• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists BDs for Guyver, Rin, Black Cat, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CASSERN SINS ON BLU-RAY!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please for the love of god, don't be an upscale. I know for a fact that show was broadcast in native HD. Lets go Funi, stop sucking at Blu-rays.

EDIT: Also, yay Eden of the East blu-ray. Ditto my above comments.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I would bet that the folks doing the asinine complaining about the credits are using it as a justification to continue stealing fansubs and never buying anime Rolling Eyes

And I'm sure it doesn't bother them at all that fansubbers insert themselves into the credits...
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't particularly mind the absence of the original, Japanese credits (although I do miss them; Funi used to include them as a second angle on its DVD releases) but I was annoyed to find that my Baccano! discs appeared to omit the Japanese cast from the ED, listing only the English dub cast. Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be standard procedure.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I would bet that the folks doing the asinine complaining about the credits are using it as a justification to continue stealing fansubs and never buying anime Rolling Eyes

Excuse me, but there are plenty of us who download fansubs, and don't complain about shit like this. Hell, Sins on Bluray? fudge the credits, gimme the episodes.

PS: You can't really STEAL fansubs, they're free Very Happy
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I don't particularly mind the absence of the original, Japanese credits (although I do miss them; Funi used to include them as a second angle on its DVD releases)

This led to all sorts of video issues on Funimation DVDs. If you compare one of these DVDs with the current generation of Funi DVDs you will notice a vast difference in quality.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I was annoyed to find that my Baccano! discs appeared to omit the Japanese cast from the ED, listing only the English dub cast. Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be standard procedure.

It is pretty common, in my experience. The most recent One Piece DVDs list the English cast and not the Japanese, for example.

Cast and crew are often mistranslated or left off entirely; there are plenty of us who do know Japanese that would like to read it.

Also, (at least in the early days), sometimes the Japanese version would have a beautiful, elaborate title sequence that would be covered up by a still blue screen with something written in Times New Roman.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
out of curiosity, is there someplace you can go that will list if a bluray is an upscale or hd native? does funi's site list it anywhere?.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. (I'm new to Blu-Ray.)
Does it list it on the package?

I'm assuming the Dragon Ball Z ones are?
But what about the upcoming Guyver set; it shouldn't be, should it?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:
out of curiosity, is there someplace you can go that will list if a bluray is an upscale or hd native? does funi's site list it anywhere?.

You can check out the reviews/threads here; http://www.mania.com/aodvb/forumdisplay.php?f=43
The users usually give a review or state if it's upscaled or native HD.
Saying that, 90% of FUNi's Blu-ray releases are upscales.
DBZ is a remastering but it's basically an upscale. Only the newly animationed OP/ED of Kai is native HD.
Guyver is unknown until released but since it was a 2005/6 show, I'd guess it'll be an upscale.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
So if Guyver's financially profitable enough to put out on BD, why aren't you re-releasing the manga, Viz? -_-
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Wasn't aware FUNi got the rights to the first season of FMP. Neat stuff.

they actually have all 3 seasons are planning to do a BD for all of them( although the second raid is already out on BD in the states)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely considering Casshern Sins. It's such a beautiful show.

Devour... Casshern!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
roesnail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
if i do not already own the dvds, i rather take the upscaled blu-ray over the regular dvds. because some of the the dvds cost more than the blu-rays anyways. check out the prices at rightstuf. Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino blu-ray is $10 less retail and $15 less than the dvd right now because its on sale.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:

You can check out the reviews/threads here; http://www.mania.com/aodvb/forumdisplay.php?f=43
The users usually give a review or state if it's upscaled or native HD.
Saying that, 90% of FUNi's Blu-ray releases are upscales.
DBZ is a remastering but it's basically an upscale. Only the newly animationed OP/ED of Kai is native HD.
Guyver is unknown until released but since it was a 2005/6 show, I'd guess it'll be an upscale.
That's a good site and I also use this site http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?genre=Anime. Both sites have helped me not repurchase series I already have DVD's of when I would only get minimal gain from the Blu-Rays. That said the future for Funi's Blu-Ray program is looking bright. It looks like they will make good on the promise they made on the ANNcast about having Blu-Rays released day and date with the DVD's. And where about at the point where their releases will be True HD. If RIN is not a upscale than I will have to double dip, I just love the show that much.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, glad I haven't been keeping up on making new purchases recently, otherwise I would have missed out on Mnemosyne BD. Eden of the East too... good start to the year for HD anime.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome. I wanted Rin, but I held off because I figured it would get a Blu-ray. Yay! Very Happy

Whether it is an upscale or not doesn't really matter so much. It will still be the better looking version. Course I imagine if they have the HD masters, they'd use them.

Casshern Sins and Eden of the East are also on my list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6