants. Yah, they're true... but I'm sure most of us can admit that after watching a miyazaki movie for the first time, you get a lighthearted, giddy feeling, as if you watched something good in anime for once... or is that just a facade? Wink
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
There is one song by X Japan in Rock Band.

Its I.V. and its part of the 20 free download songs you get when you buy Rock Band 2.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We do, almost literally, control the world.

Say what? Really?
lkmjr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I keep seeing people complain about Nausicaa portraying "protecting your home" as wrong and about the people of the Valley of the Wind "rising up against" the antagonists. Let's clear those up now.

The other countries invaded the Valley of the Wind. Yes, the people of the Valley retaliated; they did not just attack the others out of the blue. The Tolmekians killed the king and took the people of the Valley hostage, all because the egg for a walking weapon of mass destruction happened to get stuck there. The Pejites were trying to bait a stampede of Ohmu into the Valley, destroying it and wiping out anyone inside, in order to destroy said weapon. I'm not seeing any subtext about "saving your home" being bad here, considering that the people of the Valley were fighting not only for the Jungle (well, to be fair, the Jungle was mostly all Nausicaa) but also to save their homes and their lives. And I'll say it again: the antagonists were portrayed extremely sympathetically and shown to think what they were doing was right in order to protect not their homeland but also the entire human race, which it might well have been had it not been for the whole tree-sand-soil thing that only Nausicaa knew about. And as far as the people of the Valley rising up against them... they invaded their homeland, killed their king, and took their people hostage! They had every reason to fight back!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
His "chores and crying" movies may not be offensive or pretentious, but they are stories not worth telling. Boring, with generic characters that he used before, pointless, and childish. Really just dumb movies. But I guess people like seeing the same thing over and over again?
Going through your MyAnime list, it's not totally surprising that you dislike Miyazaki's movies. But "generic"? "boring"? "pretentious"? "childish"? What do those mean? Specifics, dude!

And I don't know about you, but I'd never confuse any of his films. The only one that feels like a "remake" of another is Princess Mononoke, and that's a major refinement of the Nausicaä movie. If you discount directors using similar themes and characters... well, that discounts every single director who has ever lived! Also, can you seriously tell me that in Porco Rosso you see Castle in the Sky or any of the other Miyazaki movies? Spirited Away from Totoro? Again, specifics, dude!

Wooga wrote:
So no, I do not find Nausicaa a masterpiece or Miyazaki to be a genius, and I'm not going to force anyone to believe this, but for what they are (children's movies) they're not bad.
I wouldn't agree on calling Miyazaki's films "children's movies." The term is all to frequently used as a lazy criticism that basically supposes plot-heavy, "complex" stories are better. Miyazaki has never been concerned with utterly air-tight, "deep" stories (outside of what the Nausicaä gradually becomes, and Mononoke to a lesser extent), but they have a lot of nuance to them. The term also has a kind of implicit baggage where there's no apparent consideration for an adult audience, which, as can be evidenced by the general enjoyment and critical acceptance, is most certainly not the case.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think that the anime which portray Americans and non-Japanese in a somewhat realistic way are either playing up to Americans or really love other cultures. I tend to really appreciate anime which involve or mix in other cultures. It makes me feel like the rest of the show is going to be quality because someone took the time to put some thought into their characters and settings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Sceleris wrote:

It seems that show is called Nougyou Musume (Agriculture Girls). Ketsu Inu (Butt Dog) is apparently about the dog that looks like a butt.

(This changes everything! The butt dog is going to save anime!)

Are you serious? This is a show whose name translates to "Butt Dog"? Has there been any English-language localization done for it? I might see it if I find it to be interesting, but in all seriousness, I don't think an anime about a dog that resembles a butt is going to become a hit here.

YOU KILLED SARCASM

:(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
From Nausicaa.net

Quote:
Q: Is it based on a manga?
Yes. It's based on Miyazaki's manga, "Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä". There are seven volumes in total, and the movie covers about the first two volumes.

He started serializing the manga "Nausicaä" in the animation magazine "Animage" in 1982. At first, Miyazaki did not want to make "Nausicaä" into anime, since he wrote the manga to express something he couldn't express with animation, and since the manga was still at an introductory stage. As a result, the story of the film was substantially changed from the one in the manga.

To know more about the manga, visit Nausicaä manga page.

Q: Is the manga "Nausicaä" different from the anime "Nausicaä"?
Yes. It's very different, and very long. Miyazaki took 13 years to finish the manga, though he did set the manga aside several times to make movies. A great many things happen after what happened in the movie. Even the part depicted in the movie is much more complicated in the manga.

In the manga, there is a war going on between two superpowers, Torumekia and the Dorok Empire. Nausicaä was a part of Kushana's invading force, which she joined as the chieftain of the valley to keep the old treaty between Torumekia and the valley (so Torumekia was basically an ally, not an enemy). Most of the story then takes place in the land of Dorok. The Doroks are the ones who tried to cause the Ohmu stampede to crush Kushana's army to defend their land from the invasion. Nausicaä didn't even die at this point.

In the manga, there are no simple dichotomies such as valley vs. Torumekia, good vs. evil, or Nature vs. Man. Many characters, such as Kushana, Ghil, and the God Warrior have very different fates and roles than in the movie. And the ending will likely surprise you and make you think. It's a great work of art and thought. You'll enjoy it very much.

Q: Will there be a Nausicaä sequel?
Extremely unlikely. When asked about the possibility of a sequel to the movie, Miyazaki flatly said, "No". He had enough difficulties making the manga into a movie once, and he doesn't want to go through it again. On the possibility of a sequel to the manga, Miyazaki was somewhat more ambiguous. It sounded like he had some stories in his mind. He once said that he wanted to write a manga about Nausicaä in her 30s, so someday, we might be able to read what happened after the conclusion of the manga.
Even Miyazaki himself said he wasn't happy with the way the movie turned out. so he knows it was crap. But hey it sold and added money enough for him to start up Ghibli with, so forget the movie and read the manga. Job's a good 'un. Wink
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
But hey it sold and added money enough for him to start up Ghibli with, so forget the movie and read the manga. Job's a good 'un. Wink
Yeah, the manga is really something else. Of all the fantasy epics in Japanese comics, it's by far the best.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Quote:

Say what? Really?

We have by far the largest economy and military in the world. We overthrow governments we don't like (talk to Iran and Zaire) and mostly get away with it. The recession may very well end that all, though, along with our over-extension in Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe next time we should look at anime depictions of the Chinese?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

America cannot find one old guy hiding in a cave. Well, actually, America doesn't know if he's even hiding in a cave, such is the uselessness of their "intelligence" services. He could be in Europe or the freaking Caribbean for all anyone knows.

America has all-but lost its status as the world's sole economic superpower. The Eurozone, China, India, heck even Brazil of all places are increasing their dominance of the world's economy. China especially is the big worry, with its massive trade surplus, advanced and large military, and aggressive nature. Add to that the wooing of small nations and how much they have invested in America, and the Yuan seems poised to replace the American dollar as the premier world currency.

Obama seems as useless as any other president at controlling Congress and the Senate. Drastic change is needed, and yet Republicans and Democrats are still stuck in the old feuds. Reforming the healthcare system alone would have freed up untold billions, but even some Democrats were voting down the bills. I notice the very factors that caused the recession have still not been fixed. Madness.

Using essentially peasant labour and old-fashioned dynamite, China has dug and blasted thousands of kilometres of tunnels into mountainsides. Why? To build impenetrable silos for ICBMs, as well as command systems, bunkers, the works. Think Cheyenne Mountain, only outrageously bigger and even more heavily defended and equipped.

For all those many hundreds of billions of dollars spent on its military, America still cannot adequately equip its soldiers or defeat an insurgency. And it still hasn't developed an anti-missile defence system; a single missile costing a million dollars can sink a multi billion-dollar aircraft carrier without too much trouble. Do you think that America could invade a country like North Korea? Even if it wasn't involved with Iraq and Afghanistan, it would suffer horrific casualties.

And those are just some of the reasons why America is no longer the world's sole superpower, both economically and militarily.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wake me up the anime talk returns. Politicians talking politics is enough of a headache.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
That's because it's not the President's job to control the legislature. Despite what they say on TV, America's military strategy in Iraq and Afghanistan is not to quell an insurgency, but to engage in some kind of pseudo-nation-building. You're sort of correct about the rise of the BRIC countries economically, but, make no mistake: there isn't a nation or even group of nations that can engage the United States in a full-scale (i.e. nuclear) war without getting reduced to a smoldering ruin. Really, you could pretend the ground and naval forces didn't exist, and the United States Air Force alone could completely raze a nation's infrastructure in a matter of days. Of course, if you really believe the proposed "health care reforms" would free up billions of dollars (practically a rounding error to the administration of Bush's 3rd term), you are horribly, woefully misguided.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And those are just some of the reasons my speculations why America is no longer the world's sole superpower, both economically and militarily.

1/3 into your post, I finally realized you were writing fiction.

Good stuff, dtm42. Throw in a leading character, and you could give Tom Clancy a run for his money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9