• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Starts DVD-on-Demand Service with Rave Master

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
40 dollars for a dub only DVD-R? Confused
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm not really sure why ImaginAsian Entertainment's venture into this type of thing didn't work out, maybe it was the title they chose. I've always thought DVD print-on-demand was kind of a good idea...

As soon as I saw the headline I had a vague memory of hearing Justin say it doesn't work. Does anyone recall which ANNCast this came up in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm not really sure why ImaginAsian Entertainment's venture into this type of thing didn't work out, maybe it was the title they chose. I've always thought DVD print-on-demand was kind of a good idea...

As soon as I saw the headline I had a vague memory of hearing Justin say it doesn't work. Does anyone recall which ANNCast this came up in?

I wanna say the Carl Macek interview, but I'm not sure. IIRC, production costs were overly expensive, and I think the replication company ran into financial troubles or something.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
40 dollars for a dub only DVD-R? Confused

$50 for a sub-only 13 episode set from NeoADV? Confused Heh, $40 for a 51 episode anime series, be it Dub-Only, is still a really good value.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
If you don't know anything about CreateSpace, it's a business where you send them a master for your material (be it a DVD, CD, or book), and then they sell it through their site and/or Amazon. They don't actually produce any of the discs until someone orders them, so there are no inventory costs.

So, if I understand you correctly, you actually get a physical DVD by mail rather than downloading the ISO image to burn yourself? The linked article didn't really make that clear and left me wondering whether there were DRM controls.
scorpionmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Well it's nice to see that Rave Master isn't forgotten. I loved it when it first came out, but when I started reading the manga, I loved it much more than the anime. In truth I don't think the anime was marketed very well in North America due to all the edits they made. The depiction of the story in the manga is more matures. Also the anime doesn't even cover half of the manga story line. It features some of my favourite voice actors, who have exploded since then. The Voice acting wasn't bad, but the edits really hurt the overall feel of it.

If Rave Master could be redone, it should be done like FMA Brotherhood, with minimal edits.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
If you don't know anything about CreateSpace, it's a business where you send them a master for your material (be it a DVD, CD, or book), and then they sell it through their site and/or Amazon. They don't actually produce any of the discs until someone orders them, so there are no inventory costs.

So, if I understand you correctly, you actually get a physical DVD by mail rather than downloading the ISO image to burn yourself? The linked article didn't really make that clear and left me wondering whether there were DRM controls.

You definitely get a physical disc. The difference is when they make it. Normally, a company makes or has another company make a bunch of copies in advance and ships them to whatever stores are going to sell them. They, therefore, have to accurately gauge how many they're really going to sell (or risk losing a lot of money on returned inventory), and they have to have the money to produce the discs up front.

CreateSpace, on the other hand, uses a make on demand model. They only burn the disc once it's been ordered. So, you'd order the DVD at amazon.com or createspace.com and then within the the next day or so, they'd burn the disc, print off the cover, package them, and ship them. That way, there's no inventory waiting to be sold. Only discs which have already been bought are made.

So, you'd definitely get a physical disc with CreateSpace. The difference is when they actually make it. The only real differences for you would be that you'd have to buy it from amazon.com or createspace.com rather than somewhere like rightstuf or Best Buy, and the packaging is quite standardized without any fancy packaging (standard DVD case with whatever artwork they put on the cover).
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
but it's still bit UNFAIR the tv series to me is still INCOMPLETE really don't like the ending so to be continued style?

really when there going to bring back with new eps really it's just anime version is NOT done yet.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Huh?

Anyways, a 3 month old thread really isn't the place to air that out, particularly if it doesn't directly have anything to do with the actual article. If you have issues with the series otherwise, create a thread on it in the anime forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
I haven't been able to find this set on amazon I've looked several times.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah I can't find it either. The createspace on-demand DVD page is gone. Was it even available before?

Though not a big loss for me since it's dub-only! Evil or Very Mad ..which makes no sense as there's no loss on TP's part for including the sub and original JP audio I presume
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2