• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kurt in Earnest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
tempest wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Lupin is pronounced "LU-PAHN".

Actually, it's a French name, and it's pronounced "Lou Pehn."

Of course, expecting you to pronounce it the French way is silly of me, isn't it? Maybe I should just let you pronounce it the way that is most comfortable to you.

-t

ルパン三世 (Rupan Sansei) is clearly pronounced "RU-PAHN SAHN-SAY" (Lupin III) in the Japanese versions, but if the intention is that the "r" sound is an "l", it's "LU-PAHN".

The franchise theme song is a long chorus of "LU-PAHN THE THIRD". The same song that's in pretty much every TV special and movie since the '78 TV series.

I'm not usually a stickler for pronunciation, but when the damn theme song pronounces it for you, there you go.

Engrish FTW! Rolling Eyes
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I really like Lupin, but even so, it's not the kind of thing that I'm likely to watch every episode of. I always have a hard time finishing comedies - even those that I really like. They like the action, drama, suspense, etc. which make it so that you have to see the next episode to find out what happens. It's the achilles heal of every episodic show, and it's that much worse for comedies which tend to lack plots (though Lupin does better in that regard than many - at least within an episode). To really get me to keep watching, you need an overarching plot of some kind, and comedies almost always lack that. It's actually one of the strengths of anime that so much of it actually has a plot which continues from episode to episode rather than being episodic. But Lupin definitely doesn't fall in that category.

It's definitely a shame that Lupin hasn't done better in the US, but with how old it looks (even the new stuff tends to look older due to the art style), and how it's just another comedy (albeit a fairly good one), it just doesn't stand out enough, I guess.

As for the Castle of Cagliostro, I find it funny that Zac thinks that that was a particularly good one, but I guess that comes from the fact that he doesn't care for Lupin in general. Cagliostro tends to very much be what Lupin isn't. It had some good stuff in it, but it was not a raucous, hilarious adventure like Lupin usually is. It was going more for the cute, fairy tale type of story which, while not entirely un-Lupin, really isn't where they typically take Lupin stories, and it's certainly not Lupin at his best.

The Lupin special that I'd like to see come over here though is Lupin III vs Detective Conan. The fact that it covers two different franchises, both of which have been release by Funimation probably increases its chances. But the fact that neither of those franchises have been huge hits doesn't help. Here's to hoping though.

penguintruth wrote:
tempest wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Lupin is pronounced "LU-PAHN".

Actually, it's a French name, and it's pronounced "Lou Pehn."

Of course, expecting you to pronounce it the French way is silly of me, isn't it? Maybe I should just let you pronounce it the way that is most comfortable to you.

-t

ルパン三世 (Rupan Sansei) is clearly pronounced "RU-PAHN SAHN-SAY" (Lupin III) in the Japanese versions, but if the intention is that the "r" sound is an "l", it's "LU-PAHN".

The franchise theme song is a long chorus of "LU-PAHN THE THIRD". The same song that's in pretty much every TV special and movie since the '78 TV series.

I'm not usually a stickler for pronunciation, but when the damn theme song pronounces it for you, there you go.

His name's always getting butchered one way or another. The Japanese do not pronounce it correctly (it is French after all), but that's not at all surprising. Added to that, you get at least a couple different pronunciations when it gets dubbed into English. So, his name gets pronounced differently left and right.

However, the Japanese definitely pronounce it Lup-pahn as you say. Personally, I don't care too much. I can pronounce it correctly in French, but there's no way they're going to do that in either Japanese or English unless they've actually learned some French (I don't think that either language really has the correct vowel sound for the "in" at the end of Lupin). But if you want to stick to what the Japanese say, then it's Lup-pahn.

Regardless, given that the Japanese don't even pronounce it correctly, and most people who aren't French won't either, I think that it's a bit silly to worry about it much.

Also another fun piece of Trivia that some of you may not know is that Lupin III is based off of a series of french novels from the early 1900's . All Monkey punch did was create a unauthorized grandson of the original character ,that's why earlier translations outside of Japan Lupin III is renamed,it's only because the copyright has expired that He can now be called Lupin.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
I usually like scanlations to get a first impression on a series, but there are two things that, more and more, keep me from reading them.

1. availability

There are many series being scanlated, but far from all of them. There are simply way too many manga series out there.
And somehow I just seem to be interested in those titles without any scanlation to be found on the whole world wide web. And it's not even like those series are so weird or whatever. F.ex. After School Nightmare, Song of the Hanging Sky or Honey & Clover. These series have never been scanlated or at least not completely. (I'm not counting the simple scans of official US releases, which did appear here and there afterwards.)

Saint Young Men has been mentioned. It's an awesome series, but from what I see only the beginning was scanlated, I guess they are quite a bit behind the japanese release. Same goes for other series. They are volumes behind the japanese release and a new chapter might come out once in 6 months ^^; No scanlations to be found for mature titles like "Children of the Sea" or the mentioned "With the Light" either (dunno about simple scans).
Only the really big series (I admit, there are quite a few of them) seem to get their chapters released within days after it was published. For other series you can wait for months to get a new chapter or nothing at all. Or I don't have the right sources Wink

Some series will be available faster in an official version than online and others are available only online, others only in real life and the rest nowhere, except the original version.
People looking only at scanlations are bound to miss some great series.

2. translation quality

this one varies greatly from release to release, depending on the person who did it. But too many scanlations are simply a pain to read. They feel like they were translated by a non-native english speaker - which is fine, but that's not high quality and sometimes really incomprehensible. Sometimes I can only guess what a sentence is supposed to mean, and sometimes not even that. Not to mention plain translation mistakes, which have been also quite common (or I'm just chosing the wrong series xD ). There are really well done scanlations - like Shin Angyo Onshi (and there is absolutely no excuse that this series still hasn't been published in english, as it simply is one of the best mangas I've read so far), but often, when I felt that a scanlation is more or less well written (as in "normal, comprehensible english sentences") it turned out to be a simple scan of the official US release oO;;

So, it feels to me that scanlations are still much less organized than fansubs and it's not like everything is available online. But I suppose the amount of series available is huge enough for people to be satisfied with only that. And I have to agree that many people seem to not know or do not want to know about what is actually available in their country.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Heroic Age is easily spotted as an epic storytelling and engrossing story that keeps you watching. I felt a shiver when I saw the first episodes. It's a powerful aura surrounding this anime because of the actors and story between the races very well done. No reason it wouldn't sells great at all. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5