• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists BDs for Guyver, Rin, Black Cat, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I can't mention the word "subtitles" on here without looking like a purist bastard... Rolling Eyes I was talking about hard subs which are rarely used now. There's no option to remove them from the screen. Check the older Nadesico discs to get a good example of it.

If you would have said that in the first place, I don't think anyone would have argued with you about that. I don't care for hard subs either, and I am glad that not many people are doing them any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Ouran, Ghost Hunt and Aquarion all suffered from large amounts of digital and compression artifacting, color banding and blurring, and extreme levels of noise in background colors. I've read multiple complaints about these three, especially Ghost Hunt, so I know it's not just limited to me. I've also watched them on four different set ups, including three HD sets, two different upconvert players, a PS3, and an SD TV set. While they shows didn't look to bad on the SD set, a lot of the faults were still quite noticeable. But they became almost unbearable on my 40" and 46" Sonys, and nearly as bad on a 42" Panasonic that belonged to a friend.

Also, I don't believe any of these were taken from cell animation. But regardless, cell animation wouldn't cause the excessive amounts of digital artifacts that are present in these shows. Flaws like these are generally due to sloppy encoding and over compression.

But like I said, not all of their DVDs are bad. I've seen some of the newest Negima and they were okay. Their movies seem to be okay as well, but that is likely due to less content on the disc and less need to compress the material.

But these three releases have been bad enough to make me more leery of Funimation's releases, especially with all the negative comments I've heard about their Blurays, and with all the returns we see at work (mostly DVD though.) Of course, like some of the typos in others subtitled releases, and release date problems, I'm willing to overlook them if the price is right.

I personally don't own any of those three series, but every Funimation dvd I own, about 10 box sets, all look amazingly clear on my HD set. Their blurays are even clearer (even if marred by the annoying dnr upconvert). My most recent purchase was Baccano, and it was the best looking of all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6