• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats, Eva 1.11, Tailenders Videos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Uggh little disappointed. Youtubed for new Angel Beats! video and there is no new anime footage. Its just the creators talking and since I can't understand that does me no good lol. Guess I will wait till someone subs it to see what they are saying. I am really looking forward to Angel Beats!.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, Rightstuf already sent my 1.11 blu ray several days ago. Am I the only one who got it early?? With the fact that I posted it on the "what did you buy?" thread and NO ONE seemed to really notice or mention anything about it, I take it it's normal to get stuff from there before street date?
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Angel Beats looks very different, story wise, from some of Key's other titles. I am a big fan of Key's works so I am looking forward to seeing Angel Beats.

I pre-ordered Eva 1.11 (DVD) just the other day along with my limited edition Clannad Lithograph (again big fan of Key and Clannad Very Happy ). I have not seen an email saying it was shipped already. Although I hope it gets here early. I am wondering if buying it just for the extra 20 mins of footage is worth it since I already have 1.0. Oh well I was bound to get it eventually anyway and I would not mind watching Eva over and over so it probably is worth it.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Angel Beats looks very different, story wise, from some of Key's other titles. I am a big fan of Key's works so I am looking forward to seeing Angel Beats.

Yeah, but I think this might be a good thing. Even though all of Key's titles are pretty well received it seems like a lot of anime fans haven't seen any of them at all. Angel Beats! looks like a good anime that will appeal to a wider variety of anime fans compared to their previous works. Although I think Kanon 2006 will always be my favorite.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Ghstmtrx wrote:

Yeah, but I think this might be a good thing. Even though all of Key's titles are pretty well received it seems like a lot of anime fans haven't seen any of them at all. Angel Beats! looks like a good anime that will appeal to a wider variety of anime fans compared to their previous works. Although I think Kanon 2006 will always be my favorite.
I agree with the Kanon 2006 favoritism.
vampirelich

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
What is the difference between this and Eva 1.01?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, that Evangelion 1.11 Blu-Ray...

I mustn't double dip... I mustn't double dip... I mustn't double dip...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Oh god, that Evangelion 1.11 Blu-Ray...

I mustn't double dip... I mustn't double dip... I mustn't double dip...

LOL, I have the Eva 1.01 DVD and the Eva 1.11 Blu-Ray. And yes, I also received the Eva 1.11 BluRay a couple days ago.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
vampirelich wrote:
What is the difference between this and Eva 1.01?

Eva 1.11 is the definitive version, with about 3 minutes of new scenes (actual dialogue, people were complaining that these scenes got cut)

***the Eva 1.01 release is a travesty and should never have been released; it has a severe screen darkness flaw due to some problem with the master template

It came out in April 2008....that's almost two years ago.

I have actual video, in *May 2009* at Anime Boston (that's over 8 months ago), actual video of me *telling FUNimation's McFarland and Sheehan* at AB about the darkness flaw, and begging them to just buy the rights to Eva 1.11

they got it anyway; anyone who bought Eva 1.01 got tricked

It's not just that Eva 1.11 is better...and it is...but Eva 1.01 had lots of flaws in it and had it been only a few would have been recalled, but the entire run was ruined

instead FUNimation wasted its resources hyping the Christmas 2009 release...and are now left with their foot in their mouths, unsure of how to sell Eva 1.11 to people, short of saying "we tricked you into buying the bad version, and we knew it was the bad version before we even got the rights; we wanted to make you double-dip"

Why, Manga Entertainment, the British distributor, didn't even bother to release Eva 1.01 and is waiting for Eva 1.11

My fansite, ReVolutionOfEvangelion.org, made a full report on the differences between Eva 1.01 and Eva 1.11 :

http://revolutionofevangelion.org/review-of-funimations-dvd-release-of-rebuild-of-evangelion-1-01-eva-1-11/

AnimeNation.com ran this as a news item; but ANN seemingly ignored it - http://www.animenation.net/blog/2010/02/01/revolution-of-evangelion-reviews-funis-eva-dub/

Here are comparison shots I made of Eva 1.01 vs Eva 1.11 - the night scenes in Eva 1.01 are basically unintelligible - (full big versions of these images are on our fansite)

watch my entire hour long comprehensive video review for more info -

Given that it's coming out next week, it's a shame ANN didn't run us as a news item: no one is really reporting on Rebuild:

Otaku USA flat out said it was a clip show like Death & Rebirth (blatantly wrong), and even AnimeOnDVD, ANN, AnimeNation, and pretty much everyone, is just plain ignoring that *even if it's much like the first six episodes....there's an ENTIRELY NEW ENGLISH DUB...with only two returning Voice Actors, but it's been 13 years so they've drastically improved so much it's like watching someone else entirely, it's so good.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Excellent presentation _V_. You've only increased my awareness and made me doubly cautious now of FUNi's current trend of awful business practices.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Excellent presentation _V_. You've only increased my awareness and made me doubly cautious now of FUNi's current trend of awful business practices.

Well hint hint, nudge nudge, if you think it was comprehensive and you're a moderator, you could put in a good word to get it made an ANN news item... Smile

but again, my favorite part is that I have actual video of me telling McFarland and Sheehan about the flaws, in *May 2009*...at their panel, and one of their answers to me was that they hadn't actually bought any of the versions yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJMwRsFGS8&feature=related

realistically, its probably that Eva 1.11 just wasn't done being printed by Christmas...but still, they could have just been HONEST about this and marketed it as "hey kids, buy the early in-time-for Christmas Eva 1.01 version!

You should have heard them at Katsucon by the way...they stumble over it calling it "Eva one point one one...uh, one? Haha this is confusing"

I even wrote about this on the FUNimation blog recently, and they responded that it's just how they got used to it:

I verbally call them "Eva one point zero one" and "Eva one point eleven"....because it's more convenient that way, easily differentiating them. "Eva point one oh one one...one?" sounds needlessly complicated.

Really you should hear it when they do it; they're not really aggressively marketing Eva 1.11 - the differences between it an Eva 1.01 are very clear cut...but also very embarrassing.

***But really, using *Eva 1.0* clips for Eva 1.01 on their website? (you can tell it's not Eva 1.01, but Eva 1.0, due to the spelling errors...did you check that? The AnimeNewsNetwork video player *claims* to have "27 minutes of Eva 1.01"...but that's because FUNimation gave you 27 minutes of Eva 1.0, and just lied to ANN, to all of us, and called it Eva 1.01...a trick which, in and of itself, is an open admission that even they think there is something "wrong" with Eva 1.01.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Really awesome to see Maeda on film!!! Also awesome to see Lia too doing the Opening so excited to hear it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Why are we talking about prior versions when the only Eva in the article is 1.11? I wonder how many posts in this thread are going to be about V pimping his website and youtube clips?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Why are we talking about prior versions when the only Eva in the article is 1.11? I wonder how many posts in this thread are going to be about V pimping his website and youtube clips?

The man's words speak by itself. 1.11 is being passed as 1.01, and people are doing a comparison here. I definitely don't see any problem with it. oyt/
Glad I didn't buy the movie yet. Thanks Manga.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I knew buying 1.01 that it was a joke compared to 1.11, but I did anyway to hold me over. Getting 1.11 isn't high on my priorities compared to other releases. At some point I will double dip, but for now, Funimation is already going to get my money for Brotherhood and the DBZ Dragon Boxes. Rebuild can wait for my birthday in the summer.

I only hope that when 2.0 comes over here I can show a little more restraint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2