• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Watchmen's Alex Tse Wrote Script for Live-Action Ninja Scroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
For the longest time, that was one of the main titles that was advertised (both by word of mouth, and with this stupid mail order anime video ad on cable channels) as what anime was all about: Violence and sex. Extreme violence. Extreme sex.
I'm not sure that's reason to put Ninja Scroll out of the collective memory of anime fans, tho'. I don't care for the movie -- much prefer Kawajiri's Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust -- but even if it hasn't aged well compared to other gateway works (Akira, Ghost in the Shell), I don't see why it shouldn't be acnkowledged.

Wrial Huden wrote:
BTW, Zack Snyder said he was going to be as faithful as possible to the original source material in the graphic nove, and for the most part, he succeeded.
Covering major plot points is NOT the same thing as a faithful adaption, and I find it bizarre that people actually think Snyder is faithful to Moore's comic.

Zach Snyder wrote:
On his most beloved directorial tool: "Slow-motion helps me to enjoy the face-smashing even more."
There's a ton of problems with the movie (one example, the aforementioned and utterly stupid quote is from here), but I'm going to be lazy and give a link to this fantastic review from the always brilliant Joe McCulloch (a.k.a. Jog):

But if the glorified yet boring sex and violence isn't just Snyder's schtick and also belongs to Tse, that very element will surely flourish in Ninja Scroll -- something which shouldn't have any problem moving to live-action, if Tse works with a compotent action director (or maybe just a competent director, period).

Raz_G wrote:
If Madhouse can't pull the film on their own, I'm sure some US distributor will come up with the financial incentive to move on with the project.
Cross-promotion for the live-action, etc.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Covering major plot points is NOT the same thing as a faithful adaption, and I find it bizarre that people actually think Snyder is faithful to Moore's comic.

True. I think Snyder at least tried to be faithful though, especially in terms of the Director's Cut. He seemed to genuinely want to create a movie that way faithful to the source material. He's just...not that good so he only really succeeded on the most basic surface level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2