• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I enjoyed listening to the podcast. These four guys are really fun together. However...

I got really excited when the missing Shakugan no Shana OVA/special episode was brought up (it's full title is "Shakugan no Shana Special: Love and Outdoor Hot Spring Tutorial!"). Unfortunately, Lance's answer lead no where.

FACT: This special/OVA episode was made after Season 1 (it has Season 1's opening/ending sequences).

FACT: This special/OVA was present in Geneon's (now hard-to-find) boxset as episode 25 (and with an English dub).

FACT: This special/OVA was released on the Japanese Blu-ray box set (I believe as a part of Season 2, not positive).

FACT: This special/OVA is NOT one of the four episodes of Shakugan no Shana S, which was the box set Lance was referring to (now, it's still possible it could be in the set itself, but that has not been confirmed).

WHERE IS THIS EPISODE???? It's like FUNi doesn't have any knowledge it exists at all. It's like Hellsing: The Dawn (where both Adam and Lance admitted to not knowing what it was). It's like FUNi doesn't pay any remote attention to this extra stuff. What the hell?

I am super happy that FUNi is releasing the mini-specials though. I would just like to collect the whole series, and this one episode seems to be missing in action...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Most people want to watch something in their own language? Shock and awe.

Correction: most people who actually buy anime. >_>

Last edited by Crispy45 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Uh-oh, the Case Closed can of worms has been opened. This could be trouble.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Most people want to watch something in their own language? Shock and awe.

Correction: most people who actually buy anime. >_>

I understand that you're bringing up the valid concept of sampling bias here, but in this case I don't really thing it's meaningful.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Thought it was pretty funny the way they reacted to finding out about the sub-only special in Hellsing Ultimate's extras. Almost made it sound like it was unintentionally included on the disc.

rootsofjustice wrote:
Uh-oh, the Case Closed can of worms has been opened. This could be trouble.

The way they talked about it pretty sounded like it's done. After saying they tried 5 seasons of the tv series and tried twice on the movies. That over 675 tv episodes, 20 OVAs and 16 movies is too much for them to handle(of course it is).

I am kinda confused about the way they talked about the Baka and Test OVAs. The way they talked about it made it sound the OVAs were produced after the 2nd season. But those OVAs were produced 5-6 months before season 2, so it doesn't make any sense. It might've been something where the materials didn't get to Funi in time for Season 2's set or the licensor wanted a separate release for them. But the reason given on the podcast just didn't make any sense.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Really fun podcast.

I have the Roku app, and it works great. Very smooth streaming. I highly recommend it.

Very happy to hear that Kamisama Hajimemashita is doing good streaming business. That title, along with Psycho Pass will be instant pre-orders for me when announced.

I have all the Geneon singles for Lain. Wasn't going to double dip, but now I think I will after hearing about the art book and packaging. An art book is my very favorite form of extra-premium-swag.

Speaking of premiums, the Level E set that I just received today (via USPS) had one. I have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

I posted a link to the last Funimation survey on a bunch of forums, including Amazon.com. I know a bunch of people filled out the survey who might not otherwise have done so, especially on Amazon. In any case, I'm glad you guys got some good overall response.

I wish more people would check out Oh! Edo Rocket! That show is a really good comedy and the dub was my very favorite dub in the year it came out. I try to recommend it as often as I can. I don't usually find anime comedies all that funny, but this one really was great.

My only criticism for you Funi guys is about the Funi/Sentai lawsuit. I'm glad this was brought up, so I can go on the record and say I really don't approve. This is giving Funimation a black eye, IMO. Lawsuits like this do not benefit anyone really, except for the lawyers. The fans are the big losers in these situations, and yeah, we ARE aware of it.
No Comment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please explain banding to me (mentioned in Lain segment)? I've Googled it, but nothing really has a direct answer.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
inaccurate color presentation.
noigeL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
No Comment wrote:
Can someone please explain banding to me (mentioned in Lain segment)? I've Googled it, but nothing really has a direct answer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Colour_banding_example01.png

Different shades of the same color don't look smooth and appear segmented.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

I think funi needs to do more sub-only releases. One of the most irritating things on netflix is Funi's dub-only anime and live action. It sucks.

Sub-only releases are risky. If a show is already popular enough to make money, then a dub is a must, for marketing purposes. If it isn't, then why license it at all?

Because you don't need to sell half as many (sub-only) copies in order to make a profit. A sub-only can make sense for some titles, The Tatami Galaxy would be a great example of that I think.

Anyway, great podcast. I appreciate the fact that Lance was so open about some of the numbers concerning the most recent surveys. The podcast didn't sound like stealth promo, I appreciate Zac and Justin's approach in this.

I'll be honest though, I would have liked a more honest answer to the question about pushing back releases. The question wasn't about customers wanting faster releases, but why titles that are already solicited, sometimes are pushed back just prior to the release date.

In the end, we didn't learn much from this episode, but it sure wasn't a waste of time either. I'll be looking forward to the Revenge of the 00's episode, hearing you've already received 500+ top 3's makes me eager to see how you'll be handling those. Any chance you'll make a spreadsheet listing each and everyone of them? And maybe a tally with the most popular titles listed (top 20, or something)? Not sure how much work that would represent, but these are stats I hope won't go to waste.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
No Comment wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Colour_banding_example01.png

Different shades of the same color don't look smooth and appear segmented.

and here are examples of what people are complaining about.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Lance Heiskell wrote:
My go to standard is Blu-ray.com, with their reviews...

Laughing

Comments like this are telling.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Any chance you'll make a spreadsheet listing each and everyone of them? And maybe a tally with the most popular titles listed (top 20, or something)? Not sure how much work that would represent, but these are stats I hope won't go to waste.

Not going to happen, sorry.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I understand that it would have been a ton of work, which isn't quite ideal at this time of the year. But do you have any idea how you'll handle those yet? Pick and choose?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Yeah, I understand that it would have been a ton of work, which isn't quite ideal at this time of the year. But do you have any idea how you'll handle those yet? Pick and choose?

We wound up just blowing through a ton of them at the end of the 90s show. This time I'll likely do the same thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8