• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria Holic DVD Complete Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
No one is really arguing that fact. This show is clearly a satire. However, that doesn't change the fact that someone may find some of the behavior or characters offensive.

Family Guy, The Simpsons, American Dad, and other American animated shows often use stereotypes in a satyrical manner, but that doesn't mean that people are never offended by them. However, there is a difference between being mildly offended and understanding it's a joke, and going out and making a huge stink about it or even boycotting the show. (See the recent Sarah Palin - Family Guy incident.)

I do understand why people find Maria-holic offensive, and I even share some of those views myself. However, I do understand the reasoning behind it, and I'm willing to accept that. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it, or start bashing the show because it does something I may not completely agree with. If this had been serious drama, I would have been bothered more by it. But it is clearly a comedy.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
[mod note: we don't allow that sort of insensitivity here. please temper your comments in the future.]
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
As far as the show being "mean" to Kanako goes, this is what I had to say a long time ago about it:

To be honest, I think it's pointless to get upset about "bullying" in a series like Maria-holic, where the point is that Kanako is a moron and gets kicked around for it. In other words, it's verbal slapstick. It's like complaining about child abuse in Patalliro.

The fact that Kanako is ultimately dumb and self-centered justifies the abuse on a narrative level, not a "real life" level. But the series doesn't elevate Mariya either--that's why Matsurika makes snide comments about him.

In comedy shows like this, you have to keep in mind that the main cast has to be fundamentally unlikeable in a couple of respects, otherwise you have trouble laughing when bad things happen to them. I don't feel bad for Kanako when she is verbally abused or kicked because she's a cartoon, not an interesting, nuanced character. Her duty is to promote the slapstick by saying things that are "deserving" of the slapstick in question.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
I don't think anyone's stupid enough to believe the homosexuals like the same sex because they dislike the opposite sex. So the whole concept of this show is absurdly satirical.

Actually, lots of people are stupid (or perhaps ignorant is a better term?) enough to believe that homosexual individuals are only homosexual because of some problem (i.e. trauma in their past, just haven't met the right person) they have with falling in love "normally." Especially with lesbians in Japan there is a belief that it's just a phase that girls go through when they're still scared of boys, and eventually they'll grow out of it and fall for a man like a "normal" woman would. This is discussed much in Honey & Honey, a wonderful autobiographical manga that I'd recommend for anyone interested in LGBTQ culture in Japan.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the whole concept of this show seem really homophobic? Confused

I do know what you mean, and I understand your trepidation. Quite a few of the gay characters coming out of Japan lately annoy me with their pure comedy, like the ones in the West annoy me with their pure drama. Gays and lesbians are just people too, you know? Good and bad. But I think that's why I like Maria Holic. Twenty years ago, we had Ataru, and that's a pretty valid comparison. It's not like either character can't have their serious moments, and it's not like they're not kind of aware that they're being excessive. But they never actually get laid, and they're both raging balls of hormones and desperation. Hey! I've known people like that!

It's cute, it's funny, and it doesn't sugar-coat life. She is actually looking for a serious relationship, I think; she's just trying out all her options mentally, and it gets a bit too much for her sometimes. If you haven't tried the series, I recommend it. I think, having really given the premise some thought, you could be pleasantly surprised. :3

*~Pips~*
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Not to mention, I guess I'm just not cut out for yuri anime (particularly one like this where the main character is a libido raging pervert). How much time is wasted every time a new character is introduced and Kanako has to go, "OMG, she's so hot! Is she my fated love partner?!" for a minute and a half. That would get annoying even if the characters were straight.

This is not a trait of quality yuri shows; Maria Holic is neither yuri nor quality.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Not to mention, I guess I'm just not cut out for yuri anime (particularly one like this where the main character is a libido raging pervert). How much time is wasted every time a new character is introduced and Kanako has to go, "OMG, she's so hot! Is she my fated love partner?!" for a minute and a half. That would get annoying even if the characters were straight.

I am curious what yuri titles you have seen because it seems to me you're rather misled if you think Maria Holic is a yuri title.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I am curious what yuri titles you have seen because it seems to me you're rather misled if you think Maria Holic is a yuri title.

How is it not a yuri title?

(Or are we getting pick about "yuri" vs. "shojo ai" here? Fans are commonly using "yuri" in the broader sense these days.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

How is it not a yuri title?

(Or are we getting pick about "yuri" vs. "shojo ai" here? Fans are commonly using "yuri" in the broader sense these days.)

A lot of yuri fans hate the show. Me, haven't seen it yet. Probably up my alley anyway due to Akiyuki Shinbo.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
A lot of yuri fans hate the show.

Probably because it's a parody of the yuri genre.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

So's Strawberry Panic.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

So's Strawberry Panic.

I haven't watched Strawberry Panic, but really? First I've heard that. I skimmed through the 25 user reviews on My Anime List and saw not one mention that Strawberry Panic was parody. Nor did I see such indication in Theron or Carl's review of the series, and I'd expect them to be able to pick up on such things.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
So's Strawberry Panic.

I haven't watched Strawberry Panic, but really? First I've heard that. I skimmed through the 25 user reviews on My Anime List and saw not one mention that Strawberry Panic was parody. Nor did I see such indication in Theron or Carl's review of the series, and I'd expect them to be able to pick up on such things.

From a certain point of view. The ubiquity of schoolgirl yuri in SP seems like an exaggeration of the souer system in Marimite, which in turn was a bit dramatic compared to the big sister/little sister thing at my sisters' school for high school initiation. It probably helps if you've read Enid Blyton's St Clare books and the like (all-girls schools setting with some [un]intentional subtext).

At least, one yuri blogger finds the only way she can sort of enjoy SP is by treating it as an over the top parody of yuri/girls' school stories. Perhaps it's a bit more obvious if you read the light novels. The prose style is just too out there to be anything but parody.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Now I know you're referring to Erica Friedman's light novel review. She also commented on Maria Holic, but you can probably guess what her opinion is.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
So's Strawberry Panic.

No, Strawberry Panic is just terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4