• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rah Rah Rahmen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Now if they'd only run a panel about anime/manga for the over-50 crowd like me!

I've only seen panels like "Older Otaku" at the largest conventions. Could try to get those that run them to start attending AnimeBoston.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Are you implying that the fact it streams free online = the dark future of anime? And if so how does streaming free make it a bad thing? I could be completely misreading this...

Just a thought, but where's the revenue?

I don't remember much myself but doesn't come from ads? I'm sure someone around here knows more than I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with the Black Jack review.....I love both the manga AND the show.
I get the feeling this particular show was aimed for a younger crowd, but that's not necessarily a bad thing....seeing it will help introduce a new generation to Tezuka's wonderful work!
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Douglas has the same basic DVD shelves I do, but he has about 3 times my collection, so wow. Impressive artbook collection, too. When I finally get a house to organize my collection properly (especially my figures and character items, Touhou stuff etc.), then I'll submit something to this column.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Love the Maison Ikkoku cels. Wonder how hard it'd be to get the complete DVD sets now...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the contest of the article, since none of those strike my particular interest. I must know though, is the title a homage to "Rasputin" (Ra ra Rasputin) though the number of syllables don't work out?

Or was it a homage to the 90's commercial for "Chia Pet" (Cha cha cha chia!) which fits the syllables, but has one too many "cha"s to fit the pattern?

Lady Gaga I think...

I should pat myself on the back for not knowing who that is, shouldn't I?
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Summer Wars is amazing. I had the privilege of seeing the film at MIT's screening earlier tonight, and, like the film festival, Mamoru Hosoda was also in attendance. I cannot stress how much this film needs to be licensed!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Quote:
Damn you Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! Will we ever get over Sherlock Holmes? It's been 123 years, already. I've never read a single Sherlock Holmes book or watched a movie starring Holmes from beginning to end (at least not without falling asleep, with the exception of Time After Time) but I'm so sick of that guy! (I have watched a couple DVDs worth of Sherlock Hound.) Holmes makes a crossover appearance in everything.

I'm sorry, but wow you have bad taste. There is a reason why Sherlock Holmes has been around so long, because it's a classic. And Sir Arthur Conan Dyle was a great author. And Sherlock Holmes isn't the only eternal work, there's also Dracula, Frankenstein, The Iliad, Oliver Twist and many other great works of literature. You're never gonna hear the end of Sherlock Homes. Sorry, but you won't. That's why he's been around for so long because the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are great. You may not think so, but they are. It also sounds like you never gave the books a chance. Anyway, you don't have to like it, but no matter how much you hate Sherlock Holmes, he's not going away.

By the way, I think I'd take Sherlock Holmes over Detecetive Conan anyway. I'm really starting to lose interest in that anime.

AGREED, also if you look at house you will see that both him and Wilson are just modernizations of homes and watson. I can go more depth to it but I will just say look at their habits and names and compare them and you will see a BIG similarity. same goes for monk. also THERE where no logic leaps in that movie, it is clearly explained if you pay attention for the whole movie (you have to pay attention the entire time otherwise YOU WILL miss stuff and the deductions will not make sense). also holmes only apears once in the movie and says only six words, his world and the other characters however make big appearances. if you dislike sherlock going into the movie then YOU WILL NOT like it. and guess what the reason why they chose Jack the Ripper for the game is because he is the biggest prize for mystery fans. capture the most notorious killer of all time, do we scoff at save the world sci-fi stories or espionage stories about avoid a global war or at 24 for it's constant threat against the us scenarios (many involving nuclear weapons). also about the game IT'S 50!!!!! kids NOT 40 this is why I questioned if you where paying attention because if you did you would know 10 kids went to each level and that there where 5 levels not just the you mentioned four (the racing level is the one you forgot). I know I am biased towards it since I am a fan of the series and I am sherlock holmes fan. the movie is made towards families (not just kids, since case closed/conan is a primetime show in japan) but it is also made for holmes fans who would catch things like the colonel only being polite to the professor, and could play along with the whodonit format of the movie. also it is unfair to punish the release for being forced to use those horrible gray overlays in the subs because TMS gave funimation a HORRIFICALLY hacked up version of the video. the movie's final revivals are 100% believable and there is no evidence (to my knowledge) however you could easily make the argument that a certain wine scene is unbelievable. if you can disprove anything I have said then please go ahead and prove me wrong.
P.S. my group is considering Shion no Ou as a project.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Are you going to talk about Shion no Ou [at Anime Boston] as you suggested in response to an earlier posting of mine? I might come for that even though I don't read manga.

Yes, I totally plan to. I will give you a Ninja Consultant T-shirt.

yuna49 wrote:
Now if they'd only run a panel about anime/manga for the over-50 crowd like me!

That would be a sweet panel. The only person I know who can name titles for 50+ people off the top of his head is Ed Chavez. He'll be at Anime Boston. Usually wears a baseball hat and giant headphones, and he has a lot of facial hair - you should ask him!

britannicamoore wrote:
Quote:
Instead, these unfunny two and a half minute episodes may be the horrible future of anime. It's short, cheap to produce, streaming free online, and small enough to watch on a mobile device. The opening and ending credits take up 30 seconds of the run time.

I'm slightly confused at this. Are you implying that the fact it streams free online = the dark future of anime? And if so how does streaming free make it a bad thing? I could be completely misreading this...

All Joe Mello pointed out - where is the revenue in streaming? I don't think it's there yet.

I also have a personal stake in the future of animation. If two people work on a show with no budget, my career is dead in the water. I mean it might be dead in the water anyway...

yuna49 wrote:
Indeed, considering that one of the best anime shorts I've seen recently is The Legend of Koizumi, which was streamed for free by its creators on YouTube.

I also really loved that short! It made me laugh many times, unlike Neko Rahmen.

yuna49 wrote:
Erin, you really should try reading some Sherlock Holmes. Other than the BBC version with the now-deceased Jeremy Brett, most of the remakes fail in capturing Doyle's work...

If I told you I hated Celine Dion because "My Heart Will Go On" was overplayed, would you tell me I just need to listen to her albums? I don't even like the genre she works in.

Demonic+Elemental wrote:
Umm...you do know that 'Neko Ramen' was Flash-animated, right?

Yes, I did actually enjoy the different art styles to some extent.

Megiddo wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the contest of the article, since none of those strike my particular interest. I must know though, is the title a homage to "Rasputin" (Ra ra Rasputin) though the number of syllables don't work out?

Ah, I just sang that at karaoke two weeks ago. I like the Boiled in Lead version better. In answer to your question, though, Bamboo Dong thinks up the column titles.

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
There is a reason why Sherlock Holmes has been around so long, because it's a classic.

What if the reason is because Sherlock Holmes is a hero in the public domain?

I think there's something to be said for being sick to death of a piece of media you've never consumed. I would totally believe someone if they told me they hated Star Wars, even though they've never seen any of it, because it's been parodied so often and talked to death. I would not advise that person to watch Star Wars. They already hate it. That goes double for science fiction haters.

I'm just not a fan of mysteries as a genre. I've given them ample opportunity but nothing ever sticks. My favorite detective is in Twin Peaks, but I don't like that show because of the mystery.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'd be curious to know some numbers on that collection (ie # of dvds, manga etc).
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Wow you really disliked the Black Jack anime? I'd at least say it's average. Though if you watched it in huge blocks I can see how that is a turn off. I do think it is good if you watch one episode a week. Thought Black Jack 21 was better because it had an on going storyline which was cool.

There's no middle of the road rating for streaming series. It's either Stream Worthy or Flushable.

I'll have to check out Black Jack 21!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
All Joe Mello pointed out - where is the revenue in streaming? I don't think it's there yet.

Well, there's revenue in streaming, (spare change compared to disc sales) but when you're doing it for free, then the answer is 0.

As an aside, this is also a big reason why fansubs are bad -- no revenue going back to the source.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wooga wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Or was it a homage to the 90's commercial for "Chia Pet" (Cha cha cha chia!) which fits the syllables, but has one too many "cha"s to fit the pattern?

Lady Gaga I think...

I should pat myself on the back for not knowing who that is, shouldn't I?

I can't help it that my sister plays it on repeat for hours at a time...

Consider yourself lucky.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Nice shelves, though for the anime, was going down each shelf more a choice or an outgrowth of adding/replacing them?

I like reading the Black Jack books in whole, more than one at a time depending on how many have come in since the last time caught up. Naturally a little aprehensive to a modernized update, but what was your take on the original OAVs?

PS - The Jack the Ripper episodes were Stark Trek: TNG, not TOS, created by Geordi's poor choice of wording in commanding the Holodeck to provide Data with an equal in challenge.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
[Very Angry and ranting disapproval of the rating Black Jack got.]

[also, disproving words about the rating of streaming works]

I'm summarising my post because using words to describe what I've just read and how I feel about it would warrant my removal from this board and, more than likely, the authorities getting involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3