• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Baka & Test, Dance in the Vampire Bund

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
Because it's slow, boring, and unanimously inferior to the manga?

Nope, Funi licenses tons of shows like that. The OP to Bund however.....
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else think the title for the former leaves something to be desired? I'd've preferred "Idiots, Tests, and Summoned Beasts."
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
gaizin33 wrote:
I'm curious, after the horrid verdict of the Handley case, how is Funi going to handle the nudity/sexuality of an underage looking (she is a vampire so she's over 18, honest!) character. I imagine we'll be getting lots of mysterious steam and strange edits...

I'm tired of people making arguments like this over the Handley case. Unless Dance in the Vampire Bund features explicit exploitation of unquestionably underage girls, there's nothing to worry about. Innocent fanservice isn't going to get anybody locked up.

Also, this has clear artistic merit. So it would be difficult to call obscene anyway.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
A bit surprised to see Bund licensed, though the objectionable material is almost entirely one scene in episode 2 (it may be icky, but it isn't something to worry about). The OP is more "What were they thinking?", but nothing really major. A bigger problem is that the show is mediocre in almost every way. The pacing is awful and the show is frequently just plain dull.

I imagine Baka to Test should do better than Bund, but for me it was totally forgettable. I watched 2 episodes, barely chuckled at all, and didn't bother with any more.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyone look on Funimations website, they are selling each episode as down loadable content with subtitles for $1.99 a piece.

I think its a smart move to make extra money. If a lot of people buy them it will add up.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
So far in Bund there's been no sexual content, some nudity, but no sexual content. Also the fact everyone else except Mina is 16/17 (do corect me if I'm wrong there) would be more of the issue.

We've expected this for ages (though not streaming them), mostly as Baka to test wasn't on crunchroll depite airing on TV Tokyo. DVD rights are harder to sell without the streaming rights so we assume somone was already after them, or rather Bund and they were bundelling them together.

Now to wait and see if funi have been sensible and have some rights for other regions (not that their geoblocking is particularly sane, eg. we can stream some things but not view their website).
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I wonder when Funi will release these shows in the US (Blu Ray release).
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
Sweet, I wonder when Funi will release these shows in the US (Blu Ray release).

My Guess based on their history: The DVD's will be released March 2011.

I am surprised that Funi got Bund. I would've thought MB for that. So that's why they didn't get Hell Girl s. 2. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
What would be really nice is if these were the launch titles for their long awaited not-shodojo portal, and they sorted out whatever technical/legal or whatever issue it is preventing streaming outside the US even for all titles, even those they have the European rights for. Not sure I'm quite following how they are playing catch up here - if I understand correctly they are putting up four episodes then start simulcasting a week later - but that will be episode 9. Either they will at some point inbetween be added the missing 4 episode or they will be running a month, rather than a few days behind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Excited about the licenses, but I GOTS to give ANN a nice pat on the back for using a very awesome pic of Mina Tepes in the article.

Good Stuff.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Bund is more lolitastic than KnJ. Kind of funny to see that one picked up.

As for Baka Test, I can't watch that show without gg's subs to up the bro-ness. A literal translation would probably just bore me, and I doubt FUNi would be as creative.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Bund and Baka & Test, really? So many other good shows that you could have picked and you guys go after this. Good job coming up short again Funi.

spoiler[In b4 someone complains about what I wrote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mabber36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Vampire Bund and Baka & Test, really? So many other good shows that you could have picked and you guys go after this. Good job coming up short again Funi.

What other good shows? Durarara and bantorra are already licensed by crunchyroll.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

OK, like what? What other good shows are there this season?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Who wants to watch Bund starting with episode 8?

No one will. They're starting with the first two and four episodes for Baka and Test and Vampire bund respectively on Friday, and they'll catch up to both starting March 10th and 12th after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8