• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Life During Wartime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Also, my wallet is glad that I don't have a PS3, because I sure could not afford Heavy Rain and ...

I know what you mean. I'm waiting until April when I have more money to get Heavy Rain, but I've already gotten SO4: International, WKC and Dante's Inferno, and I have GoW3 and Resonance of Fate both on the 16th. And then 3D Dot Game Heroes in May. Very busy spring for gamers.
And I also noticed that Batman: AA2 has a tentative release of January '11. That's something to look forward to.

Tenchi wrote:
I don't care if the PS2 is an obsolete console, it's a great JRPG system and I'll buy localizations as long as they continue to make them.

It may be "obsolete", but I actually had to shop around to find one of the new slims when I decided I wanted to play my PS2 games rather than get rid of them. As soon as I booted up .hack//G.U. vol. 1, a nice rush of nostalgia washed over me. Couldn't believe how fun it was to play a last gen game, with a corded controller, on a 13" screen. Retro ftw.

Tenebrae wrote:
On games-to-anime: I'm aware it has been much debated already, but I'd put Tsukihime on the list.

Someone beat you to it already.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Nah, Tsukihime anime is just wishful thinking by hyperactive fans with too much time on their hands. The encyclopedia page must be an april fools joke they've forgotten to pull down. Word is, years back there was some effort to put the "anime" on map on internet and make it appear legit. You know, bit like rickrolling. But that's another story entirely and like I said before, many must already be familiar with the whole deal.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I see, so THAT'S why I'm excited for FF XIII ^^
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever been so apathetic towards a Final Fantasy release as I am with XIII. My interest waned with X (which I despised), and it's been downward ever since. The IV remake for DS was pretty sweet, but it's still not a new game...

Now Sakura Wars, on the other hand... I CAN'T WAIT! Importing has always been out of my reasonable price range (modding, import prices, etc), so I never had the chance to play the earlier incarnations. It looks like my wishes will come true pretty soon though!

Tenebrae wrote:
The encyclopedia page must be an april fools joke they've forgotten to pull down. Word is, years back there was some effort to put the "anime" on map on internet and make it appear legit.

OK, we get it, you hated the anime version. I'll admit it was boring and not living to potential, but it wasn't the greatest travesty on earth. Good grief, you sound like those cranky old VN codgers on every single Higurashi/Umineko post...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Avacado Burger wrote:
Now Sakura Wars, on the other hand... I CAN'T WAIT! Importing has always been out of my reasonable price range (modding, import prices, etc), so I never had the chance to play the earlier incarnations. It looks like my wishes will come true pretty soon though!

The Dreamcast games can be had for $15 or less each, if you don't need the limited editions. No need to mod the DC as long as you have a boot disc. Of course, the first two DC games were just remakes of the Saturn versions.
Cyberlink420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Ace Attorney as a game in need of an anime? Come on, man, you're missing the easy ones! Wink
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, the only games I'm looking forward to at the moment are the Xbox Live Arcade ports of Perfect Dark and After Burner Climax, and the just-announced Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Forza Motorsport 3 is taking up most of my gaming time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
^ Assuming it comes out this year, yeah, the Test Drive Unlimited sequel is also the game I'm most anticipating (and have been anticipating since 2006). I believe it'll be called Test Drive: High Life and will be set in Ibiza instead of Oahu.

Personally, I was hoping they'd just feature Oahu again, but with more detail in the cities as well as off-road circuits, but Ibiza should have some nice old world architecture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ Assuming it comes out this year, yeah, the Test Drive Unlimited sequel is also the game I'm most anticipating (and have been anticipating since 2006). I believe it'll be called Test Drive: High Life and will be set in Ibiza instead of Oahu.

Personally, I was hoping they'd just feature Oahu again, but with more detail in the cities as well as off-road circuits, but Ibiza should have some nice old world architecture.

Test Drive Unlimited was the game that more or less sold me on an Xbox 360, and I'm glad that Atari is finally getting around to a sequel.

Oh, yeah, I forgot another game I'm looking forward to: Super Street Fighter IV. Why not, it looks awesome.

Oh, and someone out there loves Sega Rally Championship a lot...

http://jalopnik.com/5485035/sega-rally-fan-turns-car-into-video+game-star?skyline=true&s=i

... although, personally speaking, it would have been much more awesome if he imported a Lancia Delta Intergrale for the project. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
While I'm at it, is anyone else excited for the Game Room app for the X360? I already own some of the XBLA versions of those games, and I'm a little irked that I can't use 'em in Game Room... but it's compatible with Windows PC, and I can only imagine how I can use it in an arcade cabinet for that extra-special touch of authenticity. Cool
Myznomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Gah, I fought Yamato Man first too. I loved Megaman 6, even when I had no idea what was going on. Many years later, when a friend gave me a pile of ROMs and I got to play all the games again while actually knowing what was going on, it was still a great experience. I just got a PS3, and my first purchase from PSN will be 9 and 10.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Still, it's time that Metroid made this leap.

I grew up on those old 2D side scrollers from consoles now landfill material. When news came out regarding Retro Studios taking the Metroid franchise into the 3D world and first person, the roar from fans objecting was deafening.

I was late getting into the GCN, and as luck would have it, turned out to be good. I bought Metroid Prime, used, for a scant $10. When I first played it, I hated it. But, no game's beaten me yet and I wasn't going to let this one.

Now, it's regarded as one of my favorites, as well as Echoes and Corruption.

However, this latest news has me wary of the changes it's about to present. One of the best aspects of the Prime series was the lone game play, which really immersed me into the environments. I was a little disturbed to hear voices in Corruption and was thankful they were limited.

I'm not getting this impression with this game, for some reason. In looking at the first image, there's just much to be fearful from. This series has always been based on Samus, despite the vague offerings of her past (and future).

When reading up on the news about the controller's ability to change views based on the positioning of the remote, I cringed. What the hell? Couldn't these people just pick one and stick with it? I'm also not impressed these views will be taken from players at certain times during the game. I despise over-the-shoulder views as I've yet to experience a game that doesn't screw up the cameras (which screws up the game play).

I don't believe Metroid is ready to make this leap, but I guess change is inevitable. In looking at the video shown at E3, I was appalled by the graphics of the fight scene. They were hideous. Too much going on, though I can't really fault the video nor rely on it as proof of the game's ability to render so many objects quickly without suffering framerate loss.

Though I felt Corruption was easy due to the remote's control system, I still loved the new elements put into play, such as controlling Samus' gunship. Freakin' awesome.

Retro Studios did a fantastic job on building the games from its original offerings by introducing new elements. I don't see this with Team Ninja's offerings (so far). Switching views isn't adding anything new and certainly not "health recharging".

I'm torn between selling my overpriced GCN 2.0 or keeping it for this title. Rumors abound Nintendo will be introducing a new Zelda game at the end of the year. Really, really torn.

I guess I can wait until July to read the reviews when they start pouring in.
IIs your avatar Cave Story's Curly Brace? If that's so, you should probably keep it.

I'm skeptical about Other M as well, but I'm willing to give it a shot considering, unlike most people, I liked Fusion. There, I said it. The first Prime game for me will always be the best. It saddens me Retro did not embrace the concept of sequence breaking, and in subsequent games made it more and more impossible for people to break from the path, which was one aspect I really liked about since Super Metroid. Even Fusion awarded you with an easter-egg for pulling off zany tricks to get to that nav room.

And people forget how powerfull the GameCube was in comparison to the PS2. I would be carefull with the way people so casually fling "2 GameCubes ducttaped" as if the Cube was some sort of weak system.

(Yeah Todd, nobody talks about Treasure games enough)
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
One game I wouldn't mind seeing turned into an anime would be . . .

ROBOT ALCHEMIC DRIVE!

Plot: Naoto,his older brother Ryo and their younger sister Yui,must operate giant mecha dubbed Meganites to battle the invading Volgara.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I lked, no, loved Metroid Fusion as well. Is that strange? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I lked, no, loved Metroid Fusion as well. Is that strange? Rolling Eyes
I never understood why people hated Metroid Fusion. It isn't as linear as the die-hard fans would make you believe. Besides, pretty much in the Prime series, Retro has been very aversed to sequence breaking down from Prime 2 onwards. If you ask me, Fusion at least didn't penalized its future installments with anti-sequence breaking game modifications.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4