• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Don't hate the Cosplayer, hate the game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I checked out the Strike Witches trailer after hearing you guys mention it. Hilarious. It also raised my level of interest from "I've heard of that show" to "maybe I'll watch a couple episodes".
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I got a pretty broad taste so I like Hanamaru Kindergarten as almost a palette cleanser. Also I always felt there was this weird little 3rd subdivide in fans that can be tacked on the existing 2 divides or be its own division which is: people who like little kids and those who hate them or at least can't stand a stranger's little kid. Nephews and nieces yeah but they just can't stand other kids.

With all the shonen, romance, drama series, bits of supsense, violence and just something with a storyline that spans over a few episode; its nice to sit down with something like Hanamaru Kindergarten which has nothing to it besides cute, reminding of your nieces and nephews when they aren't driving you crazy, and the insurance of no lolicon type jokes popping in. It's a nice little rest for your brain. Especially since I decided to start watching Seikon no Qwaser. Wow at the series and wow at the ANN synopsis. Still deciding if I'm ready to follow the series or wait and do a marathon of it after it ends. Cool action but wow... although I have been putting off fanservice series for a while now... hmm...
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
I totally agree being a fellow cosplayer. I’m fairly new to cosplaying and will definitely not attend anime expo ever again without a cosplay. It’s just a totally different experience when you go to a convention cosplaying. My two friends and I cosplayed as the Magic Knights from Magic Knight Rayearth and I know we cosplayed well when people come up to us and thank us for cosplaying as MKR not for how good our costumes look but the fact that we dressed up as these characters. People who become interested in our cosplay will often ask us what anime we’re from and tell us they will go watch it. It was interesting how many people had no idea that MKR was a Clamp work and get excited when they have something new to check out.

I guess I might never understand why some people cosplay for the attention to me that defeats the point of cosplaying. Cosplaying is meant to express your excitement and love for a particular anime to other people who love the same thing. Cosplayers are like walking billboards of the anime they represent so not knowing what anime your character is from doesn’t make sense to me.

If you’re new to cosplaying I’d recommend cosplaying with a friend. I find that when I’m with my two friends we have much more fun than when we cosplay individually. If a friend isn’t an option attend a convention gathering where other people are cosplaying from the same anime your cosplaying as and you will definitely make new friends.

Oh and Bamboo thanks for your compliment on my cosplay that made my day!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
I hadn't realized that Funimation had a trailer out for Strike Witches (I don't visit their site much). I must say that it was a funny take on the show. They highlighted one of the weirder and arguably more offensive aspects of the show. LOL. My one gripe with the trailer would be that if I hadn't seen some of the show previously, I'd probably have expected it to be more comedy-centric than it is. But then again, a large portion of the potential buyers have either already seen it or have heard about it from friends, so that probably isn't a big deal. There's no question that it was an inventive trailer though.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Oh man, Charlene Ingram sounds exactly like one of my good friends--tone of voice, way of phrasing things, the run-on sentences when uber-excited... listening to her I had to keep on giving myself a reality check. "No, that isn't Sarah. It just isn't. Not her."

Anyway, cosplay isn't my interest, but I enjoyed the FUNi-related conversation. Good show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
It was a good show to listen too. It was interesting to hear about how brand manager's work and the shows they take responsibility for. I haven't seen the trailer for strike witches either, so I will have to check it out tonight after work. I am already interested in the show, so I will have to see how funny this trailers is. Even though I am not into cosplaying at all, it doesn't surprise me that some people would do just to jump start their modeling careers.

EDIT 1000th post, didn't think I would get to that so soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Good interview, glad she's working in the industry now. I recorded a panel Charlene was on at Anime North in 2001 (the Cosplay Curse), transcribed it to my site, and thought that was that, maybe people would be interested in reading it. Google it if you want. We're all happy anime fans who tolerate each other, right? Rolling Eyes
Some drama came out of that, and I'm not that into cosplay any more, but I might try it again someday.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
You think we have to either like Anime A or Anime B and can't like both. C'mon, guys, leave the animation age ghetto already.

I'd like you to explain what you meant by the age ghetto comment. Are you implying anything pre-2000 or say early 90's is just ghetto crap? If so are you implying any fans of anime from this age are just part of this anime ghetto?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
..I guess a bit of moe fan i do get offended at times but something I don't understand is why people comparing anime to real life? There is noting to compare it, it's fiction and I am well aware that kids in real life are annoying and I avoid them at all cost "expect for family" but it's the appeal of they are done in anime to make them cute and innocent. I know that's creepy as hell but shit I will just flat out say it there is difference between 2d/3d on this line, to me 2d is a guilty pleasure but 3d... i would rather kill myself 1st. That's all I feel like saying on the subject sorry for digging up such an old thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4