• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Incarnate's Simmons Addresses Alleged Bleach Copying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This kid didn't even know Bleach existed. When question originally, he said something to the effect is "What the hell is a 'magma'?" The word magma was VERBATIM.

For the third time in this thread, the Facebook posts were fake. Sheesh...when did people get so gullible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I think part of it may be that folks actively want to believe that he's that big of a tool.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The wording is rather suspect. He doesn't really admit to anything, and doesn't apologize for what he did, but for how others felt. Instead of "I'm sorry I plagiarized," he's saying "I'm sorry you think I plagiarized." He's apologizing without really apologizing.

What "fundamental imagery"?? Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This kid didn't even know Bleach existed. When question originally, he said something to the effect is "What the hell is a 'magma'?" The word magma was VERBATIM.

For the third time in this thread, the Facebook posts were fake. Sheesh...when did people get so gullible?

I think ANN needs to update the article to say that these were fake. Because obviously as much as the Internet should dissuade against gullibility, in this case not many have heeded the warning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I have a lot of respect for people who plagiarize. I'm not even a big fan of Bleach, but I recognize that art style anywhere. Did he really think people wouldn't notice?

I've never even heard of this guy before, but I'm not inspired to check out his works. He's not sorry for what he did. He's only sorry that he got caught.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
TwEeD wrote:
mrgetalife wrote:
In the music world its called "sampling" *shrug* so I dunno, maybe he thought it would eventually become accepted.

I think you don't quite understand what sampling is about though, even in music when you just copy huge chunks and change almost nothing it is not considered sampling anymore but just blatant copying

Why yes but the level of accepted sampling in music has changed over the years. Nick's not the first to try and certainly not the last. Maybe it will be an accepted artform in some way in the future.
By the crowd's reaction its not so its "before its time" as they say.

Though i won't be looking forward for it either.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Because we want to believe, and because it's entirely likely that people are that stupid. I want to dislike Nick Simmons, and see his project fail.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
jgreen wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Because we want to believe, and because it's entirely likely that people are that stupid. I want to dislike Nick Simmons, and see his project fail.

So you want to believe a hoax when there is a verified statement to the contrary? I'm not saying I condone what he did, or that I buy his apology, but when one statement is official and verified by the publisher and the other is full of things like "magma" that are clearly just there to rile people, it's clear that people need to forget about the fake.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm also agree about ANN saying those facebook entries were fake. The more people learn about it, the more we can get more facts than fiction. People will still think their real, and an official source saying it is fake would help stop spreading the fake stuff.
dngrx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
jgreen wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

So you want to believe a hoax when there is a verified statement to the contrary? I'm not saying I condone what he did, or that I buy his apology, but when one statement is official and verified by the publisher and the other is full of things like "magma" that are clearly just there to rile people, it's clear that people need to forget about the fake.

Hang on, when were those posts on FB revealed as fakes?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes the FB stuff was fake

a person on /a/ thought it would be funny to make a fake facebook page posing as him.

Saying random things in order to pull a prank / joke

/a/ and /co/ got there board names changed in return from it. (though they where soon turned back to normal after a day or two)

You can go easy mode the threads I think?

Last edited by ninjapet on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
TwEeD wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Momoyuki wrote:
Wasn't it established that that very panel from the Bleach manga was from a scanlation? If he actually admires and supports Kubo Tite, why is he copying panels from the scanlations?

I don't think you understand scanlations. I have Japanese Negima manga, the English Negima manga and some scanlations. Oddly enough the art is the same in all of them.

from what I gathered he copied art of chapters that weren't out yet in tankobon form at that time. But yeah could be he had a subscription to WSJ, although if he can't read japanese it wouldn't be a big chance

ICv2 reported that DIALOGUE was also copied from Bleach
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/16956.html

Does anyone know if the "dialogue" involved was lifted from a scanlation, or from Viz English releases?
(assuming you can't "lift" English dialogue from a Japanese raw...)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Copying line for line is not an homage, it's plagiarism.

Please don't troll, and please don't use such threads as soapboxes for baseless and unsupported accusations and claims.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, hundreds of people are just misunderstanding your "homeage". That makes sense!
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Whoa, I can't believe I hadn't heard about this earlier, but apparently before it was Incarnate, the book was called Skullduggery. A preview issue was published back in 2007 and the art is both (A) much less manga-styled, and (B) much, much crappier.

http://forum.superpouvoir.com/showthread.php?t=6315

Shocked

Isn't that Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho in the first image?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6