• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Baka & Test, Dance in the Vampire Bund

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The other article about this same announcement, seems to be more explicit:

Quote:
Flower Mound, TX – March 4, 2010 -- FUNimation® Entertainment has acquired digital, broadcast, home video and merchandise rights to the fantasy anime series “Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts” (known in Japan as Baka to Test to Shōkanjū) and the supernatural action anime series “Dance In The Vampire Bund” and the from Media Factory. The agreement gives the American anime leader exclusive rights to the online streaming and simulcast of both series in the U.S.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:
Hopefully the Funimation subs will not try too literal of a translation.

Seems they're not going to be able to win here. Already people are saying they're set to complain if the translation is too literal, and we know that people are going to complain if they take liberties in their localization. It's pretty tiresome.

knowing Funi, the sub should be literal enough to work, while the dub will be loose enough to make it unwatchable to people like me that prefer sticking to what's really being said. So it should please both camps, I guess.

Nice to see Baka Test picked up, as it's hilarious. I'm not fond of streaming, though I agree that at least it gives an alternative to GG's "bro" trolling. Cool At least, I'd hope the subs would be better than that. It is odd to simulcast them so late in the game though.

I look forward to the DVD/BD release provided they encode them properly. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
AJtheFourth wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
But seriously, unless it was part of the package, why on earth did Funi pick up Bund? It's going to please no body; it won't please the fans of the manga, it can't possibly please other people and it doesn't please the people with ... *cough* "Acquired Tastes in women" because it doesn't even go there outside of it's utterly baffling opening.

I'm pretty sure it was part of the package. At least, according to an interview that the fansub group gg did with a member of Crunchyroll (Warning: NSFW language). Apparently, Crunchyroll had wanted to pick up Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, but it came part and parcel with Dance in the Vampire Bund, which was a far more expensive license.

As for Bakemonogatari, seeing as it's still unfinished and also the best-selling television Blu-ray release ever, I doubt that it will get licensed anytime soon, although I agree with whoever said that it will get licensed eventually.

Sam: Here’s a tidbit for you: Baka to Test wasn’t simuled because of Vampire Bund.
Jaka: How come?
Sam: Someone expressed interest in the vampire show (shocking! I know) and MediaFactory thinks it could force them to bundle Baka with it so they don’t want to give it up to CR for cheap.

Date of Interview: January 10 2010. My Mind = Blown!
loka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Baka & Test gets my vote for best anime of the season. Good job Funi
Ahiru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
True, but as noted earlier, there's yet to be even a hint of Phantom getting a DVD release. It will probably happen, but it isn't an indication to wait with baited breath.

Oh, Edo Rocket! is another example...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

They've licensed it for simulcast/streaming, that doesn't mean they have it for DVD release.

Like I pointed out before, Funi has even put up mini-sites for these shows (like what they've done for Oh Edo Rocket but not for Phantom). And, didn't they start showing Phantom much earlier in the run (ie, when people were still watching the show and they could make ad revenue off of it)?

And thanks to who posted that interview link. Quarkboy actually confirmed the second season of Tegami Batchi before the news picked it up (although it was on a weekend admittedly) so I was really starting to wonder what he did with CR.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
zanntos wrote:
The anime is somewhat tamer than the books amusingly enough.

You mean a horribly animated production. They could've at least stuck slightly to the manga storyline, but no. spoiler[The use of a Variety Show to expose one of the panelists as a Vampire coupled with Mina's revelation of Vampires to Japanese society by acting like an innocent audience member in Gothic Lolita clothing was irksome.]
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
Well, this is certainly good news - not that I know much about either series, but it's always a good sign to see more simulcasting. Go FUNimation!

Same here. I've only seen the first ep. of Baka Test and none of DVB yet, but they both seem promising, and Baka Test in particular was absolutely hilarious so far.

Does this also mean FUNi will be dubbing the series eventually?
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
keikanki wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
Dance in the Vampire Bund was something I never expected to get licensed and anyone who knows anything about the show can probably guess why.

Because it's slow, boring, and unanimously inferior to the manga?
my god. never before as a post had so much truth in it.

But seriously, unless it was part of the package, why on earth did Funi pick up Bund? It's going to please no body; it won't please the fans of the manga, it can't possibly please other people and it doesn't please the people with ... *cough* "Acquired Tastes in women" because it doesn't even go there outside of it's utterly baffling opening.

There are plenty of fans of the manga who have enjoyed the anime so far, myself included. It's just the complainers seem attracted to this forum; case in point:

Quote:
As people have said, they licensed the wrong damn Shaft show.

Whining about not getting the show you wanted never gets old, does it?

Hon'ya-chan wrote:

You mean a horribly animated production. They could've at least stuck slightly to the manga storyline, but no. spoiler[The use of a Variety Show to expose one of the panelists as a Vampire coupled with Mina's revelation of Vampires to Japanese society by acting like an innocent audience member in Gothic Lolita clothing was irksome.]

Actually, that was Brilliant. An interesting and welcome change from how the manga handled that situation.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about the Bund anime being inferior has finally given the chance to post this comic strip. Thank you Funimation for opening this door of opportunity for me.

http://www.mistakesofyouth.com/index2.php?id=moy_comics/181/index

I haven't seen the show or read the manga, but I still found it funny because it happens to all anime adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Manga fans are never satisfied with anything but nothing. Ugh. Even when the thing is too faithful to the manga they mourn. Ugh.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The billy goats are on vacation, so the trolls had to seek their prey elsewhere. Sadly ANN has a strictly no troll policy. - Keonyn
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Rawr and stuff!

I suppose you're one, since you seem to know that fact. I bet you wear cat ears too. Eww. Neko mimi modo desu ~ unya
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Usually the big licensing announcements show up during cons. These didn't, and the way I hear they are being released makes me wonder if they are destined for a "streaming only/download only" model.

That was the case years ago, but these days hardly any company waits for conventions to make their licensing announcements. I can only think of a very few titles that companies have managed, or wanted, to keep under wraps until an actual convention. Most licensing announcements at conventions have been known about for a week or better prior to the convention. So, you really can't take anything away from how they've done these announcements.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Vampire Bund and Baka & Test, really? So many other good shows that you could have picked and you guys go after this. Good job coming up short again Funi.

spoiler[In b4 someone complains about what I wrote]

What other good shows? Durarara and bantorra are already licensed by .

Who says the shows have to be from Crunchyroll. Go for some rescues or something.

DmonHiro wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Vampire Bund and Baka & Test, really? So many other good shows that you could have picked and you guys go after this. Good job coming up short again Funi.

spoiler[In b4 someone complains about what I wrote]

OK, like what? What other good shows are there this season?

Who says it has to be from this season. Go back 2-3 years or something.

I'm tired of cheap fanservice shows(Yes Baka to Test and VB are cheap fanservice shows, deal with it). There are much more deserving shows Funimation could have got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8