• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Don't hate the Cosplayer, hate the game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
None of the anime fans I know who became a fan in the late 90s are in to the super cutsey stuff. It's an observation.

You just met one after reading this post Razz

As for the topic, I haven't listened to this one yet, but I am interested in Hanamaru discussion and Strike Witches campaign. I guess I'll look into it if I have time this weekend.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
WHOOOOO! Curing!!!!

Seriously, this is a sport nerds should watch. It's the kind of thing they might actually like. It's intelligent and complex but I honestly do not think it's so much slower than Football or Baseball. I don't mean to say that anyone who likes those should like curling. Just that you will only find it boring if you find it entirely unappealing. Give it a chance though. It can come across as unappealing at first but it's quite interesting once you start to understand the tactics behind it and it does take a little bit for that to happen.

I'm really looking forward to Shutter Island. I'm a huge Scorsese fan.

No no, see you have to dress up in a dog suit but bring a life sized cardboard cutout of Oshii with you wherever you go.
AJtheFourth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
WHOOOOO! Curing!!!!

Seriously, this is a sport nerds should watch. It's the kind of thing they might actually like. It's intelligent and complex but I honestly do not think it's so much slower than Football or Baseball. I don't mean to say that anyone who likes those should like curling. Just that you will only find it boring if you find it entirely unappealing. Give it a chance though. It can come across as unappealing at first but it's quite interesting once you start to understand the tactics behind it and it does take a little bit for that to happen.

I second this!! And Bamboo, fair warning, if you end up trying it, make sure you wear comfortable, non-tight pants. I tried it out once and was with a friend who learned this the hard way (i.e. he split his pants right down the butt!)

Still not sure if I want to check out Hanamaru Kindergarten. One the one hand, I usually enjoy moe series, but more for the story drama than, 'Waughh! Cute girls in snow!' I'm not certain that the story of Hanamaru Kindergarten would appeal to me if it's just kids doing cute things.

I loved the interview this week, and am almost inspired to cosplay, despite the fact that I am one of those people who is afraid of others ripping them apart for not being precise enough.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
Yeeeeeah Winter Olympics ice hockey. It was a shame that the US vs. Canada game didn't get on NBC. Great game. The qualifier match between the Czech Republic vs Latvia though really took the cake for the best game so far. Shame Latvia lost that one. Would have been a great upset. (On the other side of the spectrum, US vs. Switzerland was awful. How could a game so close be so boring? Oh well. At least Zach Parise is finally getting his due).

I actually liked Sakura Taisen back when all that was availible was the old OVA on VHS. Ahhh the days of the awkward ADV dub. I'm not a music lover, but oddly I have a fascination with any series or game that uses music as a theme or aesthetic (Sakura Taisen, RahXephon, Tales of the Abyss, etc). Curious to see how the game is after all these years.

Of course Seiji Mizushima can be silly. He directed Dai-Guard!
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Wait a second....since when was Hanamaru Kindergarden the show that everyone was talking about? I'm pretty certain there's more talk about Durarara, Kimi ni Todoke, Sora no Woto and so on.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
Takes a special kind of nerd to name your cat after a Brak Show character.

And the only time you can put on a outlandish costume and be all "DONT LOOK AT ME!!!" is if you're dressed as the Grand Galactic Inquisitor from Venture Bros.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Beautiful, into anime/cosplay, and she's a rollergirl?!

I'm in love.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
I listened to this on the bus and I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from laughing at the Shutter Island bit. The trailer has been playing in front of damn near everything for what seems like months over here, and me and my friends have been parodying exactly the same lines Zac and Bamboo quoted for weeks now (Leo's accent on the "duly appointed Federal Mawwwshalls" part is especially hilarious). Well played.

As for Whatever Kindergarten, I have an extreme version to that show due to the character designs- the moe blobs that are supposed to be children just look like some kind of inhuman mutants compared to the adults, and one of them has that "B3" face that instantly makes me want to strangle whatever character posseses it. Bleh.

Also, it's just not my kind of thing to begin with.

Today's interview was pretty fun as well, it's nice to hear from someone in the industry who's that much of a fan.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
In respect to hanamaru, i will gladly say that i like that show... its currently one of my weekly downloads. That being said, i like pretty much everything that comes my way. The only times i dont like something is when its stupid, worthless or has no entertainment value and just trys to show as much blood and nudity as possible (cough,coughgantzcough) or if it has that bad, 1980esque animation (or loads of horrible obvious CGI ala vandread).

I dont like it because i think its cure, i dont like it becasue theres a wonderful storyline, im not sure why i like it, i just do...

PS- Australia, currently owning the olympics with 2 golds, yay us lol.

Last edited by Ringking on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
What!? Zac doesn't like countries that don't exist anymore!? Shameful! Wink
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
WHOOOOO! Curing!!!!

Oh God, curling. My parents, being the good Canadians they are, absolutely love curling. Like, jump off the couch, stamp their feet, and yell in escalating volume the closer the rock gets to the center, love curling. Myself...I've tried to watch it, have asked my parents to explain it to me, but am still completely unable to wrap my head around the scoring/tactics whatever. Ah well, at least curling has given the world "Hurry! Hurry hard! Beauty!"
Oh, and if you really like curling, you should try to find the Corner Gas episode where they have a curling tournament.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
HOLY COSPLAYING Jupiter Bunny DOUBLE-D'S, BATMAN!

Good Show, very... METAL! LOL! Thunderclese was awesome (his video on Youtube had me screaming with laughter) as was his/her owner, Charlene Ingram -great guest. Her enthusiasm for cosplaying and her positivity were both refreshing and welcome to hear.

The state of cosplay around the world was a rather surprising bit of news. Isn't there a Cosplay World Series, or something? I'd love to see how Cosplayers from Mexico and South America differ from those in Italy and the rest of Europe vs. their Asian brethren.

I was rather saddened by the current shift in some of the Cosplay base away from what I'd call "true fans" towards the vane, entitled attention whores. They should institute written exams for cosplayers at cons regarding their characters and the shows they come from, with any failures getting the boot! (I'm only half serious). Or worse yet, made to wear the hideously ugly and coarse, floor-length "Burlap Sack of Shame!"

And D.O.A. Volley Ball, Queen's Blade or Dragonaut Booty shorts don't sound like such a bad idea (for Cosplay)... provided that its in certain parts of San Diego or Las Vegas (someplace with ridiculously high concentrations of HAWTness). But if it turns out to be a Weight Watchers meeting, I'll pass! LOL!

Side Note: I wonder how many cosplayers go to cons JUST to get freaky deaky while in costume? Hmm? I've heard many conflicting reports from many cosplayers.

As for Whatever Kindergarten, I've not seen it (and probably won't) so I can't comment.

WOOT! For Curling!

And for the Winter Olympics in General. Living in Washington State, these Olympics have been a blast! I so prefer Winter over Summer, although the normally horrific traffic in Vancouver, BC is just plain nightmare-ish now. Like Bamboo, I didn't think I'd get into curling, but I love it! It's very... Zen. I like it. I was shocked to hear that curling is second only to Hockey for televised sports in Canada.

Too Bad they chose this year to come to Whistler, BC for the Olympics. It's been a horrible Global Warming Winter here in the Pacific Northwest. Had they come in the last two years, we'd have had record setting snowfalls (honestly the most snow I've seen anywhere in my entire life, and I grew with LOTS of snow).

Great Show! Any thoughts on bringing Bamboo Dong on as a regular, to fill out the show, make it a triumvirate?
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta say that as a 16 year old teenage girl I would much rather prefer watching people beat each other bloody (or even romantic love triangles) than watch some little brats tumbling around. It just isn't interesting from my perspective; I am really more of a fury animals kind of person.

And on cosplay: no, that is just not for me. I do not have the confidence or the time to make myself a costume and I doubt any of my friends do either. I do, whoever really like seeing people in (good) cosplay :]

On a side note, I find it really cute when Zac uses those cave sound effects when Justin isn't around.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes little kids are annoying. Take it from someone who had to teach them overseas. It's hard to get brats under control unless their parents actually bother to do teach them to behave them in public settings (which almost never happens anymore).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
You know why cosplaying is popular in Latin America? Because Latina women are hot, that's why.

Originally, I was going to stay away from Strike Witches because of it's baggage, but the campaign for it definitely has me interested. I'll wait a while to preview the streams for it, but I am definitely intrigued by the "War on Pants".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4