• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Dance in the Vampire Bund Edits

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
You know, we can have young girls being murderkilled to death in Higurashi just fine but as soon as tits are involved all bets are off.

Boobs of a young girl and murder are 2 completely different things. I really hope you understand what you are actually saying here?

It shouldn't matter. Once again, violent themes are "safer" than sexual themes.
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Funimation is too scared to reply to their fans.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Bored_Ming wrote:
I pity the Streaming/DVD reviewer Zac assigns to Bund.

I hope Brian doesn't have to answer any questions.

Oh, poor Erin with Shelf Life. Sad days to come.

ANN may just want to pretend Bund does not exist. Cause it will be a talkback cluster**** for a long time. You may want to treat it like a raving lunatic that smells like old cheese. Don't make eye contact and slowly back away...

In all fairness, I've heard its a terrible adaptation to begin with, but this isn't about the quality of the series and hasn't been from the start.

I wasn't commenting on the quality. I was commenting on the fact that when this show comes up in the future it will generate the same talkback posts over and over. ANN's very own Endless Eight.

Any personal commentary by the ANN staff will result in their getting a giant **** sandwich from either side of this arguments aisle. But I'm sure they are all used to it by now. Excelsior!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yeah, she looks all of 14 years old instead of 10. That totally makes it appropriate. [/sarcasm] So where exactly is the cut-off?

There is a tremendous difference between a 9 year old and a 14 year old girl and it has nothing to do with the body. Talk to them and it's instantly apparent. One thinks boogers are funny while the other doesn't.

The very fact this vampire chose a 9 year old girl is problematic for many people when it comes to this scene. I could very well ask why the creators didn't turn her 14. Appropriate, maybe not, but the perceptions people place on age isn't going to change.

A 14 year old girl can protect herself much better than a 9 year old. She fully understands the issues of sexual interaction, whereas a 9 year old may not. Perception, not actual, is the issue here.

FUNimation's decision was based on how we, people, will perceive a 9 year old girl despite the fact the character itself is not. If anyone believes it's easy to forgo these perceptions, then they know something I don't, and worse, they're not sharing what they know.

It's important to also remember this is a cartoon we're talking about. They don't have ages, but the perception still remains.

Tell me, Dorcas_Aurelia, when Nanoha is going through a transformation scene, can you honestly state you don't perceive her as a girl in the third grade? If you do, I'd kill to have your ability.

Quote:
It's okay to show a girl being sexually abused by a woman, but not a girl to attempt to seduce a man? Is there a rational explanation for this?

I didn't say it was okay. I just said it's more tolerable. The rational is quite simple: women are less likely to perform these acts than men are, thus, for some viewers, it's more likely to be seen as less offensive. And yes, it most certainly is a double standard.

Quote:
If you had, you'd have obviously Mimi (the purple-ish white haired girl) rather loudly protesting being forced to endure sex with another woman.

I saw it. The link didn't work for me. So, I skimmed the entire episode. I wasn't please with what I saw, just for the record. I've never, ever been a fan of forced sexual advances.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
You know, we can have young girls being murderkilled to death in Higurashi just fine but as soon as tits are involved all bets are off.

Boobs of a young girl and murder are 2 completely different things. I really hope you understand what you are actually saying here?

Yeah. One is scorned because we live in a nation of repressed sexuality, and the other is spammed to the point of desensitization for whatever reason even though its entirely heinous.

Also, has anyone brought up how FUNi has a clip of Rin on their stream site entitled "The rape of Mimi"? Yeah, rape is A-OK for mature audiences but god forbid they see an exposed flat chest!
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It's okay to show a girl being sexually abused by a woman, but not a girl to attempt to seduce a man? Is there a rational explanation for this?

I didn't say it was okay. I just said it's more tolerable. The rational is quite simple: women are less likely to perform these acts than men are, thus, for some viewers, it's more likely to be seen as less offensive. And yes, it most certainly is a double standard.

Ah, the old "it can't be rape if it's yuri" claim, will you never cease?

Anyone with any knowledge of sexual abuse knows there is no such thing as a tolerable kind of sexual abuse... also, how the hell is rubbing sun lotion on a girl sexual abuse? Is the guy rubbing it on her getting off on it?
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Bored_Ming wrote:
I pity the Streaming/DVD reviewer Zac assigns to Bund.

I hope Brian doesn't have to answer any questions.

Oh, poor Erin with Shelf Life. Sad days to come.

ANN may just want to pretend Bund does not exist. Cause it will be a talkback cluster**** for a long time. You may want to treat it like a raving lunatic that smells like old cheese. Don't make eye contact and slowly back away...

In all fairness, I've heard its a terrible adaptation to begin with, but this isn't about the quality of the series and hasn't been from the start.

I wasn't commenting on the quality. I was commenting on the fact that when this show comes up in the future it will generate the same talkback posts over and over. ANN's very own Endless Eight.

Any personal commentary by the ANN staff will result in their getting a giant **** sandwich from either side of this arguments aisle. But I'm sure they are all used to it by now. Excelsior!

Good, KoJikan is a much better product anyway and I enjoy seeing a lesser product having the mass scorn transferred to it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Come on Splitter, you've made more than six hundred posts here at ANN. You should know by now that instead of double- or triple-posting it is possible to edit your first post and add stuff to it. Oh, and don't quote so much text if you are only responding to one part of it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Looks like Funimation is too scared to reply to their fans.

What are they supposed to say? Do you want a daily update?

Day 1: Read 1200 forums posts, blog comments and emails - not changed out minds
Day 2: Read another 400 comments. Still not changed out minds.
Day 3: Mail server crashed, still not changed out minds.
Day 4: Biohazard scare in the mail room, turned out to be dog faeces. Not changed our minds.
Day 5: Trapped in the office due to a mob with flaming torches a pitchforks. Not changed our minds.
Day 6: Firebomb took out the lobby..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Aaaand I think that's about enough for now. This issue has been soundly beaten into the ground, and arguments have not only become repetitive but, in some cases, are also starting to stray into general discussions of censorship rather than this particular issue. We're also still seeing complaints about people misbehaving here.

Thus, it's time to lock this and focus on something else. You'll have ample opportunity to bring this issue up again when the series is available for streaming and/or DVD release review. (And for the record, I'll be happy to be the reviewer on this one.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 41 of 41