• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Baka & Test, Dance in the Vampire Bund

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Bund is a cheap fanservice anime, you say? Watch it first. The whole thing, of course. That or explain to us why would Funi pay for two anime when only one is obviously worth dubbing.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Funimation you just know what to give me. Never expected them to license these shows to quickly. I really like the manga of Dance in the Vampire Bund and the whole idea of the show. I will definitely like to see this dubbed. I also, like the whole story behind Baka & Test.

Although, not to rain on anyone's parade but doesn't Baka & Test seem like the same thing as Special A (well I quess more like an inverse of Special A but still the same concept). I mean they license this (not even when it's done releasing) but they passed on Special A? Kinda sucks that that is the case, But glade they got this show at least. Don't get me wrong, I'm more then glad to see this show licensed, just wondering why a show just like it didn't make the cut and this one did. That's all. Razz

I must say, funimation just seem to be getting more and more shows this year. I mean if you go count the shows that were announsed last year to air this year. How many will that be?

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Netstryke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Shocked FUNIMATION BLINDSIDE!! Shocked

I did not see Vampire Bund coming especially THIS SOON!! This is a pleasant surprise. It's nice to see a Anime company doing a few more "grown up" titles in their repertoire. I wonder what they'll do when they see the Opening. Wink Wink
Seljuk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I'm tired of cheap fanservice shows(Yes Baka to Test and VB are cheap fanservice shows, deal with it). There are much more deserving shows Funimation could have got.

..someone hasn't been watching, clearly Wink

And chalk up another fan of gg's bro subs.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Although, not to rain on anyone's parade but doesn't Baka & Test seem like the same thing as Special A (well I quess more like an inverse of Special A but still the same concept). I mean they license this (not even when it's done releasing) but they passed on Special A? Kinda sucks that that is the case, But glade they got this show at least.

It was a package deal.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I'm tired of cheap fanservice shows(Yes Baka to Test and VB are cheap fanservice shows, deal with it). There are much more deserving shows Funimation could have got.

..someone hasn't been watching, clearly Wink

And chalk up another fan of gg's bro subs.

Sorry, I don't want to kill my brain cells
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Sorry, I don't want to kill my brain cells

Just like you're doing to us with your comments? Pretty selfish if you ask me. Why don't you follow me example and be a nice girl.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Sorry if I want to express my opinion. You may be happy with this "godly" acquisition as everyone is making it sound, but I'm not, and I'll say what I'll feel about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Sorry if I want to express my opinion.

Expressing your opinion about something you haven't seen wholly. Blind opining? Just like blind buy, though in this case you don't know what you're opining about, other than the cover. Yes, judging a book from its cover has been proven to be extremely effective since ancient times.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news. I haven't watch Vampire Bund as of yet, but I've definitely been watching Baka to Test. It's one of the funniest anime that I've seen in a while. It's pure genius. And since it's Funi, we know it's going to get a dub. This announcement is definitely music to my ears.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Vampire Bund is more lolitastic than KnJ. Kind of funny to see that one picked up.

As for Baka Test, I can't watch that show without gg's subs to up the bro-ness. A literal translation would probably just bore me, and I doubt FUNi would be as creative.

But that's what Funi's known for. They're always massaging their translations to flow better and work better in English than a fairly literal translation would. They're frequently criticized for it, in fact. Whether they'd go about it quite the same way as gg, I don't know, but there's no way that they're going to go for a super literal translation.

Personally, I don't like gg's subs because the language in it is far too strong (frequent f-bombs and the like), whereas as other fansubs' translations for Baka to Test and translations for the same or similar phrases in other shows don't end up being strong swear words.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Vampire Bund is a cheap fanservice anime, you say? Watch it first. The whole thing, of course. That or explain to us why would Funi pay for two anime when only one is obviously worth dubbing.

Just that one image in the article for this thread raises all kinds of red flags.

And as for why FUNimation would want this, there's money to be made in lolicon pedophilic moe garbage. It's basically what's keeping the industry alive in Japan right now, and they're banking on those types of American fans wanting to put money towards this stuff as well.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
All this talk about the Bund anime being inferior has finally given the chance to post this comic strip. Thank you Funimation for opening this door of opportunity for me.

http://www.mistakesofyouth.com/index2.php?id=moy_comics/181/index

I haven't seen the show or read the manga, but I still found it funny because it happens to all anime adaptations.

They gutted the manga. This isn't an adaptation but something pretty much new. Most of the stuff in the manga is NECESSARY later on. They made it much more cliche.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Bitch, bitch, bitch; whine whine whine. Once again a license-announcement thread has delved into the same old boring crap with the same ol' whiners whining about the same ol' thing. And seriously, its gotten to the point that the moment I see someone is comparing an anime to its manga counterpart I immediately stop reading and ignore any further comments of the series in question made by said user completely. You peeps are annoying.

FUNi doing more simulcasts at all is a good thing, even if they didn't get your desired show. They're trying to meet one of the big desires of anime fans (shortening the time to release to the public) and yet people still talk crap on them for not chosing "their show"? Ungrateful...
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Hon'ya-chan wrote:

You mean a horribly animated production. They could've at least stuck slightly to the manga storyline, but no. spoiler[The use of a Variety Show to expose one of the panelists as a Vampire coupled with Mina's revelation of Vampires to Japanese society by acting like an innocent audience member in Gothic Lolita clothing was irksome.]

Actually, that was Brilliant. An interesting and welcome change from how the manga handled that situation.

Brilliant you say?

I could think of 5 different ways that Mina could reveal the existence of Vampires and the Bund. Not one of them is so insipid as spoiler[hiding in a Japanese Variety Show Audience while hunting down a rogue vampire. Oh, and shaky camera recording of that vampires death FTMFF.]

the Rancorous wrote:
Bitch, bitch, bitch; whine whine whine. Once again a license-announcement thread has delved into the same old boring crap with the same ol' whiners whining about the same ol' thing. And seriously, its gotten to the point that the moment I see someone is comparing an anime to its manga counterpart I immediately stop reading and ignore any further comments of the series in question made by said user completely. You peeps are annoying.

Pot calling the kettle black.

DitVB actually seems to be suffering from what Hollywood does with established properties. Basically ignoring the source material and adopting a whole new perspective in the matter. Heck, the most insulting aspect of the anime is that spoiler[Akira is shown as a complete jerk in outright denying the existence of Vampires in retrospect to the manga.]
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
DitVB actually seems to be suffering from what Hollywood does with established properties. Basically ignoring the source material and adopting a whole new perspective in the matter. Heck, the most insulting aspect of the anime is that spoiler[Akira is shown as a complete jerk in outright denying the existence of Vampires in retrospect to the manga.]

1st: Akira wasn't a jerk he LOST his memories. But you didn't even watch that far, didn't you?

2nd: The manga AUTHOR asked for the anime to be different from his manga.

Do some research, before you get all high-and-mighty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8